50th Anniversary Trailer Description

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by StCoop, Jul 21, 2013.

1. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Cool! Hopefully it leaks.

2. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As gets pointed out every year when people start whinging about Comic Con, BBC America pays for everything so no it doesn't cost License Payers anything.

3. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

[​IMG] This video contains content from BBC Worldwide, who has blocked it on copyright grounds.

Yeah, hot fucking shit, huh?

4. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, we can't have people from the UK watching a trailer for a show in the UK, made in the UK to be broadcast in the UK.

Ridiculous.

5. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I like how you cut out the daily mail bit at the end to make sure nobody could tell I was joking... :rolleyes:

Do you actually WORK for the Daily Mail with those selective quoting skills?

6. MickJo1701

MickJo1701 Commander Red Shirt

A show paid for by the people of the UK too.

7. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Except, I don't think this is going to be a Dalek story. I suspect Daleks will only be featured in a flashback scene to explain the John Hurt Doctor's backstory.

8. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

TBH I'd rather they'd kept the Daleks for the Xmas show this year, since December 27th is *their* 50th anniversary...

9. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Who says they can't do both? If they are only used in flashback in the 50th, that frees up the Christmas special to be a proper Dalek story. And hell, the marketing alone. "This Christmas on BBC One: Daleks, regeneration, new Doctor. Doctor Who: Holiday of the Daleks, Christmas Day on BBC One."

10. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree with that. My only thought is that Moffat really should've just gotten McGann to play the role (if he was willing) rather than create a new "Doctor".

Mr Awe

11. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Again, what makes it a certainty that the Ninth Doctor had just regenerated in "Rose"?

12. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

He comments on his face as if it's the first time he's seen it. I don't see how that could be taken as anything other than confirmation that he'd recently regenerated.

13. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

What, you've never commented on your appearance in the mirror after getting a hair cut or losing weight? Or checked out yourself in the mirror after meeting someone cute?

In short, there are lots of reasons why the Doctor would remark upon his appearance in the mirror that have nothing to do with regeneration. :)

14. Emperor-Tiberius

Commenting on his face doesn't necessarily mean he had just regenerated. I thought he was just getting used to his face, but given his demeanour, it really does seem to me that the Ninth Doctor had been around for a while.

15. EnderAKH

EnderAKH Commodore Premium Member

Not to mention the fact that Rose is his only companion that we see. Yet there are pictures of him after the Titanic, at the Kennedy assassination, etc. Rose is not in any of those pictures. Unless we are to believe that he blew up the store, tracked down Rose's apartment, then went off and had a whole bunch of adventures then went, "Oh yeah, I have to go back and take care of that whole Nestene thing," he had to have had those adventures pre-Rose, IMHO.

16. Atticus

Atticus Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Indeed, but in the specific context of that scene, the implication is obvious. RTD leaves it ambiguous intentionally, but there's only one sensible interpretation why the writer would include that bit of business there.

17. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

18. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

He could easily have been running around with a Guilt trip, beng propelled from one adventure to the next for 100 years in his Eccelston body, before slowing down enough to look in a mirror shortly after meeting Rose. With the Guilt he was carrying, the very last thing he would want to do is look in a mirror and see his face staring back at him (Wether it be the face that committed the attrocities of his shame or not)

19. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I doubt that was RTD's "sensible interpretation," though, as RTD intended the ninth Doctor as the Time War Doctor, and you can't square that with the Doctor have a post-regeneration moment in "Rose."

20. Emperor-Tiberius

Makes sense to me.

Also, it makes sense that he'd be running through time for a while (not sure if that'd be a hundred years or so, but certainly a couple of decades - drop in the water for him), but that before Rose he wouldn't stop to even look at himself wouldn't be that much of a reach.

And people really do seem to forget about all the Ninth Doctor pictures, images and what not, and all of whom clearly showcase him alone, without a companion in sight.

Anyway, never bought into the Ninth-Doctor-was-newly-regenerated-in-"Rose" thing, and unless the 50th anniversary special changes that, probably won't will.