classic who anthology dvd box?

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by FreddyE, Nov 22, 2012.

1. FreddyE

FreddyE Captain Captain

I started with nuwho and would like to try some classic who. Is there something like a recommended "classic who best of" dvd box?

2. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Not so much, most stories are released as individual Stories (Though some are released according to commonality). The first few Hartnells are together in a set. Check out this thread (The Last Classic Who you watched) http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=186605

Many people select a story to watch because they really enjoy it, so, you'll find many good stories in that thread that are popular amongst fans

There's some fantastic stories in the Hartnell and Troughton eras, though, if you have trouble with padded stories, you're not likely to enjoy many of them. The color stories start with Pertwee Era, as does the first appearance of the Master (The Master is in quite a few Pertwee Stories). Tom Baker era is many American Viewers favorite era, as he was most exposed to us on PBS. Each era can be quite different from each other, with The Doctor and Companions and Producers and Writers changing every so often

3. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

I don't know if you live in the US or not, or if you have netflix streaming or not, but if you do, I would recommend streaming them through Netflix. They have a lot, if not all of them, and it would give you a chance to try it out. I've always found the the DVDs a bit pricey.

4. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

There sort of is one in existence... Lost in Time.

A collection of 18 episodes from the first two Doctors, it was borne out of the recovery of a lost episode. The main stories from the episodes no longer exist, but it does have a selection of episodes from five of the first six seasons.

5. FreddyE

FreddyE Captain Captain

Thanks for your suggestions. I don´t have access to netflix, because I live in Germany. But I ordered "The five doctors"...might be a good introduction to classic who. Then I can see which doctor I like best and buy further dvds from that doctors era.

6. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

That's a Good choice, I don't recall many fans who dislike it. Keep in mind, the First Doctor in that story is played by Richard Hurndall, doing a rather good impression of the Original Doctor played by William Hartnell, as Hartnell had already passed away. So, The first Doctor in this story isn't quite the same as the original, though a very good impression/example of his style

7. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Ah.

The Five Doctors is good, I think, as an introduction. It might have even been MY introduction...

Though, you won't get much of one of the Doctors...

BUT, if you like this story, there's a good chance you'll like Classic Who in all its forms...

8. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I actualy prefer Hurndals portrayal as the first doctor, Hartnal is to bitter, and snaps to easily in my opinion, while Hirndal is more caring and kind. Hurndal gives the impression of a grandfather like figure better than Hartnal, although Hartnal wasn't too bad as the first doctor. Then again, I'm not really a Hartnal fan anyway.

Anyway, I'd recomend that story to you, I'd also recomend genisis of the daleks as it's a clasic, tomb of the cybermen as it remains in my top 3 to this day, and is probably the best cybermen arc to date, the 1996 movie with Paul McGann because it's closser to the revival series to the clasic, and it's just brilliant, and my personal favourite the Tom Baker/Peter Davidson Master trillogy. It includes "the keeper of traken", "Logopilis" (Tom Bakers last story ever and my personal favourite), and "Castravalva". Such a good arc, and is just plain brilliant. Also try the two doctors, probably my favourite doctor cross over to date, it has the sontarans as the antagonists, and unlike a few of Colin Bakers storys, is done perfectly (although I'm a igger fan of Collin than most).

9. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

It's "Hartnell" and "Hurndall".

10. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    It simulates the experience of being a casual viewer who only watches the show sporadically.:p

11. FreddyE

FreddyE Captain Captain

I loved the five doctors...I think I´m going to continue with Peter Davison...I find him the most likeable of the five. (granted...we don´t see much of four there), One and two have something...can´t put my finger on it...something that makes them seem a bit to arrogant for my taste. And I´m not at all sure about what to make of three.

Which are considered Davisons best serials?

12. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

Caves of Androzani, his last story, is consistantly voted by fans as their favorite story of the entire series (not just 5's era).

Black Orchid is a fun, if extremely short, story. It requires no knowledge of any previous (or future) story, completely standalone, and is only 2 episodes.

If you've seen (and enjoyed) The Three Doctors, there is a follow-up called Arc of Infinity, in which the "bad guy" from TTD returns.

Of course, there is the standard Dalek story, and a Cyberman story that is notable for something happening in that story that hadn't happened since the 1960s, a shocking event (if you go in without spoiling yourself).

13. VDCNI

VDCNI Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Caves Or Androzani, Kinda, Earthshock, Snakedance, Enlightenment, The Visitation & The Awakening are all good and generally well liked.

His first story Castrovalva is decent but carries on from the last Tom Baker.

Avoid Timeflight & Warriors Of The Deep, the rest are all about average.

14. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    To some extent, the show really solidified its formula during the Tom Baker years. Everything after that is largely following in the same footsteps. And while Peter Davison was deliberate in trying to avoid mimicking Tom Baker's performance, it's worth noting that he often found himself performing scripts originally written for Tom Baker. "Kinda" was originally written for Tom Baker. And all of the 5th Doctor's scenes on Gallifrey in "The Five Doctors" were originally written for the 4th Doctor but got changed over when Tom Baker suddenly dropped out of the project.

As for the 1st 3 Doctors:

The Jon Pertwee years had a very different format from the rest of the series because they mostly focused on Earth-bound stories where he works as the scientific advisor for UNIT.

The William Hartnell years were very different because the Doctor wasn't really the lead character back then. It was more of the Ian & Barbara show while the Doctor was an enigmatic instigator.

Patrick Troughton's Doctor had a more prominent role on the series than the 1st Doctor but was still far from the infallible hero that he would become in later incarnations. In fact, I'd say Matt Smith is really the only other Doctor since then to play the role with the same kind of vulnerability.

My point is don't reject the 1st 3 Doctors out of hand just because their eras were considerably different from the new series that you're used to.

For my money, the top 4 Peter Davison stories are "The Visitation," "Earthshock," "The Five Doctors," & "The Caves of Androzani."

I kinda like "Time-Flight." It's not a great story but it's a fun little romp with a decent slice of unnecessary weirdness.

But I would advise avoiding "Warriors of the Deep." That was shite and features Turlough at his stupidest & most craven. Stay away from "Mawdryn Undead" too.

Personally, I would also not recommend "Kinda" or "Snakedance." I don't find the Mara that interesting. I suppose it's alright if you're already interested in Buddhist philosophy. But otherwise, it's just confusing.

And if you liked Anthony Ainley as the Master in "The Five Doctors," he was also in "Castrovalva," "Planet of Fire," and...
    "Time-Flight" & "The King's Demons."
    The Master also makes some decent appearances opposite the 6th & 7th Doctors in "The Mark of the Rani" & "Survival."