FX/editing wishlist/technical/related discussion for STNG-R

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by RAMA, May 11, 2011.

1. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Re: What new FX/editing do you want to see in the STNG-R?

They said it would have recomposited effects in the press release.

2. Vanyel

Vanyel The Imperious Leader Premium Member

Were they going to redo some of the FX? If so, they can resize the two BoP in the background and change the ship behind Enterprise to a Vor'Cha. 1 Federation ship and 1 Klingon ship of approximately equal fire power to the two Romulans plus two smaller ships to harass the Warbirds. The odds would definitely still be in Picards favor, even though I'm sure Enterprise would be Tomalok's main target.

3. The Rock

The Rock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I know a lot of people won't agree with me on this, but what the hell.....

I wish they would pull a George Lucas on "Q Who", "The Best of Both Worlds", "I, Borg" and "Descent." They should not only make the Borg cube look like the First Contact and Voyager ones, but they also CGI the interiors of the Borg cube to make it look exactly how it did on FC and Voyager. Also, I want them to digitally alter the costume of each Borg drone to make them look the FC and Voyager Borg.

I know that this would be incredibly hard to do, and I know it won't happen, but damn would I love to see it.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  4. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah I don't agree. They looked clinical and menacing in TNG, like the inside of a 486. In Voyager they were dark and bathed in green light. Eugh... I guess they "adapted".

5. Ebuntor

Ebuntor Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I understand that they've "recompositioned the effects". Could someone please explain what recompositioning is?

6. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They scanned the various parts of the effects scenes (ships, star backgrounds, etc...) that were filmed on different rolls of film, then layered them over each other in a computer and recreated the final shot used in the show in higher quality.

7. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

These two posts over in the The OFFICIAL STNG-R discussion thread give a pretty good summary of it.

Link 1.

Link 2.

8. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Just why?

9. Sean Aaron

Sean Aaron Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If all they're going to do is clean up the effects shots a bit then I'm not buying; ripping my DVDs will suffice. It really needs to be a Star Trek Remastered-style revamp of the series for me to bite.

10. bullethead

I imagine that part of the reason they are going with a sampler instead of a full release is that they want feedback on some of the effects work, particularly the numerous stock footage shots of the various E-D models and whether the constant switching between them is too jarring. If there's enough complaints about the model inconsistancy, they might go with just a CGI E-D in the rest TNG-R.

11. Savage Dragon

Well I never bought the DVDs so this is most lilkey going to be a buy for me, assuming of course I get approval from "the boss".

I don't really see why you would want unconvincing CGI instead of the original shots. As much as I like TOS-R the CGI is not what I would call convincing. The model shots of the E-D will look far better when transferred to HD than the CGI used in TOS-R.

12. Sean Aaron

Sean Aaron Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not meaning as much the CGI as offering something different. If the exterior shots are reworked for more variety/drama so it looks fresh that would be worthwhile. Adding more lines of resolution to the existing prints would be meaningless to me.

13. bullethead

True, but the big problem is that a lot of the model shots are lame, quite frankly. This is especially obvious once you get to an action scene- at least 60% of them are stock footage that is horribly boring and at worst contradicts the dialogue (see Yesterday's Enterprise, where the E-D is supposedly is moving around, yet is shown to be sitting absolutely still and letting the Klingons pummel it).

14. Savage Dragon

Yeah, I realize that. I would be open to them changing some stuff but only if they could match the look of the existing footage. Who knows if they have a budget for that.

15. Tomalak

Would be nice to upgrade the planets as in TOS, and maybe spruce up a few other select episodes. TNG didn't tend to be about space battles as much as DS9 and Voyager though.

Just a thought - do The Inner Light and Sins of the Father use any unique shots of the Enterprise, or is it all the ILM stock from the pilot?

16. bullethead

They might have shots of the 4 footer, since that one came into use in early season 3 IIRC.

17. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Sins: Season 3
    Effects shots
    Starbord Ventral shot looking forward to BoP
    ILM shot (rear, slow cruise 1)
    ILM shot (port warp)
    Quo'nos matte (several)
    LCARS
    More LCARS
    Yet more LCARS

Light: Season 5
    Probe
    4 footer with probe
    Lit ventral
    Stock ILM slow cruise 2

That seems to be it. Looks like they're giving us "easy" episodes at first.

18. Tomalak

^Thanks for doing the research I couldn't be bothered with Squiggy :p

Assuming they just remaster all the stock shots as part of Farpoint, then the SFX work for the other two stories is minimal. I did suspect that might be the case, it brings costs down for the tester disc.

Also that BoP shot is originally from Star Trek III, so it will be sexy cinematic quality. So it's just the Probe and that one shot of the four-footer, which could be easily replaced with stock of the six-footer...

I hope the mattes get remade with more detail, like the ones in TOS-R, and maybe some of the LCARS too. Will be interesting to see what they look like in HD.

19. Savage Dragon

Well with Michael Okuda onboard as a consultant we could be in for some nice surprises since he's the one who designed the LCARS look.

20. hamudm

hamudm Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, I saw that... I wish both versions were available on blu-ray :(