why no 'Star Trek vs Aliens' comic series?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Khan 2.0, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd prefer a story where the Xenomorphs are native to the Star Trek universe. In the Tipton's own Star Trek/Doctor Who, they indicated that the Slitheen exist in the Star Trek universe when the Doctor shows Picard the Cyber-converted Slitheen and suggested that Picard should be familiar with them.

I'd go further than the Xenomorphs. I'd also like to see Weyland-Yutani as part of the Star Trek universe. For instance, was Noonien Soong influenced by WY's androids in his creation of Lore and Data?

2. hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hmm. When I first saw how the title to the third "Alien" movie was styled (with the 3 as s superscript, as if the title were intended to be pronounced "Alien Cubed"), I immediately thought of the Borg.

The closest I've come (or particularly care to come) to actually seeing anything from the "Alien" franchise is (1) the ending of Spaceballs (when a chest-burster emerges from John Hurt ["Oh, no! Not again!"], and promptly does an impression of Michigan J. Frog), and (2) Walt Disney World's The Great Movie Ride, where (right after the "Gangster" and "Western" rooms, guests meet "The Big Chap" face to face)

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

That would kind of have to be an alternate universe, though, since the chronologies of the two franchises don't line up. I mean, the first movie was in 2122; I guess the Nostromo's slow FTL capability could fit into the Trek timeline. But the second is in 2179 and they don't have faster warp drive or a Federation, plus Earth is kind of a corporate dystopia. Plus they have sentient androids in the 22nd century.

Markonian and ryan123450 like this.
  4. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Would any productions of the Alien/Predator/Prometheus fit with the Star Trek chronology, or as alternate timelines only?

5. Christopher

As I said, maybe the first movie in isolation could, since its technology as of 2122 isn't completely incompatible with what ENT established -- although even in the first movie, there was kind of a corporate-dystopia angle that's hard to reconcile. As for the rest of the timeline, it seems to clash pretty massively:

http://alienanthology.wikia.com/wiki/Alien_Universe_Timeline

Markonian likes this.
  6. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

wasn't Alien 4 set in the 24th century? (but then that era dosnt tally with TNG either..)

7. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Resurrection is a century after Alien 3, but I don't remember, did they specify when Alien 3 takes place? Since Aliens takes place in 2179, there's wiggle room where Alien 3 could still be in the 22nd century, therefore Resurrection would be late 23rd.

8. BJ Wagner

BJ Wagner Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

9. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No DS9 would be awesome.

10. Allyn Gibson

Maybe that's the point. Kirk and his crew dealt with inhuman threats that couldn't be reasoned with. Think of the Doomsday Machine or the Giant Space Amoeba or the space-borne parasites of "Operation: Annihilate!" They knew, to use Carl Sagan's phrase, that "the universe isn't made for us." Space travel for them was hostile, and death was never far away.

By the time of Picard, space exploration seems positively sedate by comparison. It doesn't seem as threatening, and a lot of that has to do with the kind of ship the Enterprise-D is, a ship that feels comfortable and is filled with civilians and families. Outside of the "Conspiracy" aliens (who never returned) and the first two Borg stories, I can't think of any stories where Picard and his crew dealt with inhuman monsters. Mix Aliens and NextGen, and there's a tonal clash. The Xenomorphs would put Picard and his crew out of their element -- if the Tiptons can exploit that tonal clash.

Jinn and BJ Wagner like this.
  11. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

I don't see Schwarzenegger's jungle adventure imperilled.

12. BJ Wagner

BJ Wagner Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Good point. As dark as it is, I'd kind of like to see Riker get a set of jaws in the forehead. Was never a fan of his catalog posing.

DS9 had Empok Nor which had an Alien kind of vibe for the first part of the episode, so TNG would indeed play like the most fish out of water story. Plus, that Galaxy Class starship would have an awful lot of space for a bitey creature that to skulk around in. I hope the preschool doesn't have any big air vents in it.

13. Idran

Idran Commodore Commodore

Nagilum? "Where Silence Has Lease" was probably the closest Trek ever came to cosmic horror.

14. Allyn Gibson

Honestly, so would I. I'd kinda prefer an out-of-continuity "anything goes" story where the Xenomorphs can hurt the NextGen characters. (Look at Archie vs. Predator, where the Predator slaughtered all of the Riverdale characters except for Betty and Veronica.) One of my major problems with the Tiptons' work on Assimilation2 is that I never felt the characters were in any jeopardy from the Borg/Cybermen alliance.

Oh, good one. That had slipped my mind.

The Crystalline Entity is another one I'd overlooked.

15. Christopher

As far as I'm concerned, all the crossovers are out of continuity anyway. Although I guess part of the conceit is pretending that they aren't.

Still, the Kelvinverse/Green Lantern crossover altered both universes' status quo pretty significantly, and there was no reset at the end. They're even doing a sequel.

16. Allyn Gibson

I was expecting some sort of reset button at the end of The Spectrum War... and then there wasn't one.

My theory, at the time, was that these were the Lanterns (and related characters) from the pre-Flashpoint DCU, but after Rebirth and its revelations about the DCU I'm less certain of that.

17. Christopher

Since it's clearly out of continuity with both universes, does it matter? It's just an imaginary story, free to portray the characters in whatever way fits the narrative.

And I gathered that the Green Lantern titles, along with the Batman titles, were the ones that were altered least by The New 52, because they were the best-selling titles and both had ongoing story arcs that DC didn't want to disrupt too badly.

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

This is one of the reasons I'm so interested in this, TNG didn't really do a lot of monster stories.
    Another one that had kind of an Alien vibe for some of it would be Genesis, especially once they were being chased by devolved Worf.

19. Idran

Idran Commodore Commodore

If you accept the Morrison/Waid take on Hypertime, then there is no such thing as out of continuity when it comes to DC. :p

Or I suppose you could say that it means every story is out of continuity with every other story, even every panel is out of continuity with every other panel, since time isn't exactly continuous using that.

(Of course, if you do, then it doesn't matter for an entirely different reason...)

Allyn Gibson and TheAlmanac like this.
  20. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore