RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 143,955
Members: 25,505
Currently online: 387
Newest member: Jaxonii

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old March 26 2015, 06:13 PM   #1471
mythme
Commodore

Re: Last Classic Who Story you watched

Shada - I tried it a while ago but was too distracted. This time around I really enjoyed it. could talk about what a pity it was that it was left unfinished. Its a good story. I suppose Chris Parsons is the forgotten companion, since he went for a ride in the Tardis.

Speaking of Shada, which do you all think is the more "canon" version, Baker's incomplete TV version or McGann's webcast/audio version? I'm going with McGann because, well, its complete and we need more McGann
Old March 26 2015, 06:46 PM   #1472
Emperor-Tiberius
Fleet Captain

The leaked re-edit of Ian Levine's recon. I watched it twice, and I loved it each time.

The other two don't exist, as far as I'm concerned.
"Seventy eight point four years, Doctor."

The Holy Three meet again, in The Return
Emperor-Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2015, 09:58 PM   #1473
diankra
Commodore

Doctorwhovian wrote: View Post
Plus it's the only Doctor Who to feature George Baker.
Though he was originally cast to play Thrawn in Power of Kroll. Still might not have been a classic, but if the refinery crew had been the original trio of Gorge Baker, Philip Madoc and Martin Jarvis you'd at least have had three star level actors sparking off each other in those scenes.

Interviewing George Baker when the Inspector Wexford DVDs came out, he said that at the start of rehearsals on Full Circle it was like a red corner and a blue corner in the rehearsal rooms; you had to chose if you were on Team Lalla or Team Tom. (Sorry if you've heard that one before...)
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27 2015, 04:13 AM   #1474
Davros
Fleet Admiral

Planet Of The Daleks
Old March 27 2015, 10:18 AM   #1475
Starkers
Admiral

diankra wrote: View Post
Plus it's the only Doctor Who to feature George Baker.
Though he was originally cast to play Thrawn in Power of Kroll. Still might not have been a classic, but if the refinery crew had been the original trio of Gorge Baker, Philip Madoc and Martin Jarvis you'd at least have had three star level actors sparking off each other in those scenes.

Interviewing George Baker when the Inspector Wexford DVDs came out, he said that at the start of rehearsals on Full Circle it was like a red corner and a blue corner in the rehearsal rooms; you had to chose if you were on Team Lalla or Team Tom. (Sorry if you've heard that one before...)
I hadn't head that Oh dear!

Currenly midway through Frontios...yay brainy specs!
Old March 27 2015, 10:10 PM   #1476
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
Well, the tapes arrived in the mail yesterday, I have the VCR set up and I am now half way through "The War Games". I am certainly enjoing it so far, and I'm generally not a fan of larger arcs. This one, however, is one is still going strong after five episodes without a lot of padding.

Truth to tell, Troughton seems to be the exception for me as far as longer arcs are concerned. I also greatly enjoyed "The Web of Fear" and "The Enemy of the World", which are both longer arcs as well.
Agreed. There's a great sense of pace in those longer Troughton stories. Have you seen "The Invasion" yet? It's an 8-parter and it's probably my favorite Doctor Who story ever. The DVD is out of print so it's selling for a ridiculous $200 on Amazon. However, the VHS seems to be available for a mere $7. (Granted, it means you don't get the animated reconstructions of the missing Parts 1 & 4. But the remaining 6 episodes still carry it through.)

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
DWF wrote: View Post
And you have to wonder how the Countess had no knowledge that she was married to an alien, even the actors were a little taken aback by that one. Douglas Adams' rewrite of the story was a hasty one to be sure.
Apparently, the Count's human disguise was "fully functional"!!
Perhaps the Countess believed that she was serving as the Count's beard to hide his homosexual tendencies?

Last story I watched was "Revenge of the Cybermen." It's unremarkable but sturdy.

Personally, my favorite part of the DVD is "Cheques, Lies, & Videotape," the documentary about the history of Doctor Who video tapes back in the 1980s. I wasn't a fan of Doctor Who in those days but I certainly remember that kind of sensation, that anxious anticipation, of not being able to watch whatever I wanted whenever I wanted and needing to watch specific stuff at specific times. (Kids today are so damn spoiled!)
Old March 28 2015, 06:24 AM   #1477
Volpone
Rear Admiral

It's such a shame so little of Troughton's era is missing--arguably a crime. Then on top of that, Retro skips some serials for no clear reason. So I had to content myself with: Dominators, Krotons, and Mind Robber.

Working on State of Decay right now. Not bad. That said, the awesomeness of the Tom Yardley Jones TARDIS over the Barry Newberry is more than offset by the crappiness of the plum abomination costume they stuck Baker in. I found myself mentally putting him into the Sarah Jane/Leela era brown coat, plaid waistcoat, wing collar, and tie and it is so much better than what they've got him in.

It is a bit like the Raiders of the Lost Ark Indy costume, compared to the later movies (only moreso)--the little details make the difference.
Volpone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2015, 12:38 PM   #1478
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
Have you seen "The Invasion" yet? It's an 8-parter and it's probably my favorite Doctor Who story ever. The DVD is out of print so it's selling for a ridiculous $200 on Amazon. However, the VHS seems to be available for a mere $7. (Granted, it means you don't get the animated reconstructions of the missing Parts 1 & 4. But the remaining 6 episodes still carry it through.)
Thanks for the tip!
Old March 28 2015, 01:01 PM   #1479
DWF
Vice Admiral

Volpone wrote: View Post
It's such a shame so little of Troughton's era is missing--arguably a crime. Then on top of that, Retro skips some serials for no clear reason. So I had to content myself with: Dominators, Krotons, and Mind Robber.

Working on State of Decay right now. Not bad. That said, the awesomeness of the Tom Yardley Jones TARDIS over the Barry Newberry is more than offset by the crappiness of the plum abomination costume they stuck Baker in. I found myself mentally putting him into the Sarah Jane/Leela era brown coat, plaid waistcoat, wing collar, and tie and it is so much better than what they've got him in.

It is a bit like the Raiders of the Lost Ark Indy costume, compared to the later movies (only moreso)--the little details make the difference.
You mean it's a shame so much of the Troughton era is gone. State Of Decay is a rewriting of the original season 15 opener The Vampire Mutation, it more or less works.

As for Tom Baker's outfit, JNT merely wanted a more uniform look for him overall it I think it was a good decision. The season overall is much better than the 17th season disaster.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28 2015, 05:33 PM   #1480
Volpone
Rear Admiral

Beggars can't be choosers. I'm ecstatically grateful that RetroTV has decided to rerun classic Who. That said, along with the actual incomplete stories, they just randomly miss a serial for no apparent reason. I just realized that they skipped from "The Leisure Hive" to "Full Circle", bypassing Meglos. No cactus Doctor for you, RetroTV viewers!
Old March 30 2015, 01:58 PM   #1481
Doctorwhovian
Captain

Saw the animated Scream of The Shalka, although I'm not 100% sure that counts as 'classic' Who. Like the TV movie, it seems like a bit of transition between old and new (and indeed Paul Cornell would write for the new series) although it's of course been 'wiped' by the new series (although you can place it as I suppose, an Unbound, a paradox, alternate universe whatever). Especially the companion with a worried boyfriend (Who's a Doctor himself, a bit like Rory) as well as the general attitude of the Doctor himself, who apparentally has had a recent tragedy (not the time war but possibly something involving the death of a former companion).

Apart from Cornell, Richard E. Grant, Sophie Okendo and Derek Jacobi (In the same role-sort of) would all have roles in the new series. Also I found it amusing that the slug monster sounds almost exactly like a Star Wars TIE fighter.
Doctorwhovian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2015, 03:46 PM   #1482
Captain Dago
Fleet Captain

^ It is an interesting look at an "alternate universe" Doctor, isn't it? I think Grant made an intriguing Doctor and I'm sorry he was limited to the one opportunity.

Captain Dago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31 2015, 05:46 AM   #1483
Volpone
Rear Admiral

OK. Done with "State of Decay." Now that I've seen the whole thing, I've got to say it shows that Baker could still shine with good material even in the later era. It isn't a surprise that Terrance Dicks is behind the story (I don't remember how much of his original story made it into the finished product). And it really feels like a Hinchcliff era Baker story. Nice.

(I did get a "Rocky Horror Picture Show" vibe off the vampires once or twice, but it's hard to pull off vampires without feeling a bit campy.)
Old Today, 03:39 AM   #1484
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

Volpone wrote: View Post
Beggars can't be choosers. I'm ecstatically grateful that RetroTV has decided to rerun classic Who. That said, along with the actual incomplete stories, they just randomly miss a serial for no apparent reason. I just realized that they skipped from "The Leisure Hive" to "Full Circle", bypassing Meglos. No cactus Doctor for you, RetroTV viewers!
I'm still not quite sure why they do that. I totally understand skipping over the incomplete stories. But it seemed that they jumped over quite a bit of stuff during the transition from Hartnell to Pertwee, with precious little Troughton included at all. IIRC, the Saturday episodes went straight from "The War Machines" to "The Dominators"/"The Mind Robber," then skipped all the way ahead to "The Silurians." This meant that "The Tomb of the Cybermen," "The Enemy of the World," "The Seeds of Death," "The War Games," & "Spearhead from Space" never even got a look in. (I don't recall them showing "The Krotons" either but I could be wrong about that.) I wasn't totally surprised that they skipped over "The Enemy of the World," since I think that one might have some tricky rights issues going on thanks to it being a new rediscovery. But what about everything else?

Saw the animated Scream of The Shalka, although I'm not 100% sure that counts as 'classic' Who. Like the TV movie, it seems like a bit of transition between old and new (and indeed Paul Cornell would write for the new series) although it's of course been 'wiped' by the new series (although you can place it as I suppose, an Unbound, a paradox, alternate universe whatever).
I'm just not sure why they didn't get McGann to do "Scream of the Shalka." It certainly would have helped it enormously in terms of its canonicity.
Old Today, 06:32 AM   #1485
Volpone
Rear Admiral

They did show the Krotons. I actually caught that one on the weeknights and on Saturdays. Yeah. It is vexating. They skipped "Pyramids of Mars" which is possibly my favorite story. That was the first one I noticed them skipping that they clearly should have shown. At first I thought it was some kind of political correctness issue, what with the Egyptian servant being somehow racist or something, but (thankfully) they showed "The Talons of Weng Chiang" which is excellent but far more offensive racially than "Pyramids". And why "Meglos"? Are cactuses offended by a non-cactus like Baker portraying a cactus? *shrug*

Wrapped up "Warriors' Gate" tonight. So Monday should be "Logopolis" and we'll be into Peter Davison for the first time (for me) since the mid 1980s.

When they started showing Who in August, I was working nights, so I've been having to do the Saturday marathons to play catch-up. Now I'm caught up, but I think I'll stick around for episodes I may have missed and to rewatch the excellent early 4th Doctor stories. But after around "Horror of Fang Rock" I think I'll drop Saturdays for at least a bit.

Speaking of which, on a similar note, what's the deal with MST3K!? There's almost a decade of episodes of that but retro seems like they've got maybe 20 episodes--a couple from each season. This Saturday they'll be starting the third time through their rotation. And no "The Day the Earth Froze." I know they can't show a lot of the Toho and other Japanese monster ones anymore, but what about all the others?