Marvel All New, All Different - Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 30, 2010.

1. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Re: Marvel Now/ReEvolution Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

That sounds very Claremontian. ;)

2. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

I've been out of Marvel for a long time, so I just want to ask one quick question. Is Iceman stuck in his ice form these days? I haven't seen him outside of it in All New X-Men, and there was an implication that something had happened to him.

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

He's not stuck in his ice form...I believe it's been admitted by Bendis or Immonen that Bobby's mainly in his ice form to distinguish him from his younger self. When Kitty and Bobby when on their date in Wolverine and the X-Men I think a couple issues back, he was in his normal human appearance.

4. OdoWanKenobi

Speaking of which, coming back to Marvel to find Kitty and Bobby dating is hella awkward. :lol: She really likes her older men, doesn't she?

5. Admiral_Young

Yeah she does :) At least this time she's an adult when she's dating ;) Pitor and Kitty ended their relationship during "Avengers Vs X-Men". JuggerColossus basically almost lost control and nearly hit or punched Kitty while visiting her at the school. I forgot what happened now...but she basically was done with him after that.

6. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Did you all know that Kitty Pryde was a real person?

John Byrne went to artschool with her. He asked her permission. Everything was above board. However, in recent days, the "real" Kitty found it impossible to deal with how infamous and invasive her namesake had become, afterwhich she has changed her name to to K.D. Pryde.

It's like from Office space "I WAS JOHN BOLTON FIRST!!!"

(Colossus took his steel dong out this week for a good polish from one of his team-mates on X-Force. So he's moved on to.)

7. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh that's different. Should I blame The Last Stand? :lol:

8. Admiral_Young

Nope. Jason Aaron..but I suppose he was a bit inspired by the film. Bobby and Kitty started dating in "Wolverine and the X-Men" after Bobby surprised her by kissing her spontaneously in the first issue I believe.

I read Age of Ultron #1. Thought it was pretty decent for a first issue. Issue two already is slated for next week. The Hitch artwork seemed off a bit than usual. Not really much else to comment on since this was only the first issue. Interesting that Bendis is using Clint as main character in this as well.

9. Guy Gardener

Hawkeye is unkillable because he's standing next to Thor. I'm not saying that he's standing behind Thor, but when the villain is aiming his death ray, that villain, lets say a Hydra ground pounder, has to hit Thor a hundred times to scratch him, and maybe after he's shot thor a hundred times, he'll feel secure in position enough to waste a phaser zap on the friking Carnie throwing sticks at him with a rubber band.

Ditto for Black Widow.

10. OdoWanKenobi

It seems like Hawkeye is getting to be a whole lot more prominent than I ever remember him being. That could be because the average person walking down the street now knows who he is after Avengers made all the money in the world. I'm not complaining, though. Clint is a cool character, and the Hawkeye book has just been an absolute blast every issue.

11. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

He's the new Wolverine.

12. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Wow. I still have two weeks worth of books to catch up on. Where does the time go?

Anyway, here are next week's previews, Hopefully, I can elimimnate my "to read" pile before Wednesday.

My pulls incude, Age of Ultron 2, Fantastic Four 5, Fearless Defenders 2 and Uncanny X-Men 3.

13. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought they were not dating because they decided on their actual date it was better just to be friends?

14. Admiral_Young

I think that's what Kitty decided and Bobby reluctantly agreed yep :)

Next week looks huge:

-Age of Ultron #2
    -Avenging Spider-Man #18
    -Fearless Defenders #2
    -Thor: God Of Thunder #6
    -Thunderbolts #6
    -Ultimate Comics Wolverine #1
    -Wolverine #1
    -Wolverine and the X-Men #26

15. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What I'm still trying to figure out with Kitty Pryde is - how old is she supposed to be now? I mean I get that she's an "adult" now- but let's face it, Kitty was "Acting" like an adult for a loooong time now. Heck during a good part of Excalibur she was still technically a minor - there was even a subplot during the aftermath of Fall of the Mutants when she was basically foster'd to Courtney Ross that she still had to go to school and even went to this posh boarding school. And that was in the mid-late 80s.

So let's assume that she was maaaaaaybe 17-18 by the 90s - since by the end of the 90s she was doing stuff for SHIELD and was "off to college".

Now let's look at Spider-Man... presumably he's now sorta being written as being a tad more mature - but really only because Doc Ock is in his body - but I'm sure he's still in his late 20s - not quite 30 yet - since supposedly even Tony Stark is in his 30s - probably late 30s but not yet 40. Now Spider-Man's been basically in his 20s for almost 40 years - since the only time he really "aged" was when he went to college and met Harry Osborn and Gwen Stacy. And then slightly when he married Mary Jane. Even though the marriage was "Retconned" out of existance it's still accepted that the two of them spent "years" together, long enough for them to be an accepted 'thing'.

So this is my question... why is Kitty Pryde allowed to age and Peter Parker isn't? I'm sure if Kitty Pryde went up to Peter Parker - (not Octo-Pete) and started to flirt with him - I'm sure Pete's thought bubble would be like "She's legal but man why do I feel like a dirty old man?" Considering he's also dated Ms. Marvel - who is certainly past 30 given her experience in the military and it wasn't like he was dating an 'older woman' so they presumably felt they were close enough in age. Not that age would ever really be an issue with super heroes - but let's face it, Carol Danvers was working for NASA when Peter Parker was still in high school or college.

So in conclusion - Peter Parker and Kitty Pryde - Marvel's perma-kids.

16. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

^Its Franklin Richards all over again ahhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

17. Guy Gardener

Kitty left the eye of 616 at least three times.

According to Byrne in She Hulk explaining the Blond Phantom, if they're not writing about you, you're ageing and can even die of old age waiting for someone to start writing about you.

Kitty had her 16th birthday in Excalibur 15 or 16.

Kitty at boarding school, issue 32, had a cover date of December 1990, which as we all know doesn't mean December 1990 at all.

http://www.comics.org/series/3648/covers/

18. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah really! I mean geez wasn't Franklin supposed to be Kitty's boyfriend in Days of Future Past? Talk about really robbing the cradle then huh? Who would have thought that a character that was born in what? the 70s? Would STILL be a little kid even in the 21st Century?

Val I have less a problem with her being young -since she really only came into the comic in the 00's. But the fact that Franklin is still only maybe a couple years older than Val Richards is starting to push crediblity.

It's like some characters are allowed to grow and age and mature and others aren't. Even Johnny Storm, who is supposed to be pretty close to Spider-Man's age is usually either written as being far younger or slightly older- now that they had the time skip with his time in the Negative Zone I suppose he IS older now - but still acts like a kid.

Seems like Sue is really the only one that's actually grown up some - since even other super heroines sort of see as the 'mom' and other super heroes as the MILF...

It does always sort of bother me how 'young' characters are never really allowed to age and mature - at this point, we really could have, and should have been reading about Spider-Man's son and/or daughter. I think that's why I used to enjoy Spider-Girl so much, it let Peter finally grow up and put the focus on the next generation. While I wasn't completely happy with the 'next gen' of some heroes - looking at you J2 with your stupid Kurt Cobain like shirt tied around your waist.

Buuuuut - I do hope that when Doc Ock gets Pete his doctorate, that sticks for a while. I truly truly hope that Peter sort of takes some of his Superior business as a lesson like "well I didn't 'waste' my life, but... y'know this wasn't the worst thing to happen after all." And uses the second chance he's given to continue what Otto started with his life. Heck, I could even see Peter maybe starting up his own little think tank thing - I mean he's already a part of the Future Foundation sorta kinda - I'd love to actually see him pushed past that 'former teen hero' thing and maybe start training others. Maybe even and this is something I've kind of thought about since the old Civil War thing - basically in some ways he becomes the mentor and 'New Tinkerer' to the next generation of super heroes. Maybe slightly more accessible than Mr. Fantastic and Tony Stark. Like even before 700's events he was basically using villan tech for good uses. It would be kind of cool to see Peter Parker even take on a new role as a "Good Guy's Tinkerer" - someone needs a new weapon or tool or upgrade to their costume, they go to Peter Parker. Which also helps keep focus off his activities as Spider-Man since even if he's seen using something in public, everyone knows that he's the tech guy to the super tights. Maybe even make Tony Stark a bit jealous as the 'go to' tech guy. Heck, even have Mary Jane as his costume designer.

19. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Kitty's age became an issue during Warren Ellis' Excalibur run when Ellis wanted to develop a sexual relationship between Kitty and Pete Wisdom. Marvel decided that Kitty was old enough to lose her virginity to the thirtysomething Wisdom; Ellis was told to make it "tasteful," and even then their sexual relationship was less explicit than Ellis intended. (It was clear they were "doing the deed" from dialogue, but they couldn't be shown in bed together.)

20. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

Which seems to have been ignored by Whedon's run on Astonishing - either that, or Wisdom just didn't do it for like her first time with Piotr. :lol:

I assume Kitty and Spidey and other "teen/young adult" heroes are allowed to "age up" to a certain point - and then are arrested there, or at least their aging is incremental compared to where it was.