Clone Wars Technology

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by DSG2k, Sep 24, 2009.

1. DSG2k

DSG2k Captain Captain

I haven't seen much discussion of Star Wars: The Clone Wars in the sense of technology, so I figured I'd help that along. As for me, I think it fits in with the movies much better than the EU ever did, though I daresay they might miss even more than they did before.

For discussion fodder, quite a bit more work has been done to NoLettersHome.Info (the Star Wars: The Clone Wars technology review), though much remains to be done. By the time season two rolls around here shortly I'm sure I'll still have two-thirds of the first season left, but that's okay.

(Comments, suggestions, and contributions are welcome. There should be enough content in there now for the flavor to be pretty obvious.)

But in the meantime, some tech questions . . .

Regarding the Ryloth campaign, why is it that they had space superiority but couldn't translate that into air or ground superiority? In the second episode Obi-Wan had to take out guns capable of wrecking Acclamators with a ground fight, and in the third episode the capital could not be attacked giving the Separatists time to mount an air-based firebombing campaign against Ryloth villages that went initially unopposed.

Given the horrible hit rates we've seen, is it an issue of effective range? After all, the guns Obi-Wan had to take out were not seen in use against orbital targets.

((Of course, given that Ryloth appeared to have very low technology and even the entire capital was only the equivalent of the downtown area of a midsize American city, one could also ask why the Separatists were interested at all, but that's another matter entirely.))