Requesting Some 3D Help...

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Ensign Ro-, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Ensign Ro-

Ensign Ro- Commander Red Shirt

Hello My Fellow BBSers,

I have made a similar request in the past and mainly just received some negative feedback. However, I am going to try again.

I am working on a 2D animated Trek project. I would like to have a simple 3D version of the enclosed design for the purpose of "tracing" in Flash for use in the animation. A 3D model would greatly help me in creating custom angles of the ship. I've drawn several angles from scratch, but a model would greatly speed up the process and allow for more choices.

No detail is needed...just the basic shape. And, yes, as several people have pointed out in the past, I could do it using SketchUp, DAZ, etc. My work schedule doesn't really offer me the time to learn yet another piece of software. My job tends to do that. :-)

In any event, if there is one of you talented artists interested in helping me out, I'd be forever grateful. The only thing I can offer is permanent placement in the closing credits for the duration of this project...which I hope will have a long life.

Thank you all very much for taking the time to read this.

RO-

[​IMG]

2. Starscape

Starscape Commodore Fan Art Challenge Winner

If you're still interested, I've had a go at your design.

I would have mentioned it earlier, but I haven't been too reliable at finishing projects lately. :alienblush:

[​IMG]
    (Click to enlarge)

I added the Enterprise-type impulse deck to your design just to see what it would look like, but that can be removed.

It's built in Blender, btw.

3. Ensign Ro-

That is exactly what I needed! Just a reference model I can spin, rotate, etc. so I may draw different 2D angles in Flash. I'm very, very impressed. Thank you so much! Is there any way I could get the Blender model from you?

4. Starscape

Thanks and you're very welcome. :)

I can add some basic textures with the name and registry, if you want.

Once I've tidied up the blender file, I'll put it on my webspace and PM you a link.

5. Ensign Ro-

Thanks again! Can't tell you how much I truly appreciate this. And please let me know what name I should use in the credits. Definitely including you. You da man!

6. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Rice Admiral Premium Member

Whoa, that's a nifty design! Like if the Defiant and Miranda classes bumped uglies to make a baby starship. :D

7. Ensign Ro-

Thanks. I designed it for an animated web series I am currently producing. The series takes place a year after The Undiscovered Country and focuses on the dismantling of the Klingon/Fed Neutral Zone. This ship is a new class...The Sentinel Class. The Perseus is the command ship for this mission.

You're welcome to follow the progress on my FB Group Page...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/427109314011506/

8. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

sure looks good in 3D :)

9. Ensign Ro-

It sure does! He did a great job. I received a lot of criticism on my design when I first presented it but I truly think it works. Seeing it in 3D helps a lot. Another member here, Solarbaby, did a simple SketchUp model of it which is great. This rendition truly has the proportions correct. Makes me anxious to get going on this project again...once my work schedule allows. Shooting for a late fall, early winter premiere of the first 15 minute episode.

10. Solarbaby

Solarbaby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hahaha puts my sketchup frankensteined model to shame. Im really pleased someone came to your rescue! Now get animating!!

11. Starscape

Here's a few minimal textures added:

[​IMG]
    (Click to enlarge)

Ensign Ro-, if you haven't used Blender before the Noob to Pro book/tutorial is a good place to learn the basics. The interface can look a bit daunting at first. ;)

12. Ensign Ro-

That looks bad ass! I love it. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

And, Solarbaby...your "Frankenstein" model will still come in very handy. Thank you VERY much for helping me out with this.

13. Starscape

Thanks! :)

Just for fun I tried a toon render... I probably didn't get the settings quite right. :shrug:

[​IMG]

Anyway, I've got the blender file uploaded onto my webspace so I'll be PM'ing you the link soon, Ensign Ro-.

14. Mycroft Maxwell

Mycroft Maxwell Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Wow, Ensign Ro and Starscape!! Great design Ensign, and thats a pretty nice mesh Starscape. Wish I could build ships. I have tried and tried to lurn to build meshes. Just can't seem to understand the interface and lingo. But I'm not so bad with rendering though. I hope to see the 2d animated project soon!!!

15. Starscape

Thanks Mycroft Maxwell. :)

Yeah, there's a lot to get your head around when you start 3d-ing. If you can't understand one piece of software try another, there's several free ones out there. See which one fits you best. I started with Anim8or as the interface seemed the friendlest, at the time, and there was plenty of tutorials. :)

16. Ensign Ro-

He did an amazing job with my design. I'm so grateful.