PROMETHEUS - Grade and Discuss

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Roshi, May 30, 2012.

?

Prometheus - Poll

Poll closed May 30, 2013.
  1. A +

6.9%
  2. A

11.6%
  3. A -

13.8%
  4. B +

18.5%
  5. B

14.2%
  6. B -

9.1%
  7. C +

8.2%
  8. C

3.4%
  9. C -

6.5%
  10. D

5.2%
  11. F

2.6%
  1. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

A full list of the THIRTY-FOUR MINUTES of deleted scenes from Prometheus has made it online! Clearly there won't be a Director's Cut (at least not this first go-around - maybe after Paradise is released), but the titles alone (in film order) demand fans' attention:

"Arrival of the Engineers" (Extended Opening, 2:31)
    "T'is The Season" (0:58)
    "Our first Alien" (0:42)
    "Skin" (0:42)
    "We're Not Alone Anymore" (01:22)
    "Strange Bedfellows" (2:57)
    "Holloway's Hangover" (1:25)
    "David's Objective" (0:23)
    "Janek Fills Vickers In" (03:27)
    "A King Has His Reign..." (Extended scene, 3:40)
    "Fifield Attacks" (Alternate scene with half-Xeno Fifield, 2:01)
    "The Engineer Speaks" (Extended scene, 04:01)
    "The Final Battle" (Extended scene, 5:30)
    "Paradise" (?!?!?, 5:05)

As well as a FOURTH viral video:

"Prometheus Transmission" (06:44)

2. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Maybe they'll allow you to watch the film with or without the deleted scenes.

3. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think the visual effects for these scenes are finalized.

4. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

"Janek Fills Vickers In" ... their sex-scene? ;)

5. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

What would be the bow-chicka-wow-wow tune made by an accordion?

6. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

This sounds really cool; can't wait to own the film on DVD.

7. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

I'd say Blu Ray, but I agree :)

8. JarodRussell

Unfortunately, extended scenes won't change that the characters act terribly stupid and have terrible motivations. The only character that didn't behave like an idiot and who actually knew what he was doing was Janek. Unfortunately, he became an idiot again when it came to prevent the Space Croissant from flying to Earth.

9. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

The beauty of it all is: you don't have to watch the film again.

10. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Its true. I will enjoy not spending my money on the blu ray.

11. AvBaur

AvBaur Captain Captain

I finally got around to seeing 'Prometheus' tonight. (It hasn't been out in Germany for very long.)

Well... let's start with what works: Visually, this movie is amazing. The production design, the visual effects, and the cinematography are completely stunning and unlike anything I've seen before, and the sets and landscapes are often literally breathtaking. Technically, 'Prometheus' is a marvel. And the cast isn't too bad, either - Michael Fassbender in particular is very convincing as a morally ambiguous android.

It's just a crying shame that all this technical excellence and these good actors work in service of such a terrible screenplay. It's not even that it lacks fascinating ideas or doesn't ask interesting questions, but that it just doesn't put any of its (too) many ideas to good use or provide compelling answers to its questions. But that wasn't even my biggest problem. I probably could have done without the answers if the characters had worked for me at all. However, almost nothing they did seemed even remotely like something real scientists (or real human beings, for that matter) would do, none of their reactions seemed genuine and believable. It's telling when the emotionless robot is the only compelling character in the movie...

All in all, I'd say this was one of the most frustrating experiences I've ever had with a movie. On the one hand, I was constantly marvelling at the technical achievements and the dense, creepy atmosphere, and on the other hand, I was extremely annoyed and utterly frustrated by the characters and the half-baked ideas and story developments. Still, while I think the movie is ultimately a failure, it's certainly a very interesting failure and I don't regret having seen it.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  12. JarodRussell

Got Alien and Aliens on glorious blu ray. Amazing films. And it's funny how many influences of both films (not only in the story) can be seen in Prometheus, and yet Prometheus doesn't really seem to fit in there.

It the basic late prequel problem perhaps. Prometheus, for example, looks a lot more high tech than Nostromo or Sulaco, yet these are supposed to be almost a century after it. And then there's issues like the size of the Space Jockey (it's MUCH larger in Alien) or that the thing is "fossilized".

Unless they come up with something smart, I don't see how these films could ever be really connected.

Compared to Alien, Prometheus feels much faster, clearer, cleaner, by the numbers. It's a lot less scary and has less impact than Alien because of that.

13. NrobbieC

NrobbieC Commander Red Shirt

Overall Prometheus was a good film.
    Yes, the actors (apart from Fassbender) varied from wooden to awful and the script was dire. But it's very impressive visually, and Michael Fassbender was epic.
    A sequel still has potential.

14. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

^^^ Agreed. I'm looking forward to its release.

15. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7cwWoK0gz4&feature=related[/yt]

16. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    So I watched this again on blu-ray. Still didn't make any more sense.

17. ichab

ichab Commodore Commodore

To each his own. I loved it in the theaters and enjoyed it again on Blu-Ray.

18. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The opening sequence lost me. You know, the one where some guy with too much electrolysis walks around in a robe and loin cloth. Whose DNA turns out to look like a ladder, although space-filling models and their two-dimensional images show rather clearly that DNA is not really ladder shaped.

I still hung on but when the archaeologist used her miniaturized instant archaeological ruins dater to announce within minutes that the cave was over 35 000 yrs old, my willing suspension of disbelief wasn't just a horse put down for a broken leg, it was a pot of glue. Maybe I missed something but it was completely unwatchable for in-your-face idiocy.

19. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Your suspension of disbelief doesn't sound very willing. I'd stick with documentaries if I were you. There were much more distressing things about Prometheus.

20. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

If you go into the mindset of hating this movie, you're going to hate it. All the arguing in the world can't convince somebody to like something they're intent on hating. I mean, nitpicking picking effects in the first minutes... whatever.

My Blu-ray came in the mail yesterday. Amazon had a great deal on Cyber Monday. I got the 3D version in anticipation of getting a 3DTV this coming summer. There are over 4 hours of extras on the special features disk. They're mostly great. There are a couple of vignettes that I found useless, but I still set down and watched everything in one sweep.

The deleted scenes are interesting. They're actually finished shots that were trimmed from the movie. No animatics or grainy video.

I'm watching the movie right now. I plan on listening to the commentaries and then using the second screen app later. This release is jam-packed with stuff, which I really love.

I think I gave the movie a B+ equivalent when I saw it in theaters because of some of the stuff I really didn't understand, but except for the idiot scientist who started poking at the alien snake, the movie makes more sense to me now.

The picture and audio on the Blu-ray are great. Highly recommended from me.