The X Files : Season Two

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by DATA476, Aug 23, 2008.

1. DATA476

DATA476 Ensign Red Shirt

Season: Two
    Air Dates: 16th September, 1994 - 19th May, 1995
    Episodes: Twenty Five through Fourty Nine

The X Files | Season Two
    Just to remind you, below is the list of episodes from the second season...

(8.6) 25. Little Green Men
    (8.6) 26. The Host
    (8.1) 27. Blood
    (8.3) 28. Sleepless
    (9.0) 29. Duane Barry (Part 1)
    (8.9) 30. Ascension (Part 2)
    (7.4) 31. 3
    (8.9) 32. One Breath
    (7.8) 33. Firewalker
    (8.2) 34. Red Museum
    (7.8) 35. Excelsis Dei
    (7.9) 36. Aubrey
    (8.7) 37. Irresistible
    (8.6) 38. Die Hand Die Verletzt
    (7.8) 39. Fresh Bones
    (8.8) 40. Colony (Part 1)
    (8.9) 41. End Game (Part 2)
    (7.2) 42. Fearful Symmetry
    (8.0) 43. Dod Kalm
    (8.8) 44. Humbug
    (7.8) 45. The Calusari
    (8.4) 46. F. Emasculata
    (8.1) 47. Soft Light
    (8.4) 48. Our Town
    (9.1) 49. Anasazi (Part 1)

My View: It's an alright season with several noticeable highs but I actually think it's a slight step down from Season 1. Characters were better fleshed out and the myth-arc episodes were great but I think the 'Monster of The Week' episodes, many of them, seemed lazy and merely average, whereas in Season 1, I can only think of three distinctly weak MOTW episodes. All in all it struck me as a good season of television. It's good TV, but not great TV, and it rarely excels in terms of visuals like it did later on. I'd like to add through that in terms of visuals "The Host" which was the episode with the Flukeman was very much impressive as was it rather disgusting, watch out for the moment this guy spits out one of the worm things... it's very much one of the moments in the second season that you'd probably not want to watch again, it was grusome...

What are your views on Season Two of The X Files?

2. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I think the first eight episodes that comprise the first X-Files shutdown arc are excellent, even the standalones. The mythology is even better than it was in season one. Anasazi is one of the best episodes of the series. Of the monster of the week episodes, the only one that immediatly sticks out as weak is "Firewalker" (an Ice clone, basically). Improved over season one (but not up to season three levels). Glad they experimented with humor in "Humbug."

3. DATA476

DATA476 Ensign Red Shirt

I totally agree with you here. You'd think a show like this would do terribly bad doing episodes so confined to humour, but "Humbug" was to my surprise and pleasure a successful and entertaining episode that actually dealt with some very humourous elements while not actually straying away from what The X Files is supposed to be about. I totally agree with the decision to experiment with humour on the part of the writers.

4. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Humbug is definitely one of my favorite episodes of the whole series. :bolian:

5. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

The wife and I are going through the season 2 box set ATM (along with Buffy season 5 and Angel season 2 - and DS9 season 7). We've seen up to Fresh Bones so far, and it's as good as I remember, though I've forgotten a lot of actual details.

Highlights so far are Duane Barry/Ascension and Die Hand Die Verletzt.

6. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just watched Duane Barry/Ascension about a month ago. That's a great pair of episodes.

7. crouteru

crouteru Captain Captain

Great season. I especially like the way they handled Gillian Anderson's pregnancy by introducing the abduction storyline. I also liked that there was more episode continuity. The one episode I didn't care for was '3'. Vampires are the one monster that seems to crop up in every sci-fi and fantasy show at some point. This one was below average at best.

8. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I like '3' more than most, but it certainly doesn't hold a candle to that other X-Files episode with vampired, 'Bad Blood.'