STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 18, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

18.8%
  2. A

20.6%
  3. A-

13.2%
  4. B+

11.1%
  5. B

7.9%
  6. B-

4.1%
  7. C+

5.7%
  8. C

5.0%
  9. C-

3.5%
  10. D+

1.5%
  11. D

1.6%
  12. D-

1.3%
  13. F

5.7%
  1. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

http://moviehole.net/201364386star-trek-into-darkness-review-both-entertains-and-resonates

A lot of action films tend to drop off in quality towards the end, trying to make up for a tired story with explosions, but a real asset to this film is that it retains its tension throughout. While there are some fates you know can’t be messed with, the story never becomes boring. Funny and action packed enough for kids, scandal free for families, and with enough darkness to satisfy adults, this is a film that will entertain and resonate with most people.

2. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

You are, of course, wrong.

3. Mitty

Mitty Vice Admiral Admiral

Just saw it. I had avoided all spoilers (well, apart from Noel Clarke retweeted someone who said it was sad that his character died). I'm so glad I did, because I truly had no idea what was coming. I was also totally not expecting the Cameo, which just made me grin from ear to ear.
    I loved it and it's the first time in years I've wanted to go back and see a film again at the Cinema rather than wait for it on DVD/Bluray.

4. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

5. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yep, very nicely done.

AND the bald lady!! I want to know more about her.
    Totally agree.

6. topas

topas Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

One of the folks over at trekmovie did mention in a comment that in the final sequence we get to see the Enterprise not only repaired but having been given slight refit (in his view, unfortunately, not bringing her any closer to the TOS original). I'm curious as to what this refers? Did they change anything that's noticable on the first glimpse or made some cosmetic changes to her only (registry fonts, red stripes on nacelles etc.)?

7. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

Went to the midnight showing last night, got a free poster which was a nice bonus. I'm sure if you're reading this thread you don't really care about spoilers, but just in case here's a warning.

--

I really enjoyed it, although I felt it was a tad too predictable. The action and humour were great, Pine has really captured the essence of Kirk although I'm not sure Quinto has the same gravitas that Nimoy has. Cumberbatch was awesome, the way he delivered his lines was chilling and I easily bought him as Khan. But Khan, well, given all the secrecy surrounding the identity of John Harrison the reveal was rather anticlimactic.

I did love the head-crushing thing he did. While I liked all the references to Trek I thought at point it got a bit too self-referential. It was a nice twist having Spock yell Khan, but I'd rather the writers come up with their own lines and moments of emotional importance rather than cribbing them from previous movies.

I thought the resolution was quite swift, and I'm surprised they didn't have Kirk maroon Khan and his followers on Ceti Alpha V.

I did like the theme of Kirk learning about humility and responsibility and moving closer to becoming the captain he's destined to be. Also liked the beginning of the five year mission and the voiceover at the end.

Overall the only major disappointment I had is that it ended. Two hours of Star Trek every three years is just not enough!

8. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

After reading all the reviews here, good and bad, it's pretty much a given that I'm gonna like this movie.

One thing that bothers me here and in other threads: the use of the word "whitewashing." Terribly offensive in the context used here, and I'd ask folks to be a bit more sensitive.

Thanks.

9. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

The major difference I noticed was a new impulse drive on the back off the saucer. There are probably other changes that aren't that noticeable.

10. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Science Officer 0718, played by Joseph Gatt.

The upcoming novelization may yet name her. I assume she's a Deltan, with TOS Khan's swarthy Indian complexion, something Ilia didn't have in ST:TMP, despite Persis Khambatta being from... India.

I had forgotten to mention, until tonight's viewing reminded me, that both the trader ship (introduced in IDW's "Countdown to Darkness" as Mudd's daughter's captured vessel) and the equipment that Kirk takes to Kronos, seem to be identified as of K'normian origin? Did I hear incorrectly, or is this a namedrop to one of the background races from TMP?
    http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/K%27normian

Loved that Carol uses her mother's surname, Wallace! An early proposal for ST II was intended to use Dr Janet Wallace (from "The Deadly Years") as the mother of David.

Also loved that Carol is friends with Christine Chapel, and that Kirk and Chapel had a fling (which Chapel remembers better than Kirk). Isn't the Carol/Christine friendship a feature of the bonus material in the ST III novelization?

11. teacake

Therin I was convinced while watching the movie today that the trader ship was said to belong to the Trabe. Couldn't remember who the Trabe were but looking it up now it seems highly unlikely that I heard correctly :lol:

12. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

No, they called it the "trader ship", but I'm sure I heard "K'normian" used both viewings.

13. Mr Pointy Ears

Mr Pointy Ears Captain Captain

spock shows way to much emotions in this movie,thought the 09 flick had him showing some but this one went way to far with the emotions.

14. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

Just got back from a morning showing in the UK. I loved the movie - I BLOODY LOVED IT! A+, 10/10, 5 Stars - whatever! Any and all niggles/doubts I had have been completely assuaged. This film is pure STAR TREK, STAR TREK: The Original Series that is! Invoking the the feel and spirit of that shows action adventure (on steroids) and colourful characterisation perfectly - even more so than the 2009 film. The characters all felt bang on the money. Really, I couldn't have asked for more - I'm just so pleased with it. Awesome.

15. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Yeah, feels weird to be on the other side now. I'm genuinely surprised most here seem to enjoy it so much. Watching it in the theatre I was almost certain the majority of people wouldn't like it. The three people I saw it with, however, liked it – all three of them being non-fans.

I mean, it certainly is a technically well-made movie. There's no question about that. Abrams knows how to craft a nice-looking film. The effects are great, the pacing is nice and I enjoyed the music.

But the script is just all over the place. Dialog feels stilted, the plot and the succession of scenes are really disjointed (why the whole detour to Kronos, for example?), and I really got the feeling the writers have no desire whatsoever to portray the Enterprise crew as professionals. I could forgive that in the first movie, as they were supposed to be young and inexperienced. Sulu not knowing how to engage the ship, Chekov not being able to formulate a clear sentence in English, Kirk always acting on his whims – I could live with that for the first movie.

But here we have Spock and Uhura – two high-ranking officers on the flagship of the Federation (or whatever) – openly showing that they're a couple, kissing on the bridge and quarreling while on one of their most important missions. Here we have Chekov making chief engineer for no reason whatsoever and constant insinuations that he's in no way up to the task. We have Sulu being afraid of taking command. We have Uhura essentially screwing up the proceedings with the Klingons. We have Kirk making more than one questionable decision. And we have Spock crying, quoting out-of-place catchphrases from previous movies, and yelling a laughable "Kaaaahhhhnnn!"

I'm sure they were thinking they were writing a clever homage to TWOK, but when you go so far as to just quote the lines and re-enact the scenes, it becomes really laughable. It's as if the writers think fans are only satisfied when we hear buzz words from previous canon. It's not a better movie because they call the fucking Klingon ships "D-4s". It's not a better movie because they throw in Section 31.

Oh man, the more I think about this movie the more I realize how disappointed I am. One thing I keep wondering is, if I would enjoy this more as a non-fan. I like to think my disappointment isn't just stemming from the fact that I'm a fan. I really want to accept new stuff, honestly! But I feel this one wasn't just bad because it's new and different, but because it's bad.

:(

EDIT: One other thing, though: I loved loved loved the first 20 minutes or so. The mission on that planet with the volcano really felt like TOS to me, complete with Kirk bending the Prime Directive. Just another mission, like they used to have. It was really well-executed. I wish the whole movie would have been more like that.

16. teacake

Planet blew up. PTSD.

17. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

18. topas

topas Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Thank you. As I'm growing to actually like the design (took me 4 years) I'm quite interested in seeing the changes.

Were the Trabe not those who for centuries have enslaved Kazon?

As for K'normian origin - I'd have to look up who these are, but am pretty sure a lot of the instruments in the cockpit of that ship is rather of the older starfleet type. Most of it was seen in '09 on Kelvin/KM test/shuttles and the official ST game shows a lot of it in the Enterprise and starbase interiors. Well, just an observation - probably laziness on part of the prop/set design, not something that will ruin the movie for me once I finally get to see it ;)

Last edited: May 9, 2013
  19. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

This is sounding better and better. :cool:

20. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

The KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN part was a little weird, it was probably better placed than Kirk's KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN though and led into Spock kicking ass. I really enjoyed it, better than Trek 2009 and there was probably even more fan service than previous. The opening felt more like a TNG plot and they handled the prime directive stuff well - I always thought it was dumb they'd let a civilization die.

Kirk was a bit of a pussy though, I know he is still supposed to be immature but he didn't seem to be a particularly good Captain yet.

I liked the warp core though, at least I think that was the actual warp core.