The Walking Dead Season 3

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gotham Central, Jul 14, 2012.

1. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought Rick and the others believed she probably died during the collapse of the farm. Everyone was scattering, so it was a run or die situation. He knew as well as anyone that hanging around just another minute could mean losing everything/one.

2. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

The little girl zombie in the first scene picking up her toy would also support this idea.

3. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

How is a little girl zombie picking up a toy evidence of a hive mind????

Just no. There has been no evidence that brings a hive mind even close to being canon.

4. TREK_GOD_1

Zombies do not share a hive mind, or work for a common goal, but it seems like they have some ability to sense the location of humans, long before they are in range of odor, movement, etc. If that is the case, it adds another level of creepy to the situation, as it implies they will find humans no matter how far they run.

5. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

Yeah, I think that other ability the zombies have is hearing; they can hear the humans, and walk toward the sound of them. They basically walk in straight lines until something attracts their attention. Sound travels a long way in a quiet world, and all the gunshots cause the zombies to start walking towards the source.

6. Rhaven

Rhaven Captain Captain

Maybe not hive, but certainly they herd together pretty effectively.

7. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

and movement attracts them too. If one walks by another then they will follow. That's how they end up in big groups.

8. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It just occurred to me that the initial outbreak, and thus most of the walkers we see, started during the summer. We consistently see Rick and the gang suffering through the intense Georgia heat, sweating and sweltering away. And yet, the vast majority of zombies we see are all in long sleeve shirts, long pants, full length dresses, jackets, coats, and even sweaters. What gives?

And yes, I realize that it's mostly a cheat so the makeup people don't have to zombify more than the dozens of heads and pairs of hands they have to in any given day. Still, I find it strange that most of the undead in the show are dressed for a pleasant autumn or spring thaw rather than the typical 90+ degrees we saw portrayed in the first two seasons.

9. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

Someone confused "When there is no more room in hell" with "Hell froze over."

10. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

We joined the story with Rick in mid-summer, that's not to say the outbreak STARTED then. To go back to my theory again (to tie in the hospital survival), This whole thing starts earlier in spring, when Rick is shot. He's in a coma for a while and it picks up steam. Finally affects his hospital by early summer and is overrun. He's off life support for a few days, week at the most, and wakes up to a destroyed world. Fits the development of the storyline better, puts Shane/Lori into a place that makes more sense, gives time for people like Glenn to have a little experience with walkers so they don't act shocked like Rick is when they see them anymore, etc.

Haven't rewatched the first episode in a while, but in my head, that timeline fits a lot better. Otherwise, there's simply not enough time to get from 0 zombies to ruined world in the time alloted. Not without assigning Rick magically superpowers to survive in the hospital in a coma with no life support for extended periods.

11. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's a good point, the time Rick was in a coma is not explicitly mentioned - though it certainly looked hot during the premiere and Lori's flashback to when Shane came to tell her Rick was hurt, and everyone was wearing summer clothing. However, we do have this:

http://www.walkingdeadforums.com/forum/f47/long-rick-coma-398.html

"They don't make it clear in the TV show or the comics, but in episode 5 (Wildfire), Jenner says it is "Day 194 since wildfire was declared and 63 days since the disease abruptly went global". This would be the fourth day since Rick woke up. This means the disease has been spreading for over 6 months and has been an international pandemic for 2 months."

(Aside: I generally assume that "Wildfire" is a reference to "The Andromeda Strain" which features a "Wildfire" team being activated to study and defeat an alien pathogen - thus implying whatever caused the outbreak had been around for at least four months, permeating the population before somehow reaching critical mass or effectiveness and spontaneously activating, causing the global outbreak to begin.)

Anyway, assuming this is accurate, the CRAZY part of the zombie outbreak had only being going for a couple months. It would still be pretty hot for everyone to be wearing what we typically see them wearing. Not to say zombies hadn't been migrating around in the intervening time, but they generally aren't portrayed as long-distance types.

Mark

12. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

It was a cold spring and summer came late. Problem solved.

13. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

they worked in one of those offices that always have the air conditioning turned up too high.

14. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

They're all System Admins used to working in computer server rooms.

15. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I assume that Andrea is going to be the one to kill the governor when it's all said and done.

I could happily lose Michonne from the show. The whole "glare and kill walkers" thing has gotten real old real fast. She's basically a plot device to start the Woodbury/Prison war at this point, nothing more.

Yes. However, I just hope they don't bring in Tyrese as Rick's new BFF at the expense of Herschel or, especially, Daryl. Daryl dies, I stop watching.

Anyone who'd answer?

What hope is that? She talked about what she'd do if her ex-husband were still alive, not if Merle was.

This. They were both violated and traumatized. Some couples go through a mugging, home invasion and/or sexual assault in real life and have very similar reactions.

All the governor really knew about the prison is that it had a group of armed people camped out there who really messed up Woodbury and that it was potentially highly fortified. He didn't know for sure how many people were there or what sort of resources/weapons they had.

Driving the zombie truck in was a good way to both soften up Rick's group for a full scale attack and find out what sort of resources they might have.

16. Bob Morton

Bob Morton Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

^I think you misunderstood my reference. I was talking about the scene between Carol and Axel when she was showing him how the gun worked. When she popped out the magazine she said it was fully loaded, she then reinserted the magazine and handed the gun back to him, 'let's hope it stays that way.' It did.

17. TREK_GOD_1

That's too expected, much like the fan desire to see Daryl kill Merle. The unexpected would work, as it shows villains are really troubling more than their #1 arch enemy. For example, Carl killing the governor would be unexpected--especially if he does it to defend Rick, only after Rick and Carl are dealing with tension.

I understand what you mean, but Rick's advantages had to be broken down (as of episode 2) before he begins to see some value in outsiders. Once that happens, Michonne may open up as she's doing with Glen.

Really? Daryl is popular, but he's just one of the pieces of the series, and pieces can be lost. Many were upset to see Shane go (even knowing how short lived his character was in the comics), and a main character such as Lori eventually died. Like the original Dawn of the Dead, the threat of a zombie outbreak feels "real" for the audience if most of the main characters do not make it to the end..whenever that happens.

18. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But that's pretty much what already happened with Shane.

Yes, but at some point, pieces can be lost that sufficiently devalue the entertainment experience. Daryl's my favorite character on the show and I just don't see the remaining ones holding my interest as the show currently exists.

19. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

Daryl is a sinner being redeemed--Shane was a one time good guy on an irredeemable path. Once you try to murder your best friend to have his wife, you're pretty much in a corner as a character. Daryl is one of the hearts of the show, whether by design or not. Shane and Lori were not. Also, you have a growing eventual best friend dynamic between Rick and Daryl and the inevitable animosity from Merle because of that. That's good potential story to be told. Between Shane and Merle's wretchedness, Rick and Daryl have a great deal in common.

20. TREK_GOD_1