BUFFY: Season 2 and 3 comics?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by ReadyAndWilling, Feb 14, 2012.

1. ReadyAndWilling

ReadyAndWilling Fleet Captain

hey guys, i really love seasons 2 and 3 of Buffy. the setting of the high school is just so great and all the episodes are worthwhile in their own way. i was just wondering if joss or anyone from his crew ever wrote stories from this era that weren't apart of the tv show? i know there were comics set between season 3 and 4, but i don't know of anything for S2 and S3.

2. saturn5

saturn5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Buffy magazine did have a comic strip set in that period. The official Buffy comics pretty much stuck with the pre-Sunnydale era

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

There were a bunch of Dark Horse comics set during the series, many of which (particularly those by Christopher Golden) were well-received, but they weren't written/overseen by Whedon and are non-canonical. (Also there were plenty of non-canonical prose novels by various authors, also including Golden.)

4. ReadyAndWilling

ok, thanks.

do you know where i could look at a list?

5. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

6. ReadyAndWilling

great, thanks. i'm reading through the list now. any one in particular you can recommend? seems like the show had so much potential in S2-S3.

7. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

The only ones that I've read were collected in Ombius Volume 1, all of which I thought were pretty good. "The Origin" is especially fun, as it was intended to more accurately reflect Joss's original movie script than the filmed movie did*. "Slayer, Interrupted" calls back to season 6's "Normal Again," by featuring Buffy in a mental asylum shortly before the move from LA to Sunnydale. "All's Fair" was a fun Spike and Drusilla story at the 1933 World's Fair.

(* Joss has even referred to this one as being "pretty much" canon.)

8. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

The Omnibus books, which collect the whole run of comics chronologically, are pretty much the way to go. If you get Volumes 3 and 4, you'll have all the comics set during Season Three.