The 12 Worst Star Trek: DS9 Episodes Ever

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by fieend, Feb 14, 2012.

1. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

^It's not the only reason I don't like the episode, as I found it overall kind of boring. It was just an extra observation.

As for Trials and Tribble-ations, it was a tribute episode for Trek's 30th (I think) anniversary. That's what made it necessary in comparison to Who Mourns for Morn, which is part of a very uneven season 6.

2. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

How can it be an "extra" reason if it's the only reason you cite? :lol: But I get what you're saying. I watched it a few days ago as well, and it's less action and more murder mystery, and I thought the twist at the end was neat, if poorly executed. I don't think it's one of the show's stronger episodes, but I also don't think it's one of the worst. :shrug:

I guess I'm a little confused by what you define as "necessary" in this context then? As I said, it was a fun romp of an episode, sandwiched between two very 'heavy' drama episodes ("Waltz" and "Far Beyond the Stars"), so I'm just curious about your reasoning?

3. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Perhaps Necessary wasn't the right word. It's actually a small pet peeve I have when people talk about the "filler" (Another pet peeve I have) episodes of a show being unnecessary and I too don't entirely understand why that would be a case. If an episode is well written and adds something to the enjoyment of the show, than why is it considered "filler" and treated like that's a bad thing?

Anyway, the reason why I called Who Mourns for Morn unnecessary (Again, maybe not the right word) is because they took a somewhat running gag of the entire series that was best when it was subtle, and made an entire episode about it and it ended up being kind of forgettable.

4. BennyRussel

BennyRussel Commander Red Shirt

Right around the corner. Just across the track.
    Some episodes mentioned here I agree with. Others not so much.

One I hate is Extreme Measures. This is a boring, 45-minute walk through someone's subconscious. Sloan was a character we hardly knew and I certainly don't care about how he wanted to subconsciously apologize to his wife and family on his deathbed.

One reason I hate it so much is because it was slapped in the middle of the intense final arc and it was just dragged-out filler.

Also they made his subconscious look just like the station. A trick that they had used before. Why would someone who had only been on DS9 once even have the station in the recesses of his mind? Because we need to save money on sets.

I liked the idea of luring Sloan to DS9 to try to get a cure for Odo. I just think the execution was boring and poorly done. They could have made an intense interrogation aspect to it where Julian and Miles outwit or breaks down (conscious) Sloan to get the cure. Similar to the the classic scenes in Duet and The Die is Cast but they blew it.