The Walking Dead Season 3

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gotham Central, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I always imagined it was a biological attack of some sort.

Since everyone is infected, I would think it's an airborne pathogen. And as 12 Monkeys showed us, the best way to disseminate something like that is at an international airport.

I would expect if it was an attack, it would replicate quickly. So release it in the terminals, and let it find thousands of hosts headed all over the world. And once planes with the infected land, the pathogen spreads out and infects others. I could see the infection being loose in every city with a large airport world wide within 24 hours.

I wouldn't key the pathogen to kill, just infect. Let it do it's job when someone dies. This site tells us about 155,000 people die a day. And the number would go up when the dead don't stay dead and create more like them.

2. PKerr

PKerr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

OK cool stats but of those 155,000 how many are murder/suicide/car accident/fire and so on with potential head trauma?

That and we have seen that some reanimate quickly and then others take days, I find it hard to believe that it would spread so quickly and not be contained.

I get that George bites Bill and Bill bites Suzy and so on but somewhere along the lines G.I. Joe or Billy Bob redneck is going to step in an kill 10-20 in a ratio comparison.
    Let alone Attack helicopter/tank Vs. Herd, me thinks that would be pretty one sided.
    Heck a tank would never have to fire, just drive around.

3. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There are a couple of things you have to consider. First would be this taking a foothold before anyone realizes what is going on. Hospital staff would be the first to go because they are the front line to the first cases.

Also there is the human factor. People will be in shock at the horror of the situation, and will not react rationally. Many will elect to be with their families rather than where they are supposed to be.

A lack of knowledge will also allow this to spread. Head shots are not the first thought of anyone firing a gun, especially those using automatic or semi-automatic weapons. Tearing up a walking corpse by torso shots, and having it keep on coming may discourage many shooters, and they may give up shooting before trying a more difficult head shot.

I think in the first week or so is when the zombies will maximize their numbers, due to fear and ignorance of the situation. Then it will become very difficult to effectively eradicate them.

Even with an attack helicopter, only head shots will stop them. you may chew them up a bit, but if they can move, they will keep moving.

4. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The premise is that society has been destroyed and there is nothing left but little groups of survivors. Either you accept the initial premise of the show or you don't. Wanting them to go back and explain the premise a few season's in just isn't what the show is.

Besides, I think everyone is missing the most important aspect of the episode, Daryl is back and saw Merle for what he really is in less than one episode.

5. PKerr

So there were never any Zombie movies in this universes?
    practically everyone knows you have to shoot them in the head. :)

6. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

no there isn't. That is why they don't call them zombies.

7. PKerr

OIC :p

8. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

No.

9. Bob Morton

Bob Morton Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Carol's hope came to be; I bet that gun's still loaded.:evil:

10. Alpha Romeo

Alpha Romeo Vice Admiral Admiral

It did...watch the season 2 finale again.

11. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Was anyone else pretty underwhelmed by the zombie dump in the prison by Woodbury? I mean when I saw the truck go crashing through the gate I figured it would have guys in full on military body armor jump out and try to take-over the prison... Then we got a buncha walkers and is it supposed to be something "OMG. LOOK AT WHAT THEY DID TO THE PRISON?" effect on the viewer?

Darn Woodbury they just dumped a couple dozen walkers into a prison yard where the group have already killed 10 times...20 times... or more that many walkers already.

It's almost like they just dumped a flaming bag of poop on their doorstep and rang the bell and then ran away.

12. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

I loved the scenes with Daryl and Merle, and the fact that Daryl is clearly the more competent of the two. He DID have the right direction, after all. I liked the scene where Daryl saves the family and tells Merle off.

I'm interested to see just how long Merle will last with the other survivors. Not too long, I would imagine.

13. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

I don't think the Governor wants to kill them so quick, he wants to terrify them and torture them.

14. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I am happy to be proven wrong on this point. However, several things had led me to think this was "canon" at this point (or as "canon" as anything about the walkers is at this point):

1. Both Shane and Jim had flashes of zombies as they died as if they were seeing things through the eyes of other walkers.
    2. The way that a walker will react to something almost wordlessly and the zombies nearby will seem to pick up on it.

15. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

"wordlessly"?

16. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Walker sees human, walker reacts without saying anything because they can't talk, other walkers start turning around and reacting as well.

You might get a hiss or grunt out of one, but nothing that would suggestion verbal communication was used

17. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

They're just attracted to motion/sound in general. Regardless of the source. No "hive mind" needed.

18. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I find Merle to be one of the more entertaining characters on the show so I hope he sticks around for a while.

19. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

That is: Merle doesn't know Yellow Jacket Creek when he sees it.

20. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think it's funny how Merle is full of malice but seems low on guile and deceit. Like he's very upfront to everyone about being an asshole even when it's not to his advantage.