Marvel All New, All Different - Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 30, 2010.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: Heroic Age/Avengers Ongoing Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

I don't think so. Marvel should just so it pisses me off to the point where I choose DC permanently until Marvel comes up with something actually constructive or someone comes along and fixes what Joe Q has done to my precious Spider-Man.

2. Admiral_Young

Finished reading issue three of Avengers and the cover for it is a little misleading. There was some great banter between Jessica Drew and Peter in this book and Tony, Captain America, and Nor-Varr go into the future. Oh and a corpse like Wanda was one of "Apocalypse's" Four Horsemen.

3. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I was disappointed it wasn't really Apocalypse but I guess I should have expected it. I hate alternate universe versions of characters.

4. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought issue 3 wasn't any good. I think I'll just stick to Secret Avengers. I do like Avengers Academy though.

5. Admiral_Young

Issue three was certainly the worst one so far...next issue looks okay but yeah Secret Avengers is easily the best and I've no interest in Avengers Academy.

6. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Academy is not interesting me at all. I like the main Avengers (JRJR!) so far and New Avengers. Secret Avengers isn't wow-ing me so far since I don't care about Serpent Crowns or most of the characters involved. Thunderbolts is pretty cool so far with GORGEOUS moody art.

7. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So far Secret and New Avengers are keeping my attention but we'll see.....both Bendis and Brubaker are way too in love with long meandering decompression. Outside of POWERS I never met a Bendis book I didn't eventually drop because it took forever to go anywhere and Bru's Cap has been teetering on the edge for a while now.

8. DarthPipes

I loved Brubaker's work on Cap and it's translating well to Secret Avengers. It's an off-beat team with off-beat characters that makes for potentially interesting stories.

I'm also enjoying the new Thunderbolts series.

9. Admiral_Young

Bendis announced some kind of big Avengers crossover event at the Avengers panel today. Not sure exactly what it is about because details weren't given but a very nice looking banner was released.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/SDCC-2010-Marvel-Avengers-100723.html

I've yet to read New Avengers but have been meaning to.

10. DarthPipes

A crossover makes sense.

11. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

The main Avengers book is starting to frustrate me. After a great set-up in the first issue, the 2nd and 3rd issues haven't really advanced the plot all that much. It feels like Bendis is trying to stretch a story that would have been better told in four issues into six.

And what do you all think of trhe comic-con announcement that...

...Red Hulk will be joining the main Avengers team in issue #7?

12. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Yeah I read about that and that is truly WTF, but I'll be interested to see how it plays out. Kinda spoils how World War Hulks is going to end though!

As for Bendis stretching out a story unnecessarily... that's every freakin' book he's ever written :p Hell in Ultimate Spidey he doesn't even become Spidey until what #4 or something?!

13. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, that's one of the main reasons I usually end up dropping a Bendis book: he decompresses the hell out of every story. There's usually about 3 issues worth of plot in every 6-8 issues published.

That and the fact that all of his characters talk in the exact same smart-assed voice.

14. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

But for some reason, Spider-Man, the actual smart-ass character, sounds off.

15. Admiral_Young

Read issue three of Secret Avengers and it's back on track. This new Shadow Council is interesting as is Nick Fury being a part of it. Reading him call someone else Director and 'sir' was weird though. I'm convinced that he has some sort of plan regarding this organization. Possessed Nova was kind of fun though. The next issue teaser shows Steve about to put on the Nova helmet!!

16. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

The only thing I find interesting about Secret Avengers so far is the Nick Fury involvement, but I'm sure he's a) a LMD or b) undercover.

17. Admiral_Young

I forgot about the LMD but for some case where Brubaker is concerned I lean towards option number two...that he's undercover.

18. DarthPipes

My thoughts exactly. The Shadow Council/Nick Fury thing is interesting. Took me a while to get into the whole Mars storyline but I liked how it went.

Avengers #3 definitely reeked of filler so that Marvel could charge more of the trade paperback. Now what you want from a comic that is supposed to be Marvel's flagship.

19. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Looks like this will be a mini rather than a monthly but it will be crossing into the Chaos War event. I give you... The Dead Avengers! :eek:

Apparently, it will all make sense within the context of the Chaos War event.

20. Admiral_Young

Yeah I saw that story. Kind of meh.