GUARDIANS of the GALAXY - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Agent Richard07, Jul 30, 2014.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

30.5%
  2. A

33.7%
  3. A-

16.1%
  4. B+

8.4%
  5. B

4.4%
  6. B-

2.0%
  7. C+

1.6%
  8. C

1.6%
  9. C-

0.8%
  10. D+

0.4%
  11. D

0.4%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Saw it last night, not disappointed. Rated it A.

Fun filled, witty dialogue, amazing effects. The interactions between the Guardians was a lot better then I expected. Rocket's emotional confession when he got drunk actually surprised me, there's more to him then a foul mouth and a love for guns. Chris Pratt really hits it home as Starlord. His introduction as a adult just had me grinning like an idiot.

Two things that were a bit 'I dunno':

Ronan was a bit of a repeat of Malekith; very 2-dimensional.
    The entire scene with The Collector was a complete plot-device, to tell us more about the orb and use the slavegirl as an thing almost to show us what happens when a mortal touches the Stone.

But really, for me, that was it. I had a blast, went with my gf and two friends, we all loved it. I can't compare it with the other team movie, The Avengers, because I feel that it's just a completely different animal. But yeah, Guardians Of The Galaxy..... It works.

2. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

I'd have been fine with Jane Kirk, though I'd prefer female Spock next recast.

I suppose Jolie is too old...

3. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

It'd be more apt to the discussion of Kirk was a Klingon and Spock was a Latino Human.

4. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Well, the Spock one can be rejected out of hand. Being alien is central to Spock's identity. However, do you have a problem with Spock's human half being latino or his mom being latina? I don't see how that would change his character at all.

5. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

So would a female Spock be Miss or Ms Spock or would they keep the militaristic 'Mister?'

6. Alidar Jarok

The actually military doesn't call women "Mr." IIRC, that's purely a Star Trek invention. One that I think they've abandoned anyway.

7. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

I think addressing her as "Commander" would be sufficient.

I love how the attempts of a certain crowd to come up with what they consider absurd-yet-relevant examples of diverse casting - like the Klingon/Latino thing - always reveal instead both narrowness of imagination and the essential fuzzy-headed misunderstanding of the question under discussion. :cool:

8. Captaindemotion

Didn't an early outline for TNG have a female descendant of Kirk as a character? Not quite the same as what we're discussing obviously, but it just reminded me of it.

9. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

For real. A Latino playing Spock! What an upside-down world that would be! :rommie:

10. Mister Fandango

You misunderstood.

Spock wouldn't be a half-Vulcan. He'd be a Latino Human. In exactly the same was as Kirk wouldn't be a Caucasian Human, but a full-blooded Klingon.

11. Captaindemotion

But Spock used to be played by a Jewish human. Did that really factor into his essence?

12. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

FTFY :rolleyes:

13. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

Did anyone else besides me think, "Tholian web!" when they saw the scene where the star blasters formed that energy grid against the Dark Aster?

14. Captaindemotion

^I thought so too, as did the friend I went to see it with the first time.

15. Mister Fandango

Hardly, since I was the one who brought it up as an example.

16. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Which just means you still misunderstand.

17. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

18. Mister Fandango

Not even remotely.

You people just refuse to see the point being made, trying to dismiss it because you realize it shatters your view of what racism actually is.

In fact, you guys demonstrate exactly why racism was as rampant as it was for centuries upon centuries of history. It's so engrained into your psyche you can't even conceive of it as actual racism.

Just because Caucasians aren't a minority in the United States, that's no reason whatsoever to try and alter characters that are older than most of you just to appease some misguided notion that doing so somehow makes you enlightened and hip to modern times.

It's really, really, really sad and pathetic. Especially with how you ignore the whole "why don't you try make new characters of other races and genders" bit. Because, God fucking forbid, that requires effort.

19. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, hate to burst your bubble but you're not the first white guy on the Internet to play "you're the real racist because you don't see Whitey as oppressed." Nor the first to mistakenly imagine he'd hit on something brilliant and groundbreaking in doing so. Nor the first to try to substitute dudgeon for argument when that gambit, being simply wrong from every possible angle, fails to impress.

(As for the Spock example, you're still trying to pretend that changing the character's premise is comparable to changing the ethnicity of the actor. Dennis was quite correct about how fuzzy-headed this sort of thing appears, but I find a hopeful indicator in that at the very least that form of rhetorical sillybuggers is a tacit acknowledgement of the silliness of your original point; otherwise you wouldn't be resorting to it.)

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  20. Alidar Jarok

How often does that happen where a movie is number one, drops, and then picks back up? Obviously, it says something about the film in between (big enough to take the crown but not good enough to keep it).