X-Files Bombs

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by mswood, Jul 26, 2008.

1. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I'm a big fan and even I'm not saying it was the best film ever. :p I'm not THAT crazy of a fan.

Although, I'm in the minority as I think it was a pretty good film.

2. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

I was wondering this myself. They seem to be apart in this film just for the sake of manufacturing drama.

I think what might have hurt this film is it's really been a long time since they've been on television. About six years? Carter wanted to end the show after five years and a movie. But network greed kept it going and the show fizzled in its last few years. That's why I'm glad Lost will be ending when it does.

3. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

This movie was going to come out a few years ago but some legal issues between Fox and Chris Carter held it up. Six years since the show went off it quite a long time. I suspect that a lot of the casual fans of the show have lost interest in the last 6 years. It's mainly the hard core going out to see it.

4. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

The trailer and commercial spots did it in, too. Carter was so dead set on making sure no one knew about the plot that he revealed nothing at all. That made the previews pretty damn boring and not accessible to new audiences.

5. DontFeedPhil

DontFeedPhil Fleet Captain

I feel bad for Sculder and Mully. I loved the show...:techman:

6. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Unintentional slip of the tongue or oblique reference to the completely juvenile but still hilarious The X-Fools?

7. Jack Bauer

It's bumming me out that the movie isn't doing well and we might not get another. To get some new X-Files and to have it go away again maybe forever makes me sad. Depressed actually...I just may wait for the DVD instead of going to the theater. Or not. I'm kind of bummed because I've got no one to goesit with and I hate seeing movies by myself. I'm seeing the Mummy next week so I can't see X-Files next week and I may not be able to see it during the week either. By the time I get around to it the movie may be out of theaters by then. :(

8. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

For what it's worth, I thought they did pretty well with the budget they had to make the movie cinematic. Of course, the X-Files TV show was always very cinematic (they even filmed in widescreen for more than half their run), too, so that might not be enough to convince you to go.

9. Jack Bauer

I'll probably go. I'll just have to suck it up and go alone. It would be easier with my brother here but unfortuately he's at Comic Con.

10. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I know how you feel. I had to suck it up and go alone this morning. I might go again with my brother when he gets in from a long trip tomorrow, but I don't know. Everyone else who might be interested has bailed on me.

11. TedShatner10

TedShatner10 Commodore Commodore

Overseas and DVD sales are not even factor? Why screen overseas or sell DVDs to begin with, if the studios don't care? I'm convinced American studios rely on worldwide box office and DVD sales to cover any domestic losses.

12. HopefulRomantic

HopefulRomantic Mom's little girl Moderator

This was one of my disappointments as well. At the end of the series, Mulder and Scully were together, "me and thee against the world." I expected to see that, at least. In this film there were some "together" moments, but too few to fulfill my expectations, and more "apart/at odds" moments that seemed contrived and just ended up frustrating me.

That being said, I'm glad I saw it. I still enjoy the characters. I thought Mulder was written very well, and Scully in Rescue Mode was classic.

I hope the smaller budget helps the movie make enough to green-light that mythology sequel too.

13. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

very true, I didnt even know it was out, there has been very little press.

14. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

I'm worried that even if it makes a profit that they won't approve another film because, from a theoretical standpoint, a movie focusing on the invasion will require a larger budget that Fix may not be willing to approve.

15. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe X-Files could've done better against Batman if they sang ABBA songs...

16. TremblingBluStar

TremblingBluStar Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't see this as remotely the same. Serenity was a film released without a huge fanbase and a show that is known worldwide. Serenity was released at the end of September - a notoriously bad month for films - not July. X-Files wasn't delayed for six months and didn't have 40 preview showings where nearly every major fan of the show has already seen the movie.

In other words, Serenity had much much more going against it than any film based on a huge worldwide hit show that lasted ten years! :p

17. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

More accurate numbers are out and X-Files did 4.025 million on Friday.

This points to a 10 to 12 million opening weekend. Meaning its US run will be considered a failure. It should get between 25 to 33 million for its US run (unless it really falls hard, which is possible).

Now as many people have said, its cost is low and even with prints and ad cost its overall total will be between 50 and 60 million. And that number is not hard to make with overseas and DVD sales.

Now unless it does well in those two areas (I mean far far better then its US performance), it will kill the show.

Studios aren't interested in concepts that are of declining interest. As film cost will only go higher. And typically sequels of sequels make less and less money (Bourne trilogy and LOTR are the two modern exceptions were each film increased in revenue).

So I say enjoy the film (if you like it) and be thankful for all the good episodes we did get over 9 years.

18. Thespeckledkiwi

Thespeckledkiwi Vice Admiral

Uh, are you sure about that? Star Trek, when green lighted, was at a very low interest. After Speed Race, anime might be at a low point, so why do Dragon Ball Z? Star Wars: Clone Wars after an explosion of Star Wars stuff, and the decline is waning. There are other things as well.

19. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

As much as I'd like to think otherwise, mswood speaks the truth. The best thing about the X-Files is that it's not in the same boat as Serenity--Fox still has the television rights. It's possible something could happen there. It's also possible that the film could do well overseas, or continue to make money here domestically, but it's not likely.

20. Thespeckledkiwi

Thespeckledkiwi Vice Admiral

Yes, it is. Serenity is a very niche television show. VERY niche. And since Whedon has moved on, well it's pretty much dead.