Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

2. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

@davejames if I had money I would probably seriously buy that! That looks stunning.

4. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I guess Superman returns to the Kent Farm.

5. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Thanks guys. Hopefully we'll get some more pics soon, so I can get a better idea how big he is and what the costume looks like, etc.

6. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Ditto, fabulous workmanship so far

7. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, I like it.

8. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

In some interviews for the 1990's Superman Animated series, it was revealed that the \S/ on the cape was too difficult to draw

The same situation can probably apply to the movie. It's too difficult to CGI on a flowing cape

9. Admiral_Young

The S on the back of the cape is a detail that has never really mattered to me, so it's not a big deal that it's not on there.

10. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah I remember Singer saying that it was too much of a distracting yellow blob on the back during flying tests for SR. Especially with how much that cape fluttered in the wind.

But still, I'm sure it could be doable if they really wanted to make it work.

My favorite one probably has to be the one on Dean Cain's cape. Loved the different tones of yellow they used.

11. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Do we know if the shield is on the cape in the DC Superman relaunch?

It looks like Supes is publicly associated with Smallville - to the extent that the local BP station hawks Superman teeshirts. But who's "Plano," a LSH character? ;)

12. Admiral_Young

@Dennis the S Shield has been shown on the Superman (George Perez written) book for the solicits to the cover of issue three.

13. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ah, okay then.

14. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

The S on the cape doesn't work quite as well when the S on the chest is a raised detail anyway.

15. Myasishchev

I like the idea that on Krypton they put name-tags on everything everyone owns.

16. indolover

indolover Fleet Captain

ha ha!! I never saw the point in the show, and hate prequels in general.

17. Admiral_Young

^^ LOL. They must be a very possession oriented society. I think most of the citizens have their family crest emblazoned on their clothing. At least in the New Krypton retcon they did.

18. Myasishchev

I assume it's like that episode of Seinfeld where the mayor's aide suggested that everyone in New York where a name badge, but instead of it ending his career, he was elected Emperor of Kandor.

Fun fact: that particular take on Krypton makes drawing Kryptonians a kind of a pain in the ass because you have to come up with all these different symbols (and for the women, figure out how to pencil it over the topography of their breasts at all sorts of dumb angles, which is really annoying). Poor Gary Frank.

19. indolover

indolover Fleet Captain

they did in the Reeve movies also. I think Marlon Brando wanted the S on his costume to mirror the S on Superman's outfit.

Kryptonians seemed like an enigmatic bunch though. they knew of the "various concepts of immortality" but couldn't stop a star from exploding.

20. Admiral_Young

^ We're talking about the Donner Verse.

@Myasischev yeah Frank and the other artists after him had to come up with the symbols that weren't used in the movies. What I like about what Johns did though is that he incorporated all incarnations of Krypton that we have seen. The Golden Age/the Bryne era with the green robes and puffy white piping, etc.