Abrams Directing Star Wars

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Kamdan, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Well, one out of two ain't bad.

2. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Ooh, they should totally do this as a short film before Episode XII.

3. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

If Abrams doesn't direct the next Trek movie, he and the Paramount execs working with him will pick someone hot who they agree can handle a blockbuster action flick and keep Star Trek on its current course. So there's nothing to worry about.

Do I understand, from the current conversation, that those kids leaning on the wall by the punch bowl at the prom were losers? I thought they just liked the refreshments.

4. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

They're probably just thirsty.

5. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    I suspect somebody spiked the punch.

6. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

Did anyone else yawn like 5 times when reading that?

Your sad high school issues aside, this is win/win for me - a decent and talented director is taking over a great franchise that I enjoy after lending a much needed hand to another great franchise that I enjoy (and will probably continue to do so in some capacity).

Everything's coming up Garak.

7. cooleddie74

I tend to stop taking a post seriously or even reading at all when the phrase "Uncle Tom" enters at stage right.

8. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Scroll to about the 4:50 mark in this video. It's from 1980.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YztgdsnvsU

Then there's this from now. When Disney owns everything, they can do anything:

http://www.endorexpress.net/2011/12/muppets-star-wars-action-figure-photo-review/

9. Admiral Buzzkill

TL; DR generally covers this sort of thing. Maybe TD;DR in this case.

Yep. It'll be fun to see a Star Wars movie again that's...fun. :techman:

10. cooleddie74

Revenge of the Sith had its moments but the last time I was genuinely excited and had pure, unfiltered fun watching a new SW film was Return of the Jedi. I just want to feel that swashbuckling wonder again and no matter how hard Lucas tried the prequels didn't have it.

11. YARN

YARN Fleet Captain

I do know what Abrams has publicly stated, which is our most direct evidence. Indeed, I quoted him it. Here it is, again:

“I frankly feel that – I almost feel that, in a weird way, the opportunity for whomever it is to direct that movie, it comes with the burden of being that kind of iconic movie and series. I was never a big ‘Star Trek’ fan growing up, so for me, working on ‘Star Trek’ didn’t have any of that, you know, almost fatal sacrilege"

This adds nothing to the conversation.

It's called a metaphor. Pour yourself a glass of punch. I'll explain it to you while JJ dances "Gangam Style" with that hot chick from a galaxy far far away.

Sure, he'll help out "in some capacity." Maybe he'll get a bros to give you a sympathy dance.

This may be good for Star Wars (Abrams is right that this is daunting task) and this may be good for Sci-Fi in general, but you're drinking the spiked stuff if you think this is direct benefit for the next Trek film in the franchise. Spin it all you want, he's got a new main squeeze.

12. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

And he is well within his rights to do it. You act as if Abrams invited Trek to the prom just so that he could dump pig's blood all over her face.

Life isn't "She's All That." Abrams didn't invite the ugly girl to the prom on a dare. He wanted to make a new Star Trek movie, and he did a good job. And now he's in the process of finishing another one, which looks like it's also going to be pretty good.

Star Trek, as a franchise, has seen a variety of different producers and directors. People move on to bigger and better things. We don't have any idea what's going through his head right now. Maybe he plans to stick around for Trek 3, maybe he doesn't. The bottom line is that people are allowed to change their minds. These are just movies. If Abrams leaves Trek, Trek will find another director.

The last job that I had I told myself could be a long-term career. 10 months later I found myself working somewhere else because I didn't like anymore. Things change. We can't all be held forever to the things that we say at one specific moment in our lives.

13. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Who may even...shock horror...make a decent third film! :)

14. cooleddie74

Star Trek films have never revolved around one director or cast so why should the Abrams-era movies be any different? If J.J. is too tired or busy (or both) to helm the third film then he and Paramount will nail down the best director they can for a reasonable price. That's Hollywood. Paramount made....what? Almost $400 million worldwide on Trek '09 and is banking on the new film to make big bucks and be a runaway summer hit?

They'll find somebody else if they have to. Hollywood is full of directors who wouldn't mind helming a major pop culture franchise, even if just for one movie.

15. Admiral Buzzkill

This all goes back to the notion on the part of trufans that we're supposed to be engaged in some kind of personal, emotional relationship with the people working on these movies - they talk about disloyalty, and being jilted, and all kinds of adolescent nonsense. Then they express the peculiar notion that the rest of us must be interested in those fantasies as well.

Abrams does Star Trek. Abrams does Star Wars. If you like what he does, it's all good.

I suppose if you don't, you can make up incompetent similes or coin terrible memes like the "Lucas raped my childhood" thing in order to reinforce your personal feelings of victimization - but really, who the fuck does that kind of thing?

Pretending that the Star Trek franchise has suffered a terrible blow because the guy who's in charge of it goes from success to success, and that those of us who are enjoying these movies should feel bad, is simply sour grapes.

One more time, for anyone who's slow: it doesn't work for you to try to paint Abrams's success as some kind of failure for anyone involved; it simply demonstrates the desperate bitterness of some of those who don't like what he's doing with Star Trek - and what he and the people who work for him will continue to be doing with it for some time to come. ;)

16. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Yeah, it's one thing if you just don't like Abrams' work. In that case, as a Star Wars fan, I might be bummed out that he is taking control of my beloved franchise. However, treating this like some kind of betrayal to Trek fans is just absurd and nonsensical.

17. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

I think that the "high-school dance" metaphor has at this point been worked way past time to say "Good-night." What say you make an effort to focus on the topic rather than on such wrong-footed attempts at baiting other posters?

18. Admiral Buzzkill

Here's my main hope for Abrams's Star Wars: he dumps John Williams as the composer (using the SW theme and opening, of course; Disney will mandate that) and films the thing in a faster paced and more modern style.

Maybe he can even make the characters interesting as people; he's done that with Star Trek.

Of course he'll have to live with 3D and working in digital; Disney will insist on that as well.

19. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

My only hope is that he gives me characters I can give a shit about. That has been sorely lacking from the SW franchise for a good long while.

20. Admiral Buzzkill

Agreed.

If Star Wars fans are as indignant a year from now as old-line trekkies have been since 2007 we'll know that Abrams is doing a good job.