Star Ship Polaris

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by aridas sofia, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Vektor's work on this design has now been featured on the forum header at Scifi-Meshes.

Congratulations, Vektor and aridas!

2. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

3. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    It's a cool looking ship.

4. JES

JES Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You know, there is almost a sort of moral behind this. 'Take care of what you allow to be sown, otherwise it might come back to haunt you'

By allowing people to be "Shanghaied" to work as slaves, and allowing colonists to be taken advantage of by those who ran the colonies, the United Worlds allowed events to take place that would lead to war. They could have prevented the Transhuman Authority from coming into existence or growing so powerful if they had implemented better peacekeeping policies, better supported all colonies, and better enforced the rights of individuals.

5. Vektor

Vektor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Another moral might be: Watch out for genetically engineered megalomaniacs who want to build evil empires and come back to conquer and rule their "inferior" progenitors. ;)

6. USS Jack Riley

USS Jack Riley Captain Captain

The movie "The Forbin Project" (AKA the book "Colossus") and the recent book "Robopacalypse" (I just KNOW I spelled that wrong) come to mind. The computers/robots, built by man, come to see themselves as the successor to man and seek to wipe out their creators. Interesting concept. Can't wait until this comes out. While I have been following its progress in the Fan Productions section, I am not really aware of the details. There are many tight lips on this project (kind of like the new Batman movie, which I have been assured is NOT filming in Pittsburgh).

7. Admiral Buzzkill

Good thoughts. A little bit more of the backstory here, though;

The rebel settlements were part of Earth's expansion, not the United Worlds. The UW is itself composed of settlement worlds which threw off Earth's administration more-or-less peacefully, probably about twenty to thirty years before our story.

8. Admiral Buzzkill

Thanks for your interest!

We are putting some stuff out there as it becomes available. I've really never been interested in launching stuff like a teaser trailer until we actually have the show substantially in hand and have a good sense of a release date.

In addition to the producer's blog, we do have a Facebook page which should be accessible here.

9. JES

JES Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think that if they had been better treated in the first place, instead of being used to the point that they felt that they were being treated unfairly, the leaders of the Transhuman Authority wouldn't have been able to convince them to revolt against Earth and the apparently more loyal or affluent colonies. I see a parallel between this and how the Nazis and Fascists rose to power right before WWII by using the common feeling of discontent of the masses.

10. Admiral Buzzkill

There are certainly intentional, if broad and simplified, parallels between our fictional backstory and several hundred years of history.

None of which gets discussed too much in the show...well, Gaitanis has a few things to say to Fredericks during an interrogation.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  11. Vektor

Not to derail this into a sociology debate, but it's not always necessary for people to actually be mistreated or oppressed in order for a charismatic leader to convince them that they are, gin up a lot of resentment people never even knew they had, and then harness it for their own ends. Throw in a genetic superiority complex, a sense of manifest destiny, and a voila! You've got a rampaging evil empire bent on world--or galactic--conquest.

Sure, it's possible that if the colonists had been treated better the Transhuman Authority would never have arisen. It's also possible a future version of Hitler would have brought it into existence anyway based on lies and propaganda.

Either way, I can tell you that the Transhuman Authority as portrayed in the Polaris script isn't just looking for a reasonable redress of grievances, it's out for nothing less than the conquest and extermination of what it considers an obsolete form of humanity.

12. Admiral Buzzkill

They have a pretty stark philosophy of how the Universe works, that much is for certain. By the time people go to war - particularly on this kind of scale - I think they're usually beyond looking for what detached observers would call a reasonable solution or even justice.

To fight someone to the bitter end you have to demonize them - the enemy deserves to be destroyed. Where that anger comes from for folks defending themselves against invaders is obvious, but how people become invaders is something else again.

Whether the losers in the Great War deserved to suffer as a result of it is something people might differ on. It seems to me unlikely, though, that if they weren't suffering that they'd have been easily organized and led by extremists like the Nazis. Grievance had to exist in order to be channeled and magnified; if the existing order is feeding you and treating you well, your inclination is to preserve rather than upend it.

In any event, the bad guys in the story can be bad guys but it's useful if they're bad guys with motives. Good and evil in Star Wars is about as simplistic as it gets, yet it turns out that even Palpatine seems to have thought his kind had been getting the short end of the stick. :lol:

13. Ensign Ro-

Ensign Ro- Commander Red Shirt

Thanks for your interest!

We are putting some stuff out there as it becomes available. I've really never been interested in launching stuff like a teaser trailer until we actually have the show substantially in hand and have a good sense of a release date.

In addition to the producer's blog, we do have a Facebook page which should be accessible here.[/QUOTE]

In my opinion, that's a good philosophy. Too often I see teasers released when the project is too much in it's infancy. A poster is more than enough. That being said, "Polaris" sounds like a very interesting project. And if the rest of the team is putting half the effort into their parts as you have into developing your model, it should be stellar. I'm truly looking forward to it. :-)

14. Vektor

New take on the windows:

[​IMG]

NOTE: If you click the image above, you can view it full-size at the resolution I've been using to create it.

I've slightly reduced the number of windows and made them less random. I also inset them slightly with a surrounding "divot" to give them more character and make them seem less like they were just painted on. I even went to the trouble of roughly sketching the underlying superstructure to make sure the windows would not conflict with it; however, I have only superficially tried to coordinate them with Aridas' original cross-section deck layout. I was more concerned with making them look good from the outside.

Unless Dennis or someone else comes up with a better idea, this is probably final for the windows.

15. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

This is a good thing, I think.
    It's a substantial improvement from last time.

Will you have the color of the interior lighting show in the windows?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
  16. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

Very nice. :cool:

17. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

I keep saying it, this thing is a thing of beauty. I wish I had a model of it for my model collection. So awesome.

--Alex

18. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

Dear God I love this thing.

19. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

would the word 'polaris' near the front/top area make more sense if it was rotated 90 degrees clockwise?

20. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This. In spades...