Welcome Fellow Trekkies! The GTD Get to Know You thread

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Alidar Jarok, Jan 21, 2010.

?

How excited are you that I'm here?

1. W00t!! Let's get this party started!

394 vote(s)
    71.6%
  2. I'm ok with it, I'll live.

116 vote(s)
    21.1%
  3. Meh.

27 vote(s)
    4.9%
  4. BOO!! GO AWAY!!!

13 vote(s)
    2.4%
  1. kirsten187

kirsten187 Napoleonic Power Monger Admiral

Hey lurker! I'm almost as bad. Not been her for a year!

2. Nanerpus

Nanerpus Cadet Newbie

Hey guys! I'm in an ugly position where I want to talk about Star Trek because it is my favorite show, but I have nobody to talk about it with. Hopefully this forum will change that! During the summer after my freshmen year of high school (7 years ago), my father introduced me to the series by letting me watch his collection of the original series on VHS. After a few episodes, I was hooked and binge watched the entire series, in addition to the movies, in just a few weeks. As soon as I finished it, my father bought me the animated series on dvd and I also binge watched that. The next summer, I watched some of The Next Generation, but my father only owned a few of the episodes so I gave up on it. Fast forward 6 years (I can't believe it was really that long) to last summer when I discovered that the entirety of Star Trek was on Netflix. I started by watching all of Enterprise because it related somewhat to the original series. I thought it was pretty good, but the second half of it didn't really feel like Star Trek. Then I watched DS9 and didn't really like it. There was only about 1 episode out of every 5 that I actually enjoyed. After going through the second half of Enterprise and DS9, I was hesitant to start Voyager because I thought that I might not like it. To my pleasant surprise, I actually LOVE Voyager and I am almost done with the whole thing. After Voyager, I am very excited to start The Next Generation, because I've heard it is the best.

3. Steve Roberts

Steve Roberts Lieutenant Red Shirt

Hi,

My name is Steve and I'm a Trek addict... oh wait wrong place for that! ;)

I watched the odd epsiodes of TOS, TNG and DS9 through the 80s and 90s, plus the films at Christmas time, but did not get into Trek until I started watching Voyager around 1996 - I identified with the crew being stuck away from what I called home and family.
    I then started watching all the episodes of Voyager and even arranged to rent the VHS tapes upon release at the local video store (if you don't know what a VHS tape is, it is what came before DVD!) as it would take another year for episodes to air on the BBC!

From there I started watching TNG and DS9 and then when it came out I watched ENT.
    Only recently have I been watching TOS (still no TAS) as I never could stand the way Kirk treated women, spoke and a whole lot of other things - and yes I know it was the 60s and for those times what they tackled where very important issues, but as teenager, I thought... nope, not watching that!!

I did not do much with Trek for years after ENT until I found Star Trek Online (STO) in 2011. I know have 44 characters in 26 fleets!

Since then I've gotten into podcasting where I host my own Star Trek and STO podcast called Tribbles in Ecstasy.
    I have also been involved in other Sar Trek podcast productions like the G&T Show, Priority One Podcast, The Red Shirt Army, USS Starfinder, amoungst others, through audio editing, guest appearances, voice artist etc.

I heard about this board from discussions on the G&T Show about Axanar, so I'm getting to know my way around atm.

LLAP, Steve

4. Dan_theNerd

Dan_theNerd Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Hello all,

This is my first time posting on TrekBBS. I signed up some years ago, but became too busy to get involved with the message board.

With the announcement of the new Trek series in 2017, and the recent Abrams-Trek movies, my interest in Trek and sci-fi has peaked again. Looking for a community for some good conversation and reminiscing on a variety of sci-fi and non-sci-fi related topics. :)

So... I guess a hello is in order. :)

P.S. Was anyone here a member of SCN (Subspace Comms Network) about 10+ years ago? I spent about 1-2 years as a semi-regular poster on that site. Just curious if there'd be anyone here that I'd know.

5. UnknownSample

UnknownSample Commodore Commodore

I'm back after a long gap. I'm an original fan, viewer, obsessive, whatever... I started partway through season one (best season of any show, I think), and the 1970s for me were a long, long period of waiting for Star Trek (and the Beatles) to come back.

6. RedForman

RedForman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hey all - been a lurker for a while, decided to join the conversation on a whim today.

Started watching the original when it was in syndication almost 30 years ago. Don't have a particularly favorite series, but am a big fan of the 'Rihannsu' and 'Vanguard' novels. Still have too many others left to read :cool:

7. Tesophius

Tesophius Captain Captain

Hey everyone, I've been searching for a good Star Trek forum for a few days now, basically meaning to get into fan fiction a little, as both a reader and maybe a writer. The latter, however, remains to be seen.

I've always been interested in space exploration and science fiction, but with almost no interest in fantasy, which is sci-fi's weird cousin. I remember catching a few episodes of TNG on tv in the early 2000s, but all I remember was seeing Worf and thinking that it was some weird fantasy world with monsters in it, which suppressed my interest. Fast forward many years to 2008 (had to re-edit this year, since I remembered that it was earlier than what I thought initially) and I got hooked on one of the Holodeck episodes. I was already 21/22 at the time, much older than most people are when they get into Star Trek, or at least that's my perception, but I've been a huge fan ever since then. I don't think the show is perfect, but it's the best there is. I also don't think that it's realistic, but elements of it are. Anyhow, after getting hooked on TNG and watching through a few seasons, I decided to follow a more systematic approach and started watching The Enterprise.

I didn't know at the time that it wasn't considered to be as good as other series, but I thoroughly enjoyed it, especially the first two seasons, which is also inconsistent with a lot of the fans, it seems. The reason why I enjoyed the first two seasons more, is because what I love the most about Star Trek is the exploration aspect and encountering unusual situations. The episode "Dear Doctor" where a planet is encountered with two humanoid species at different evolutionary stages, is probably one of my all time favorite episodes of any Star Trek series. I enjoy these kind of exploration and discovery episodes more than traditional conflicts, involving diplomacy, with Klingons and Romulans, mainly because I find the latter to be less realistic. Not to say that I don't enjoy those at all either. The whole Xindi conflict failed to fully grasp my attention, but I still loved the show, and it was sad that it ended prematurely. The Klingon encounters were least favorable, as they were overly primitive in their behavior, significantly more so than in other series.

Then I watched The Original Series, which I thought were fantastic. Initially I thought I'd just give a few episodes a try, a sort of homage to the origins of the Star Trek Universe, but the writing is so good, that I genuinely enjoyed almost every single episode, as much, if not more than The Enterprise. In some ways I thought that TOS were more modern/progressive than the later series and touched upon more important questions.

It was disappointing to find out that TOS had only 3 seasons, I still don't understand how that was possible, it must have been the most revolutionary series to ever appear on television at the time. Following TOS I moved on to The Next Generation, and it was a lot of fun! The Holodeck episodes, I think, are some of the best, while the TNG characters are the best of any ST series. I found Captain Picard to be a very intriguing but also relatable character. Commander Riker, on the other hand, I always thought wasn't good of an actor and didn't add anything to the show.

Tried to get into Deep Space Nine a few times, but just couldn't do it, it doesn't feel like Star Trek at all to me and the characters are weak and unrelatable. No offense meant to any DS9 fans... Maybe one day I'll learn to appreciate it.

The Voyager was a pleasant surprise, the idea was spectacular, it had some of my all-time favorite episodes. Tuvok was a great character.

My top favorite characters
    Jean Luc Picard
    Data
    Spock
    Tuvok
    Phlox
    The Doctor

All in all, if I could live in the Star Trek universe, I would choose Picard's ship, Kirk's worlds and Archer's missions.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  8. Tesophius

It's also noteworthy to add that I could never get to really enjoy the movies, as big of a Star Trek fan as I am. I derive more enjoyment from average episodes, than I do from most of the movies. I consider myself to be a Trekkie and yet I can't even get myself to finish watching ST: Into Darkness. It's just so boring, lacks any of the Star Trek feel and just seems like yet another Superman or some other comic book villain movie. Too much action, that's not Star Treks strongest point, never was. I wonder if anyone else feels the same way.

9. JesterFace

JesterFace Fleet Captain Commodore

I'm one those few(?) here that doesn't really like Star Trek films, it's a series and works in that format, but as a movie, no, at least not for me. The only Trek movie I like to watch is the very first one, because it has "extended episode" feel to it, it doesn't feel like a movie... And when watched in two parts, it's like a two part episode.

Tesophius likes this.
  10. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Welcome to the BBS. :cool:

To me, the new movies are like TOS with a shot of caffeine for the contemporary era. They explore certain themes of the human condition, but they don't bash them over your head like '90s Trek.

This is what I like, when it comes to Trek:
    TOS
    TAS
    A few TOS movies
    ST09
    ST:ID

Kor

11. Dentari

Dentari Cadet Newbie

Hello all,

I've been aware of TrekBBS for some time now, but never got around to actually posting here. I figured that this particular thread would be a good place to start!

I've been a big fan of Star Trek for many years now, having watched all of the films and most of the series (minus most of TOS and all of TAS). I've also recently started getting into Trek literature, having predominantly read through the DS9 series starting with Avatar books 1 and 2.

As for my favourite shows (although they're all pretty close), I would have to go with:
    • DS9
    • TNG
    • VOY

Kilana2 likes this.
  12. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

Welcome. I basically share your interests. But I'd definitely include TOS. :biggrin:

13. GornMcCoy

GornMcCoy Ensign Newbie

Hello Everyone!

I am a brand new Star Trek fan and am currently working my way through all of the shows and movies. (Currently, I am on Season Two of TOS.) I'm really excited to get to know other Trek fans. :c)

Shatinator and Tesophius like this.
  14. JesterFace

Because you're in the middle of TOS and haven't got to TNG yet, I feel like I must say, be patient with TNG, it'll get better, a lot better, after the first two seasons. :)

However, seasons 1 & 2 on TNG do have some gems in them, so don't skip them.

GornMcCoy likes this.
  15. Tesophius

I liked the first TNG seasons :)

16. JesterFace

It seems that some people do like them, however I'm under the impression that most people don't... I could be wrong though.

17. GornMcCoy

GornMcCoy Ensign Newbie

Thank you for the warm welcome and TNG warnings. I don't know much about TNG other than the famous "shut up Wesley" line.

18. Phx

Phx Cadet Newbie

Hi everyone

Long long time star trek fan ever since I was a little kid when TNG first Aired. Have my mum to thank for it as one day she just sat me down in front of the TV and said watch this, and have been hooked ever since.

Now years later I'm avid collector of playmates figures and books mostly, as well as the eaglemoss starship collection.

I have been looking at this site for a number of years and seen some really interesting discussions and finally thought it about time I posted and got to know some like minded people.

Regards all

Michael.

19. Loyalkat

Loyalkat Ensign Red Shirt

Hello. I am new here!
    I love Star Trek! Especially the original series.

My favorite character is Captain Kirk! I had a crush on him and still do!
    I have made notes for some fan fiction. I have shared my ideas with a good friend who really likes my ideas.

I look forward to good discussions with my fellow Trekkies

Take care
    Loyalkat

20. Shatinator

Shatinator Commander Red Shirt

GornMcCoy,

Welcome to the forum! Don't fret to much about TNG -- all the series have their "growing pains" and TNG matures rather nicely given time ... even Wesley -- but you'll find out for yourself. So enjoy them all - that is what they are there for!

21. Jonno1971

Jonno1971 Ensign Red Shirt

Hi, i'm really glad to find a forum with so many discussions going on. Superb.

Here in the UK back in the 70s Star Trek along with Doctor Who (which i also love) were my two fave shows. I remember the animated show too which to my five year old self seemed interchangable with the live action one. It was only years later i worked out these were separate shows.

Through the 80s i saw all the films and remember the anticipation over TNG. Wow those were amazing times to be a fan.

I loved TNG but i must admit i lost interest in the other spin off shows and never saw DS9 or Voyager beyond their opening instalements.

Fast forward to 2009 and i was blown away with JJ Abrams new interpretation. I absolutely love both films and feel a bit baffled by some of the hate i read online.

Anyway good to be here and be a fan. I'm buzzing for the new series. I really hope it can be a series that really makes an impact and creates a whole new group of fans. Much like the new Doctor Who did back in 2005.

Jonno