Soon-To-Be GF wants to watch Trek with me...Where to start?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by KaineMorrison, Jul 6, 2014.

1. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

And don't be discouraged. My girlfriend was hardly a Trekkie when we met, and we've been together for decades now . . . .

2. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

My wife has little to no interest in Star Trek/Sci-Fi. She comes to each new movie - once :lol:, and quite likes the odd "Data" TNG. We love each other to bits. Similarly, none of my previous girlfriends have been particularly into it either - never stopped me having some great relationships.

If she doesn't get it, no big deal, there's much, much more common ground to be trodden! I must admit, it would have been interesting to go out with a "Sci-Fi chick" just once though!

3. Greg Cox

Yeah, but suppose she likes DS9 and you prefer Voyager? That could be a lot more complicated! :)

4. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

In my experience, non-geeks take more easily to TNG than other Trek series.

5. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If she's asking to watch Trek with you because you like it, she's already your girlfriend.

Just sayin'.

6. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

You're right, sparks might fly. She could end up brooding in the Gamma Quadrant, while I'd be sulking in the Delta!!! :)

7. Greg Cox

And then the touchy subject of Babylon-5 comes up . . . and you end up sleeping on the couch! :)

8. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

If going the TOS route, "The Devil in the Dark" could be perfect...it's a "monster" story with a twist that exemplifies what Trek is all about.

9. Greg Cox

And it doesn't require a whole lot of Star Trek knowledge to comprehend. There's a "monster" on the loose, killing miners, and Captain Kirk and Mister Spock have to deal with the crisis. It's a very straightforward situation--with, as noted, a neat twist at the end.

The only question is how forgiving your girlfriend is of 1960's effects.

10. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It definitely helps to know her well enough to know which Trek she'd likely enjoy. My wife is not a scifi or geeky type, but I knew she would like DS9 because of the (eventual) serial elements, the romances, the great storylines and the way it all ends. I had to keep assuring her it was going to get good, but by sometime in season 2 or 3 she was hooked. I told her even the early episodes were important because of character and relationship development, which is true. She watched all 7 seasons and really liked it!

I know she won't like TNG or VOY, and probably not ENT either. Definitely not TOS just because she doesn't really get into classic TV. But I did "make her" watch the original Trek films starting with TWOK, and she enjoyed them. She was mad that Spock died though, but all was forgiven with TSFS. LOL!

11. jaz'a

jaz'a Vice Admiral Admiral

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is how she generally responds to old shows.

I've tried watching TNG, but it is so incredibly dated that it just annoys me. I haven't been able to sit through a whole episode and I've tried numerous times. I haven't given TOS a chance because I assume that will be even worse.

Voyager been 20 years old doesn't bother me, because I watched it when it first came out. I can see where it is dated but I love it all the more for it.

If she generally doesn't watch really old shows, I'd probably go with something from DS9 or voyager.

12. Shat Happens

Shat Happens Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"SOON TO BE GF" <-- That's an expression I never heard before.

Either you are the stud among the studs, or she is the "soon to be ex-soon-to-be-gf"

Keep Star Trek out of this for the moment.

BUT IF you are right, show Kirk falling for Edith Keeler and Rayna Kapek and then being a jerk with the Triskelian girl (I forget her name) and Janice Rand (the good Kirk / bad Kirk episode). That will give har an idea of the latitude us male Trekkers are capable of.

Also Spock betraying the Romulan Commander and the blonde from the spores planet. That will surely help. When she begins to talk about marriage, it's Amok Time time.

13. Shat Happens

Shat Happens Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"SOON TO BE GF" <-- That's an expression I never heard before.

Either you are the stud among the studs, or she is the "soon to be ex-soon-to-be-gf"

Keep Star Trek out of this for the moment.

BUT IF you are right, show Kirk falling for Edith Keeler and Rayna Kapek and then being a jerk with the Triskelian girl (I forget her name) and Janice Rand (the good Kirk / bad Kirk episode). That will give har an idea of the latitude us male Trekkers are capable of.

Also Spock betraying the Romulan Commander and the blonde from the spores planet. That will surely help. When she begins to talk about marriage, it's Amok Time time.

14. Anji

Anji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Assisting in the birth of baby Horta on Janus VI
    Go with "The Trouble with Tribbles". It's always a hit.

And if she doesn't want a second date with you because you're a Star Trek fan, she's not good enough for you.

And I know what I'm talking about: Star Trek fan since 1966, married since 1983, three adult kids (all Trek fans).

Live long and prosper, dude!

15. junkdata

junkdata Lieutenant Commander

It is easier to break through the galactic barrier, than it is the friend zone.