So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm reading Stargazer Three by Micheal Jan Friedman

2. JeBuS

JeBuS Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Currently reading Time Travelers Never Die, by Jack McDevitt

Kinda slow to start, but getting better now that time travel has actually been introduced.

3. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

I finished off Vanguard #5 Precipice last night and have started on book 6, Declassified. I've been loving this series. Too bad it has to end. Hopefully Seekers fills the impending void :)

4. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

OMG! That is too funny. :guffaw:

Please let us know what you think of these two books after you've read them. Please start with the Janet Lennon book. That one has me stumped as to why anyone would write such.

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just started STTP: Brinkmanship this morning.

6. Sigokat

Sigokat Commander Red Shirt

Reading Star Trek: A Choice of Catatsrophes. (Its TOS)

My first Trelk novel in a long time. My friend got it for me (along with 4 others) while I was home on R&R. This is the first one I grabbed from my backpack on my way back into theater. So far, not bad, I'm about 2/3 of the way done.

7. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

Finished "Synthesis" yesterday. Going to start on "Seize the Fire" next.

8. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

I finished Fringe: The Zodiac Paradox by Christa Faust last night.

I just now read the Xant story from New Frontier: No Limits, "Redemption" by Glenn Hauman & Lisa Sullivan.

I haven't yet decided what I'm going to read next.

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

What did you think of the Fringe book? I'm a big fan of the TV series, and the books have really intrigued me, especially the Walter/Bell one.

10. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Good luck. That's... a bit of a clunker.

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Having finished AG now, I don't think it's a "side story." It takes things in a different direction than one might have anticipated, but it's a direct continuation and resolution of the core characters' storylines. Although I agree that the emphasis was a bit too much on the religious politics on Hela, with the consequences of that arc to the larger narrative being glossed over in a brief epilogue.

12. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just posted my review of the first book in The Fall, David R. George III's Revelation and Dust. It works well as setup for the rest of the The Fall series, I think. Of course, that depends on where the series goes next. A difficult one to review without seeing the payoff!

Right now I'm finally finishing up Mavericks: An Incorrigible History of Alberta by Aritha Van Hirk and The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood.

13. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

I found it to pretty good. The story was interesting and gripping. It's perhaps the earliest view of the characters we've seen, and I thought they where spot on. There are few nods to things from the series but not a lot. I did feel that the ending was wrapped up a little quickly, but I seem to think that about a lot of novels. Bottom line, if you're a fan of the series you should enjoy it. Just remember that it's a prequel about Walter, Bell, & Nina, so don't expect to see any Peter or Olivia.

14. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I finished Star Trek: Revelation and Dust a few days ago. I'm doing a big Dune series reread, in chronological order (including the brian Herbert/KJA books but excluding the Bulerian Jihad books or the bene gesserit prequel). I'm on God Emperor of Dune. To mix it up, I'm also going to reread the Department of Temporal Investigations books (Watching the Clock and Forgotten History). I really like them, and its been a bit over a year since I read them, so I'll have some star trek to mix in with my Dune reading.

15. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm a little over halfway through Paulo Freire's Pedagogy of the Oppressed. It's amazing, but very dense.

I took a short break from it last week, to read The Fall: Revelation and Dust, which I loved. Have ended up starting a re-read of KRAD's Articles of the Federation as a result, too.

After Pedagogy, I'm gonna go back and try to finish The Honourable Schoolboy and then either move straight to Smiley's People, or re-start and then finally finish Howard Zinn's A People's History of the United States.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, I know it's a prequel, it's actually what interests me most about it.

17. Garrovick

Garrovick Commander Red Shirt

I somehow got out of the habit of posting in this thread for quite some time (4 months). Not sure why, I certainly haven't stopped reading. Over the summer, I've basically focused on my project of reading all of Pocket's ST books in more-or-less publication order, while also keeping up-to-date on new releases as they come out. Since my last post, I have read all ST novels published between Windows on a Lost World (TOS #65, published in early 1993) and Blaze of Glory (TNG #34, published in early 1995). I've also read everything published in 2013 up to and including Revelations and Dust. I've also mixed in a few other SF/Fantasy books such as A Dance with Dragons by George R. R. Martin, and some non-fiction as well. I recently finished a (partial) re-read of Reclaiming History: The Assassination of John F. Kennedy by Vincent Bugliosi. It's a massive work but well worth reading if you are interested in the subject matter. You may not agree with his conclusions (although I do), but he makes a very compelling argument.

That having been said, currently reading:

Valhalla (DS9 #10), by Nathan Archer
    Gone for Soldiers by Jeff Shaara

18. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

I'm reading "Magiƫr", so I probably won't read any Startrek books in a while.

19. oddment

oddment Ensign Newbie

I'm reading DS9 #3 Bloodletter. I'm about 3/4 through and the story is okay, nothing special, but it suffers from the same problems a lot of the novels written during a first season of Trek. Character's are a bit off. And they keep referring to Bajorans as humans.

"Horen Rygis was as human as she [Kira]"

This happens a couple times and I just shake my head every time I read it. Overall though if I found another Trek book by K.W. Jeter I would read it.

20. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

You have to remember that we started writing those early DS9 books before the series hit the air. At first, all we had to go on was an early bible and the script of the pilot. If Bloodletter was #3, it's very possible Jeter hadn't even had a chance to watch an episode yet.

Readers sometimes comment that Kira is too on hard Bashir in the book John Betancourt and I wrote (#9), but that was just us picking up on that scene in the pilot where Kirk and Bashir first meet--and she rips him a new one. Obviously, the characters' relationship ended up evolving in a different direction, but we didn't know that back in 1993. :)