Starship Size Argument™ thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by WarpFactorZ, May 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Couldn't remember the exact quote and was too lazy to look it up! :p

2. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    It's all good, the other quote is from Tron Legacy. ;)

3. martok2112

martok2112 Commodore Commodore

Tron Legacy! Loved that movie! Eagerly awaiting a third movie! :)

4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

We won:beer:

(until ST3, when the cycle begins anew...)

5. Nebusj

Nebusj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Can … can I start an argument about the size of the starship size argument thread?

6. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

"Star Trek: Prelude to Axanar" uses these Kelvin-based ships, resized and redone with TOS style warp nacelles.

7. F. King Daniel

It's 725Mb, not a byte less!!!!:klingon:
    I must admit, that annoyed me a little bit - but it's their fanfic, they can do whatever they want.
    Here's my post about it from the Axanar thread:

8. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

I am glad they used JJ-ships though. But I do wish they kept the nacelle designs and the size.

Five smaller Klingon cruisers ambushing a lumbering Federation battleship? Fuck yeah.

9. Ithekro

It would make for an interesting tech discussion if the older, giant, starships were massively inferior to the later, smaller Constitution-class ships. And that their warp drives were either slower, inefficient, or just plain different from what we got later on.

The size might also give a clue of why Starfleet was able to hold on for a few years with inferior technology (compared to the Klingons). Just because there were so large and armored, it took several Klingon ships to take one down before it retreated, otherwise it could just get away from a single Klingon cruiser, just didn't have the firepower to do anything about the Klingon without a lot of effort (massively inferior weapons, more so that on Enterprise due to improvements in Klingon shielding).

10. AirCommodore

AirCommodore Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Well in Enterprise they decided to show the Vulcans having ships between 300-600 meters in length. These are clearly inferior to the much later Constitution class. We don't have to assume the ships of the early Federation were tiny. Some might have been significantly larger than some later ones.

Later ships could be more automated, or have far more advanced computers that are much smaller but far more powerful. Bulkier doesn't necessarily imply more advanced.

11. Kruezerman

I was thinking more along the lines of a difference of tactics. The Federation liked their large, powerful battleships whereas the Klingons liked smaller, more agile raiding ships. If you look at all Klingon ships through the years, their weapons are focused at the bow and are very maneuverable, combine that with the cloaking device and their preference to hunt in packs and you have the North Atlantic in WWI and II all over again.

If Germany could bring Britain to her knees just because the British considered submarines "dishonorable," one can only imagine what the Klingons could do to the Federation.

12. F. King Daniel

It makes me wonder how big those Klingon Warbirds seen during the KM test were. I'd guess much bigger than the Prime 'verse's D7 Battlecruisers... although the USS Kobayashi Maru didn't seem to have quite the standard Kelvin kitbash parts (and was based on Roger Sorwnsen's 283m long 1973 fan design)

13. Lord Garth FOI

Lord Garth FOI Commander Red Shirt

It irritated the living shit out of me that they called them warbirds when I saw it in the theater
    Know it shouldn't have but it did and I got laid that night too
    I have issues

14. F. King Daniel

^Start worrying when you put off getting laid so you can spend the night raging about it online instead.

Even the most hardcore superfans use the wrong name, sometimes. It cropped up in the unreleased Phase II fan-film "Origins" (working title? "Eleven Sucks"), during their "done right" version of the Kobayashi Maru test:
    [YT]www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnhwyaOjAMU[/YT]

Since "Klingon Warbird" has cropped up in ENT and ST'09, it's begun popping up in novels too where it's described as a bigger and more heavily armed version of a Battlecruiser.

15. Gonzo

Gonzo Guest

In original timeline

The Klingons used Birds of Prey and various Battlecruiser designs through TOS, TNG and DS9/VOY.
    The Romulans used Warbirds in TNG and onwards, they originally used Birds of Prey (not very advanced) and then later Romulan versions of the Klingon D7 battle cruisers during TOS.

Of course with a reset that could easily all be different, with the Enterprise being so much bigger now it is not surprising they have up scaled the Klingon ships into perhaps larger Warbird versions.

If this is so it would be interesting to see what the writers come up with in regards to Romulan ships in this timeline, in TOS the Romulan Birds of Prey were pretty small and not that technologically advanced (only nuclear weaponry but did have cloak) only really achieving parity with the Federation with the introduction of the Romulan Battlecruisers towards the end of TOS.

Then we jumped to TNG and we got the Romulan Warbirds which were twice the size of the TNG Enterprise and packed a real punch, I have always wondered about how that came about. I know sometime during or prior to TOS the Romulans and Klingons collaborated on ship design and shared technologies. Which is where the Romulan Battlecruisers came from, they essentialy copied the Klingons D7 Battlecruiser.

Would like to see Romulans and their warships in the next film to compare, perhaps in this timeline the two powers did not share technologies like in the original timeline as Nero's incursion and the Klingons fleet losses interfered with it.

16. Kruezerman

With that kinda acting and characterization, they shouldn't talk.

17. Ithekro

The novel "Kobayashi Maru" from the 80's has the Klingons using cruisers designated 'war dragons' during Mr. Scott's test.

18. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

That writer was either lazy or knew nothing of Star Trek!!! :lol:

19. Kruezerman

War dragons sounds so badass...

20. Ithekro

I was under the impression that the "war dragon" was an older Klingon cruiser, as Scott's test was several years before Kirk, Sulu, or Chekov's tests also written about in the same book. Only during Scott's test are they called war dragons.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.