X-MEN: FIRST CLASS - Grading+Discussion **SPOILERS!**

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by StarTrek1701, May 31, 2011.

?

How Much Did You Enjoy X-MEN: FIRST CLASS?

Poll closed Oct 28, 2011.
  1. A+ (Great Movie!)

73 vote(s)
    35.6%
  2. A (Entertained a lot!)

93 vote(s)
    45.4%
  3. B (Was okay, not bad)

30 vote(s)
    14.6%
  4. C (Below expectations)

6 vote(s)
    2.9%
  5. D (Very bad)

2 vote(s)
    1.0%
  6. F (Intolerable, want money back)

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  1. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I snuck rum into the theater when I saw that one, so when I left I was too drunk to be angry. :D

2. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah it does seem that a lot it comes from ignoring stuff in X3. That's fair enough, I thought it was a crummy movie too. (Even though maybe it does come off a bit snobby from Singer perhaps)
    But anyway, it seems to me the only point of ignoring X-Men: The Last Stand is if let's say Singer made an X-Men 4 that ignored 3 and carried on from 2. (X-Men 2.5, whatever you'd call it. I suppose "X-Men 3" could be used, I'll just call it X4 for the purposes of this next bit)

But let's face that won't happen. 'Second Class' I'm fairly sure will happen... so it's 2011 now, let's say that comes out in 2013, and Third Class in, say, 2016. I doubt X4 would come out while those were being made, so then that wouldn't be able to be released till, what, 2018?

Now it's 2018... fifteen years after X2 came out. Are you gonna use the same actors? Anna Paquin would be 36, Hugh Jackman 50, Ian McKellen 79, Shawn Ashmore 39, etc etc
    It couldn't exactly take place right after X2, so how do you explain the 15 years. They might as well recast........ which would make me think, why bother with it at all? Just reboot.

So basically my thoughts, are, haha, I hope the movie X-franchise continues, but it sure ain't gonna be tied together all nice and tidy

3. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Well, at least they're taking a cue from the comics. :lol:

I think they could easily make an X4 that takes place farther in the future. I mean, hell, half the characters died or lost their powers in X3 anyway, so it could be about an entirely different X-Men team fighting a new bad guy. That could actually be pretty fun.

4. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm reading alot of these comments. January Jones just has a blank face.

5. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

"X-Men: First Class" wins the weekend pulling in $56 million. Which is around what I thought it would make opening weekend. Not the huge weekend Fox was probably expecting but like I stated earlier I expect this film to be a word of mouth film over the next few weekends.

6. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

It's also one of the first true weekends of the summer. People are probably outside.

7. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Well, I think it's been hinted at that, perhaps, mutants age slower than humans. But the contnuity in this movie series is, indeed, a mess.

8. Admiral_Young

If First Class does end up being a trilogy then I could possibly see the timeline progress until we see Jean, Scott, Ororo, etc in perhaps the third movie. As mentioned before Vaughn stated that he has an idea for a second movie to take place shortly after the Kennedy assassination involving the so-called 'magic bullet". A third movie could take place in the late 70's or something and at the end of the trilogy we could see Xavier welcoming Scott and Jean to Xavier's. There are multiple possibilities with this film now.

9. Anbaric Amber

Anbaric Amber Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Very this!

I hated X-3 so bad. It's just unwatchable to me now. I saw it when the 'rents dragged me to the grand canyon when it was still in theaters. it almost ruined the trip for me because i was like "why why why?!" And then Singer goes off the ruin Superman - epic fails all around.

First Class is First Class - I loved it. I'm so glad that someone bothered to like actually embrace the genre rather than try to mainstream it. Also good to see so much history with Mystique and Xavier - I mean, who knew?

AA

10. StarTrek1701

StarTrek1701 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They should have gone the Star Trek / Bond route and rebooted everything. It might have saved it from being the lowest opening for a Marvel movie ever. :(

11. Admiral_Young

Fans keep saying that but obviously Fox has no wish to do that and were hooked immediately on Bryan Singer's return to the franchise. We'll see how the box office is next weekend. The fact that this film is still critically acclaimed as "X2" was is a promising start in my opinion. I'm seeing it tonight.

12. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I was hoping for a $60m+ opening but it did sell a near equal amount of tickets as THOR which at least means the audience attracted to these films didn't go away. The goodwill is strong for the movie as well and I don't see any reason why, like Thor which had good wom, it should drop harder than 55% next week.

I really haven't been sensing a huge interest in Super 8 so XM:FC could very likely see itself close or just over $90m by the end of next weekend.

Also, early budget estimates I saw said $125m but I just saw $160m posted. Big discrepancy. Wish the budget were closer to that former number.

13. Saquist

Saquist Commodore

Despite what the box office might say this was an extremely well written movie and in my opinion it was thoroughly entertaining. I was surprised by the credits to see Bryan Singer Return to the Series and it really did feel like a Singer X-men. It had lots of flavor. There was truth in the details. He made sure to put in even the smallest mention of characters and it was beautiful how he presented the idea of the Hell Fire Club rapped up in all the real world politics....

And Magneto...wow....
    Was this the Magneto movie I had heard of?
    It certainly felt like it.

14. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Certainly, they're not going to have a Magneto Origins movie. However, I still think there's potential for Magneto liberating Genosia as a sort of anti-Hero story. Having to team up with the X-Men to do it, probably.

Anyway, great movie. Loved it from beginning to end.

15. MilleniumLance

MilleniumLance Captain Captain

anyone else notice the bomb shelter under the mansion where Xavier trains havoc is the same place Cerebro and the Danger Room are going to be in the later films, im looking at X2 now and the size and height looked the same.

16. Caretaker

Caretaker Commodore Premium Member

I was thinking the same thing: we don't want this to become like Highlander.

17. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

The movie was entertaining. The chess pieces were moved from Point A at the beginning to Point B at the end, and the changes from the comics kept things from being overly predictable. I didn't find myself caring about most of the characters, but it was better than the three previous X-Men movies that I've watched (1, 2 and the Wolverine one).

B.

18. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

The Highlander series is a special case. It shouldn't prejudice anyone towards X-Men.

19. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I enjoyed it a lot, but had to give it a "B" due to the lack of characters I cared about on either the good guy or the bad guy side.

20. ColeMercury

ColeMercury Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

X-Men Origins: Magneto was in development hell for a little while and then cancelled when they realised it'd be stepping on the toes of X-Men: First Class. But the writer for Magneto still got a "story by" credit for First Class as compensation.