Schematics made with Vance's toolkit

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Sean_McCormick, Mar 10, 2008.

1. judge alba

judge alba senior street judge Commodore

I like this one it certainly seems like a step from the older ships to the baton rouge types. i notice some of your designs have cuvred writing on the hul how do you do that? i assume you dont do it in windows paint?

2. EliyahuQeoni

EliyahuQeoni Commodore Commodore

Redmond, Oregon, United States of America
    Thanks! Part of what led me to that design was the fact that, since I interpreted the Jefferies sketch literally, the Cochrane-Class has a cockpit style command center rather than a bridge or conning tower that is more common on Earth and Federation ships. I figure that the cockpit is an design anomoly specific to the Cochrane-Class and the warp prototype I posted above. My reasoning is that it was an influence from Alpha Centauran ship design, since I tend to ignore First Contact's portrayal of Zephram Cochran and go with the old assumption that he was actually from Alpha Centauri. Though I'm sure there is a way to rationalize it using the canon Cochrane as well.

I'm also working on a follow-up class to the Cochrane-Class that combines some of the features developed in these early warships.

3. Sean_McCormick

Sean_McCormick Captain Captain

Galactic scooby, i mainly use Paint Shop Pro 5 (which i got from a computer magazine cd-rom for 10 bucks), which can't do curved writing, so on my earlier designs i did that manually. Later i rediscovered my Photo Impact 6 (which i bought for a similar price from the bargaining bin), which i now use to add curved writing (i don't like the controls on that program, so the rest is still done in my trusty PSP). ;)

4. EliyahuQeoni

These are a few designs I've been toying with. These are very rough, basically just doodles using the components from my Justinian and Columbia classes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. darkwing_duck1

darkwing_duck1 Vice Admiral

Had a quick idea and started this...it's ugly...ok, it's FUGLY, but I kind'a like it. The Kennedy-class carrier served during the Romulan War.

Having everything "underslung: represents the idea of keeping a "clean top" for small craft approaches (they don't have to duck under or around anything. The "bridges" on top are Flight Deck Control Centers, one for the forward bay entrance, and one for the port/starboard bays. All the Engineering functions are contained in the aft portion of the secondary (primary?" hull, so you don't have a lot of major power conduits running through the craft bays.

[​IMG]

(And yes, I know I used "too modern" a nacelle for canon, but I hate the canon nacelle for that era. My universe follows on from "Enterprise", and assumes a more modern look for the 22nd century, though I am trying to stay away from the clearly 23rd century look [like the saucers, etc].)

Last edited: May 6, 2008
  6. Sean_McCormick

Nice designs, both of you!

Darkwing, your ship indeed looks to modern for the romulan war to me, more like a design from FASA's Four Years War ( happening roughly 15 years defore TOS). I like the "clean top" approach, which i too try to provide in my designs (see Lepanto ;)).

7. EliyahuQeoni

This is my latest WIP. I seem to have gotten stuck in the late 20th Century Trek-verse ;)

This is the UE Stellar Navy's Scott-Class Heavy Cruiser, which was a successor ship to the Macabee-Class, using technological and design advances that had previously been used in the Sherman-Class. After this class successfully entered service all the remaining Macabee-Class ships were eventually uprated to Scott-Class specs.

[​IMG]

8. judge alba

judge alba senior street judge Commodore

i like the scott class it's a good ship so far. i was wondering what is the turrety thingy on the secondry hull?

9. AmbassadorKosh

AmbassadorKosh Lieutenant Red Shirt

I like the Scott class aswell, but for some reason it reminds me of a mix of the Star Trek universe design style and the Babylon 5 universe design style. When I look at it, it reminds me of the Hyperion class heavy cruiser from B5 with very early style warp nacelles attached and other early Trek design ques added in. That said, the designs a good one, It's just my impression when I look at it.

10. EliyahuQeoni

Thanks!

It is meant to be a laser turret of some kind. I envisioned the Scott (as well as the above Macabee and Sherman classes) as Earth warships built to fight during the war with the Kzin (mentioned in TAS: The Slaver Weapon). I wasn't entirely sure what the weapons of that era should look like, beyond the missle launch tubes I included on the primary hull, so that turret is just a place holder until I come up with a better idea/design (unless I don't, in which case it stays! ;) )

Hmm that's an interesting observation. All I can say is that any similarity was accidental. I've never really watched B5 much at all. Now I'm going to have to look for a pic of the Hyperion and see for myself! :)

Glad you liked it!

11. EliyahuQeoni

This is a variation on the Scott-Class design. It is meant to be a successor to the Cochrane-Class, which utilized technology and design variations developed for warships during the Earth-Kzin War. I would imagine that the surviving Cochrane-Class ships were eventually uprated to this design as well.
    [​IMG]

12. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

ZOMG PAGE STRETCH

13. Capt_Jason

Capt_Jason Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Sean- Curiously enough, your Congress Class looks a great deal like my attempt at the Republic.

[​IMG]

I am thoroughly enjoying your take on the Pre-UFP Earth fleet designs. Given some texturing and color, I would say these designs might rival the Starfleet Museum in originality. Do you have a detailed historical write-up for each design?

14. darkwing_duck1

darkwing_duck1 Vice Admiral

(From Jane's Starships of the 23rd Century, 2nd Edition)

"While the Daedalus-class starship served the newborn United Federation of Planets well in what historians now call the "First Wave" of true deep-space exploration following the Romulan War, many on the Design Planning Committee at Starfleet Headquarters pointed out a number of faults with the ships. Most notable was their lack of extensive on-board science facilities and their cramped living conditions.

"Neither factor was favorable for ships expected to remain in deep space "on mission" for up to 3 years at a time. Furthermore, many maintained that the primarily military orientation of the Daedalus-es (an holdover from the wartime posture that was retained for over a decade after hostilites ceased) didn't put the Federations "best face forward" in potential first contact scenarios.

"As a result, designs were drafted for what serving officers today would recognize as a "true" explorer-type starship, with enough armament to protect itself well without appearing too much the warship, while also carrying enough on-board science facilities and personnel to allow serious first-pass science research to be conducted at more than the level of basic stellar cartography.

"The first ship of the class, the USS Nathan Bridger (named after the famous early 21st century oceanographic explorer), was launched March 21st, 2203, from the newly commissioned Utopia Planetia Starfleet Shipyard."

[​IMG]

15. Sean_McCormick

Capt. Jason, i like your take on the Republic, since this is a logical path of evolution, from the Daedalus/Horizon shape to the Constitution shape, i expected other quite similar designs being out there. Your take seems to be set a little earlier on that path in that you used components of Aridas' Horizon, while my take added one more modern design to the Daedalus/Horizon line (the Zuikaku) before introducing the saucer, which is probably a little late, since Congress is already very close to Constitution technology, with saucer and engines seem to be the "Mk I" version of the components of Constitution's "Mk II" or "Mk III" .
    An even better take probably needs custom design components which are less Horizon than yours and less Constitution than mine.

On a different note, there might be a ship design quite similar to your Republic in the same continuity as Zuikaku/Congress, probably developed at the same time as Zuikaku similar to what the soviet navy did with often developing two classes of ships of the same type at the same time with one being a more conservative and "tried and true" approach and the other a more daring and forward thinking (but of course more likely to fail) approach.

Thanks for your kind word regarding my United Earth fleet. :) There is no detailed write up on ships histories, in addition to what is written in this thread there is only a list of names and launch year of every ship. I tried to envoke the illusion with putting odd tidbits of information in the short texts, seems to have worked ;).

16. EliyahuQeoni

I posted an early shot of this upthread. It is the Bonaventure, Earth's first warp capable vessel and the prototype for what would become the Cochrane-Class explorer. The ship would eventually be refit to Cochrane-Class and later Pioneer-class specs.
    [​IMG]

Dedication Plague: http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y9...n plaques/BonaventureDedicationPlaquecopy.png
    Warp Development Patch: http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y9...s and Insignias/ProjectWarpSpeedPatchcopy.png
    Bonaventure Mission Patch: http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y9...and Insignias/BonaventurePatchtestingcopy.png

Last edited: Jun 3, 2008
  17. Sean_McCormick

Nice work on the grid structures!

Agrippa class command cruiser

[​IMG]

18. Icy_Penguigo

Icy_Penguigo Captain Captain

Oooh, I like this design a lot. It would be fun to make a Stafleet Battles SSD out of. I don't know how you, the designer, see it necessarily, but I think it would be cool as a competing design firm's submission for the Constitution class which lost out in the end to the Connie. Very similar overall design, with some key differences.

19. Sean_McCormick

Hm, might be a little too big and modern to be developed at the same time as Constitution. I thought of it as a further development of Balson and Kirov (which is from SFB i believe). But that idea intrigues me, i might develop something along that lines. ;)

With developing stats for SFB for it i cannot help, i never had the opportunity to get into that game.

20. Sean_McCormick

As inspired by Adam:

Nimrod class heavy cruiser

Build by the Salazaar shipyards in 2245 as submission for Starfleet's new heavy cruiser request. While the Nimrod performed as well in the trials as the main competion (the Constitution submitted by San Francisco Fleet Yards), the latter was chosen and only the three prototypes Nimrod(CH1695), Churchill(CH1696) and Roanoke(CH1697) were build.

All three were comissioned by Starfleet ,Nimrod was decomissioned in 2268 after suffering heavy damage while fighting a klingon cruiser group, delaying the klingons long enough for a starfleet taskforce (ironically led by Nimrods competitor Constitution(CH1700)) to intercept them before they reached their target. Her exterior was restored and she now in display at the Starfleet Museum.
    Churchill and Roanoke were refitted to Enterprise class standard in 2273 and 2275.

Nimrod in prototype marking
    [​IMG]

Nimrod pre refit in 2255 (note added lift on top of hangar)
    [​IMG]

Nimrod after 2255 refit.
    [​IMG]