I finally watched Firefly! (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Savage Dragon, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I know the spoiler warning might not be necessary but just in case anyone else out there still means to watch it I thought I would include it.

With a four day weekend ahead of us and no new TV to watch my wife and I finally decided to watch Firefly. I have to say we both really liked it. It's such a shame it got canceled, but that seems to happen to a lot of shows we like.

One thing I wish I had known going into this show was not to watch it going by the original air dates. For some stupid reason the network didn't want to use the original pilot. It must have aired on Fox. Still, it didn't take away from my understanding or enjoyment of the show.

We watched the last five episodes on Saturday night so that we could watch Serenity on Sunday. The movie did not disappoint either, although it would have been nice if Shepard Book had had a little more to do in the movie.

A couple other things about the movie:

Not only did Book not have much to do in the movie, he dies and we never get to find out what his life was like before he met the crew. There was more to him than met the eye. I was also pretty bummed out by Wash's death.

I know it's very unlikely that we'll see anymore stories about the crew of Serenity but I would be very stoked if it ever happened.

2. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^There is the comic book which Joss writes. I have not read it myself.

The sad truth is that the show was cut short. There are a lot of stories they never had the chance to tell.

3. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

Yes I think Whedon had lots of back stories he wanted to tease out but it's all academic now. He did the best he could within one movie's limitations.

4. Savage Dragon

It was indeed a great flick. My biggest disappointment is that we won't get any of those back stories. :(

5. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Why did you watch it in air-date order rather than in the order laid out on the DVDs?

6. Savage Dragon

^ I didn't watch it from the DVDs. It's kind of hard to get stuff like that in Romania so I had to resort to other means.

7. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

^^

Ahh! Yeah, I'd have suggested you find the correct order online and watch them that way - it really does make a positive difference. FOX, in their 'wisdom,' showed the pilot as the last episode!

The comics take place between the series and Serenity, so you get plenty of Book and Wash action ;).

8. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

One of the major disappointments for me about the show's cancellation is that we never got to find out what Book's backstory was. He was played as this mysterious character whose ID gets you full usage of an Alliance cruiser, and had the series continued, I don't think Joss would have killed him any time soon. But it was, as you've demonstrated, a hard-hitting death for the movie script.

9. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

The working theory is that Book was a former Operative.

10. Pilot Ace

Pilot Ace Captain Captain

That's a strange set of means if they followed the broadcast order... I'm now a little curious. Did you get to watch the episodes that hadn't aired on television too?

11. Savage Dragon

^I think so. The last one I watched was the one where Mal and Zoe's friend has himself delivered to them in a coffin, apparently dead.

12. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

What about the bounty hunter? Isn't that s'posed to be the last episode?

13. DarkProphet

DarkProphet Lieutenant Red Shirt

Why don't you just order the DVDs from amazon.com?

14. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

"Objects in Space," and yes, it's the final episode.

15. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Joss Whedon prefers it that way, but The Message was the last episode filmed. Notice Whedon's cameo at the funeral.

16. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

They're not ongoing comics though. So far there has only been the 3 issue Those Left Behind released in 2005, which takes place before the movie. And the recent early 2008 3 issue Better Days, taking place between the end of the TV show and Those Left Behind
    Both are written by Whedon and Brett Matthews, who wrote the ep "Heart of Gold"

TLB is pretty good, while BD is fairly "meh"

There are plans for a new miniseries called A Shepherd's Tale, about Book's backstory, for release sometime in 2009

17. butch101

butch101 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

too bad they canceled this show. I checked this out for the first time during the holidays, and God I was sad it ended. I fell in love with every characters in less than 20 episodes. Enterprise never got me so quickly. I watched Serenity right after and loved it even more.

by the way, is there any plans to ressurect the series, or even do some sequels... I ask because I'm new in the franchise...

thanks

Butch

18. trekkerguy

trekkerguy Commodore Commodore

This show I think should be considered one of the best scifi series made
    though canceled.

The movie aswell. Not sure if it's been said one way or the other anywhere
    by Joss himself, but it would seem like once the show was canceled he wrote
    the movie to play out the rest of the series storyline in condensed form.

Amazing franchise I do hope we get more of one day.

19. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

The series, it is believed, was sacrificed under the terms by which Joss got to make the movie - its return is thus very unlikely.
    The movie, although it did fairly well for what it was, was hardly a blockbuster, and unlikely to stimulate studios to fall over themselves to make another. Besides, the movie very succinctly ties up the Firefly package. If we were gonna get more Firefly, it needed to come before the movie.

20. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

Well, first off, you must download this.

(There's a fully-produced version on the album Thirteen, which may I say is very good in its own right.)