DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nightwing #0: It wasn't already on my pull list but out of curiosity I picked it up anwyay and found myself enjoying the story, but not the changes to Dick. Like with Tim, it seems to me that DC for some reason is switching around character attributes to each Robin. Dick has been given Tim's natural detective and observational skills, while Tim is given Dick's athletic prowess combined with his own detective skills. Even if this was to elevate them above each other or differentiate them from each other, I don't see the point of these changes. The art was fantastic in this. I might pick this book back up as I am a fan of Kyle Higgins.

Supergirl #0: I really enjoyed this book. I think so far it was the strongest issue that I have read from the series. Maybe because it took place solely on Krypton, and I'm a sucker for Krypton stories. I liked the examination into Kara's family life and the relationship between Zor and Jor-El. We get a big question though...as it would appear that Superboy was sent back into the past at some point, I suppose this will be touched on in the H'ell story line upcoming. I want to return to this book, but am extremely hesitant to do so.

Wonder Woman #0: So far this is among my favourite of the zero issues so far. This was just terrific and felt like a Golden Age story (helped that it also referenced one as well at the start). The relationship and dynamic with Ares was fantastic. I expect this will be followed up in the next arc by Azzy.

2. Admiral_Young

3. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Catwoman #0: A fantastic issue. It told the story of Selina Kyle growing up as an orphan and going through rough times as a young adult. We got a good glimpse into the life of a girl/young woman who became emotionally arrested due to circumstance, constant abuse and bad choices that she's had to deal with. I also liked the art. It did a great job of showing her warped inner state with the way her various faces were drawn. I gave up on the title a long time ago, but I decided to get this issue and I'm glad I did. The character bio at the back says that she joined the Justice League. Never saw that storyline.

Green Lantern: New Guardians #0: Yeah, this wasn't the background story we normally get with the #0 issues but it was a good installment. For the first time, we're getting some progress with what's been going on with Kyle and the rings. I also liked seeing Carol Ferris and her Star Sapphire identity. I see that there's some praise for the new "less ridiculous" outfit, but personally, I liked the skimpier ones better.

4. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think Catwoman joining the League is upcoming in the new Justice League of America book. As of the current storyline the JL has never expanded beyond the original members.

5. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Looks like tomorrow is a heavy pull day for me.

Aquaman, Superman, TDK, The Flash along with TMNT. I also need to pick up the final issue of "Spider-Men" which apparently came out last week and over-looked at my LCS.

6. Admiral_Young

DC pulls for tomorrow are the following:

-Aquaman#0
    -Batman Incorporated #0
    -Before Watchmen Ozymandias #3
    -Flash #0
    -Superman #0 (only because it takes place on Krypton)

7. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Not getting: I, Vampire and Voodoo. Normally I don't get Hawkman, but since its a 0 issue and I like the character I'm picking it up, in spite of Rob.

8. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Hawkman has been my biggest disappointment of the 52. He is one of my favorite characters and a year later there has been no real development. Finally the chance to give this character a fresh start, and...nothing.

9. theenglish

You think they will wait that long? Within two more years they will have the "Flashpoint Restored" saga to bring back the post-crisis but pre-Zero Hour era. :evil:

10. Admiral_Young

As long as sales continue to be as strong as they seem to be for DC we won't be seeing any kind of restoration to the DCU. If anything, they'll continue to make the retcon tweaks and changes that they've been slowly doing since it happened.

So did anyone get Justice League #0? As well it focusing on Ass Hole errrr Kewl Billy Batson, it was supposedly supposed to feature the origin of Pandora I believe?

11. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Reading a full issue convinced me that I really despise NuBilly Batson.

We didn't get a straight origin of Pandora although it's implies that she's pretty much the Pandora of legend. She opened a box and unleashed evil into the world.

12. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

There was finally a good bit to the Shazam story, where Billy tells the Wizard that nobody is all good because life wears you down and ruins good intentions.

13. Admiral_Young

14. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

15. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes but Image under him is doing a helluva job publishing creator owned stuff that they've pretty much stolen most of Vertigo's business.

16. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Today was a fairly heavy day for me:

Flash #0
    Aquaman #0
    Batman Inc. #0
    Before Watchmen: Ozymandias #3
    Talon #0

Talon was the unknown entity here, and I'm pleased to say it was good enough to keep me reading. One more for the monthly pulls, I guess.

17. theenglish

18. Admiral_Young

There was a whole thing. He went on twitter and bashed people, including Scott Snyder. The zero issue was his last issue I believe.

19. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

It wasn't intentional but I didn't end up buying any of the 0 issues: some because I had no interest (the nuBatson doesn't appeal), and some because I figure I can wait for the trade for revamped origins.

20. Admiral_Young