Should they have kept Dr. Selar?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by newtontomato539, Nov 19, 2012.

1. newtontomato539

newtontomato539 Commander Red Shirt

I thought she was a great character.

2. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Truthfully, I think it could have been useful to develop Crusher's staff more. I mean all we ever saw were Ogawa & Martinez. Seeing to the medical needs of a population of 1000 would require a developed staff, & the existence of Selar's character in season 2 suggested such a staff. If not to keep her around, then they should have at least added another medical staffer or two, with speaking parts

Hell, they could have scrapped 2 or 3 of those awful Crusher episodes like Sub Rosa, & put in something medical staff oriented, which would have still featured her heavily. I would have found a few more Starfleet medical stories fascinating

Geordi & Data had numerous episodes centered around technobabbly problems. A few centered around medical sci-fi would have been very refreshing

3. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Medical-babble?

4. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Yeah, but that's TNG all over really. How many characters beyond the main cast were explored in any real depth? A handful at best.

Not that I disagree with you though. It would have been nice to get more material for the supporting characters. :)

5. Mojochi

Well, Ro was a bridge officer that was developed, & Barclay was something of an engineering officer they explored. I wouldn't say Guinan was extensively explored, but she was developed more than Ogawa. Ogawa shared the screen in Lower Decks & got an odd scene on occasion

Anyway... I just think even in this finite selection of supporting players, they could have squeezed in some more time for a sickbay one. Sickbay has always been a pretty integral part of all Star Trek

6. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I wasn't actually arguing, I was agreeing. And lamenting that things were the way they were. Thankfully, when in need of a much larger expanded (and explored) cast there is another Trek show to go to. :)

7. Minuet

Minuet Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The marvelous progressive utopia of California
    There's several minor characters I wish they kept around. Ensign Gomez was another great character with a lot of potential for growth. I mean, she was a little obnoxious, but the idea of having a brilliant, attractive, yet naive and semi-neurotic female character evolving into something more and proving herself was a great idea. They eventually fulfilled that with Barclay, but Gomez would have been wonderful, and a possible love interest for Geordi.

Selar was nice, if they even remotely fleshed out her character. Even Gomez had more characterization than Selar.

8. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Selar should have been CMO from Season 2. She would have provided Data with a good counterpoint, whilst everyone else was trying to get him to be more human, she could signify the benefits of detachment and logic over wishy-washy emotions.

I also think that she and Worf would have made a interesting couple over the years, professionally and otherwise.

But then again, I am a little bias, I love Vulcans :vulcan:

9. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

IMO, she would have been eventually TNG's version of Seven of Nine (an emotionless sex object). They probably would have made her uniform even tighter to show off her boobs--she definitely wouldn't be wearing a doctor's coat like Crusher did.

10. Mojochi

I wasn't really arguing either, just expounding, & I agree that if you want character exploring Star Trek then DS9 is the way to go, obviously, but I was always more a TNG guy, because the voyages of the Enterprise is where it's at for me, & they were the first to start exploring characters at all, compared to TOS. They could have stretched it a bit more, imho, but seemed tentative about doing so

I actually preferred Robin Lefler, who was featured slightly more than Gomez, & infinitely less obnoxious & green acting

11. Surak of Vulcan

Surak of Vulcan Ensign Red Shirt

No doubt she should have appeared more often. If we didn't have inferring skills, then the entire medical staff of the USS Enterprise-D consisted of Crusher, Ogawa, and two Ensign Insignificants. However, there's a difference between the good guest stars, like Guinan or Barclay, and the bad guest stars, like a few of those ones that showed up just to spout out meaningless dross then hold the sets down for the rest of the episode.

And, as C.E. Evans stated, since I don't deny her rather attractive figure, she probably would've ended up as a Seven of Nine-esque character.

Also, if it helps, I believe she was in The New Frontier book series. But, books aren't canon, I know.

12. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

I'd like more Suzi Plakson in any guise.

13. Worf'sParmach

Worf'sParmach Commander Red Shirt

This.

14. Worf'sParmach

Worf'sParmach Commander Red Shirt

I've always thought seeing Worf with a Vulcan would have been interesting. He often behaves more logical Vulcan than impulsive Klingon anyway. And we already know Vulcans aren't opposed to going outside of their species.

15. Surak of Vulcan

Surak of Vulcan Ensign Red Shirt

Well, Worf was more honorable than the average Klingon, too. According to Memory Alpha, if she was kept on, she was to have developed a relationship with Worf. Interesting, I must say. I wonder if they would've killed her off like they did with K'Ehleyr.

16. Mr_Homn

Mr_Homn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yes, giant breasted vulcans are always welcome.

Plus she was a great trek actress. Loved k'heylar.

tpol wishes she was selar

17. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I don't know if Worf with a Vulcan would have worked but it would have made more sense than Troi.

Who was that woman in Beverly's bridge crew in Descent? She would have made a good recurring character.

So few crewmembers other than the main cast even appeared in more than one episode. That engineer woman from Q Who, and that's almost all I can think of.

18. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

^Ensign Gomez. And the Descent one was Ensign Taitt.

I can think of a few more recurring non-regulars: Miles O'Brien, Keiko, Ogawa, Reg Barclay, Ro Laren, Mot, Christy Henshaw, Ensign McKnight, Argyle, Robin Lefler...and technically, Dr. Pulaski. ;)

19. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

If you think about it, Vulcan characters in general are difficult to flesh out in a short time scale. And Doctor Selar wasn't exactly the main focus of the episode in which she appeared. T'Pol got a lot of attention up front, and it still took time for her to move beyond "standard Vulcan stereotype."

I like Bry Sinclair's idea of having her be Crusher's replacement in season two, instead of Pulaski. Generous opportunities to learn about her, and let her develop a personality.

:)

20. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Thanks T'Girl.

Even though Selar had just one appearance in S2, I warmed to her far more than I ever did Pulaski.