submarine naval-style battle ENT episodes

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by jefferiestubes8, Feb 24, 2015.

1. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

I posted a thread in the General Discussion and thought I'd post here for ENT-specific since ENT's ship interior is much more like a submarine.

CorporalCaptain mentioned Azati Prime.
    What other ENT episodes have a naval-style and submarine feel for the tactics and weapons and battles compared to other movies and TV shows?

2. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

I think the DS9 Defiant's interior is much more "submarine-like."

:)

3. eyeresist

eyeresist Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

4. USS KG5

USS KG5 Vice Admiral Admiral

For better or worse, ENT followed the same rules as the other recent shows and movies, using it's CGI to show fast paced space combat like the battle in NEM, rather than the stately battles of TWOK, for example.

That said, in the first couple of battles, where they are over in a few shots, there is a faintly naval feel, but not really.

Ironically, what space combat would presumably be like, using insanely powerful weapons at high speed and very long ranges, was only really ever shown in TOS!

5. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

USS KG5 could you mention which ENT episodes?

I thought that ENT's space battles and production value during red alerts was similar in tone to VOY with music and overall feel. I am guessing the next Trek TV series will be similar to the VOY and ENT feel of space battles and totally unlike the frenetic pacing (and lens flares) of JJ Abrams Star Trek (2009) scifi action movie.

6. T'Girl

The Enterprise of TOS was basically a mobile firing platform, very much a naval cruiser. The Enterprise Dee as well.

The Enterprise NX-01 moved more like a fighter plane, very fast maneuvers, although somewhat less than the Defiant could.

Voyager would be in the middle.

7. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Commodore Commodore

The NX class had two sets of impulse engines- two on the saucer and two on the pontoons, and a fairly low mass without a secondary hull. Not too surprising it was able to maneuver well in combat.

Until the DS-9 Dominion Wars most of the ships moved slowly- while the battles were fun to watch they seemed to set the stage for all capital ships to swoop around in battle.

8. T'Girl

I took the four impulse engines on the ship to be a indication that the time period's impulse engines were not very powerful.

9. toughlittleship

toughlittleship Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

DS9's "Starship Down" is probably the most submarine like ST episode.