"RUN! HE HAS CRYSTAL EYES!!"

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Kelso, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    I just finished watching "Arena" with my five year old for the first time. What a hoot! She was into from beginning to end, but she was really taken by the Gorn... especially his "crystal eyes." It's funny that the modern takes on the Gorn (from ENT and XI) seem intent on giving them more realistic eyes. My daughter couldn't get over his eyes!

Other noteworthy comments...

"Is he fast?"

"Can he climb?"

"Do you like his knees? I don't"

"Where's the Tardis?" :rofl:

"They're watching him on T.V.?"

Has anyone else watched this one with a child recently? If you haven't, I recommend it!

2. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe we should have picked that one instead of The Doomsday Machine to introduce my niece and nephew to Trek. They didn't seem excited by the concept or the action, thought the phaser effects looked silly, and laughed at William Windom's whinging as he dove into the maw. Oh well.

3. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

I love it! Star Trek through the eyes of a child. It's terrific, because you can relive it through them, as if you'd seen it for the first time. I remember so many of the things I first thought when I saw Star Trek as a child.

It's so great to hear her questions and observations, Kelso. :)

There's only a narrow window for this, though. In due time, kids become exposed to the seductive allure of high tech CGI, and good ol' TOS looks lame to them in comparison. They don't share the same frame of reference as us older folks. Once in a while there are exceptions, but for the most part they're far more into nuTrek.

When my sister and I were kids, I was really into Star Trek and she frequently sat along for the ride, waiting for "her turn" to watch a show that followed. I'll never forget when the Talosians showed up. "Hiney heads! Hehehehehee!!"

4. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Now show her the remastered new-CGI version, in which the Gorn blinks!

5. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

:lol:

This thread is shaping up to be a good one. Please do keep it coming, everyone.

6. Botany Bay

Botany Bay Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Our 4 year old watches Star Trek with us, and has become a bit of a hardcore fan. He has created his own episode titles though.

Kirk and the naughty baby - Friday's Child
    Kirk and the Haunted House - Catspaw
    Kirk and the naughty Spock - Mirror Mirror
    kirk and the rock monster - Savage Curtain
    Kirk and the pizza monster - Devil in the Dark

His main observations at the moment are to do with uniforms and hairstlyes : why does Kirk wear green in this epidode? Why is Sulu in red? Why is Chekov's hair funny? Doesn't Kirk know how to use a tricorder?

Favourite eps include Catspaw, Tribbles, Gothos, Arena, Man Trap, Friday's Child, Day of the Dove, Devil, Shore Leave, Savage Curtain.

Anything with monsters and plenty of action is a winner.

7. Therin of Andor

8. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My 13 year olds still watch TOS with me. My daughter dislikes Doomsday (gross, which means she was scared by it when younger). My son has always loved Arena. Tholian Web was a winner. Oddly enough, the Changeling, too, which doesn't seem real kidlike. My daughter really likes Spock and finds him very funny, which he really is. And not in those "3,467.298 to one" odds moments. His character driven retorts and statements are often funny. Way more, to me, than the so-called humor eps.

9. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This story involves DS9, but I'll recount it (again), anyway. When my daughter was around 2, she was watching DS9 with me. For some reason, when there was a long closeup on Quark, she walked up to the TV and put her baby doll bottle on his mouth, as if offering him some milk.

Doug

10. Kelso

That's the one we watched. The blinking didn't phase her.

Yes! That's why I went with "Arena" first.

That actually doesn't surprise me. I think my daughter would be entranced by Nomad.

:lol::guffaw:

This evening we watched "The Devil in the Dark" and she was with it from beginning to end! It's funny, she reacted to the Horta (or "rock monster") as if it was a scary monster that needed to be killed right up until they injured it with the phaser... then she felt bad for it, and said "They shouldn't hurt it, it's probably just mad about something." I was so proud! She never guessed that the silicon nodules were its eggs, though.

She asked a lot of questions about the Horta itself- "What's that? No, the red part! No, THE RED PART!"- and about the equipement- "What's that?" "It's his tricorder." "What's THAT?" "It's his little computer."

But her funniest reaction was during the scene where Kirk is facing down the Horta alone. Everytime Kirk would lower his phaser and the Horta would advance on him, she would throw up her hand and yell "STOP! Now, back up! Stay there!" and then he would lower the phaser and it would start all over again. I was in stitches.

She was really disappointed that we didn't get to see any little baby rock monsters at the end. C'mon, TOS-R team! You couldn't have thrown ONE in there somewhere? :lol:

She demanded to watch another episode after it was over. It may have just been a ploy to avoid going to bed... but it was a good one!

We watched "Miri" because I thought she would enjoy the kids. I was right, but her attention would wander every time Kirk and co. would hang out in the lab talking about the disease. But she did chant along with the kids through every single "Nyah-nyah" and "Bonk-bonk." That was fun. She also kept asking why they didn't just wash off the disease stuff. :)

I'm having a blast with this! If we have time tomorrow, I'm going to show her "What are little girls made of." I think she'll dig Ruk and Andrea.

11. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Did any of us original Trekkies figure out that they were eggs? That’s still pretty insightful for a five-year-old.
    A lot of us dig Andrea. :drool:

[​IMG]

12. Therin of Andor

They did. Someone is patting one, IIRC.

"The addition of the tiny figure of a miner, supposedly playing with a baby Horta, in front of the refinery (seen through the window in Vanderberg's office in the next to final scene)."

http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/The_Devil_in_the_Dark_%28TOS_episode%29

Just rechecked the ep. Yeah, the figures are very, very tiny, but they are definitely tending to a horta hatchling.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  13. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

You better watch out. Your daughter might start sneaking up behind you and "bonk bonking" you on your head.

14. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

I see two guys next to a pipe. Where's this Horta?

[​IMG]

15. Therin of Andor

Filling the space between the pipe and the leg of the guy on the right?

16. Kelso

As I expected, "What Are Little Girls Made Of?" was a hit! She enjoyed the "anjoids" and decided that we will get our own Enterprise some day and she will be the captain!

What a delightful way to spend the weekend. :)

17. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What did she think of Ted Cassidy's booming "angry god-like" voice?

Sincerely,

Bill

18. Kelso

Heh. She said he had a funny voice... but she was more entertained when he was doing the female voices! "He talks like a girl!"

19. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It'll be interesting if, upon watching "Corbomite..." your daughter realizes there's something oddly familiar about the false Balok's voice. Or, if she wants to watch "Crystal Eyes" again, she draws a connection to "...Little Girls..."

Sincerely,

Bill

20. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

I see nothing there but two guys and some little piece of equipment.