Lets talk summer!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Gotham Central, Apr 20, 2014.

1. Gotham Central

Gotham Central Vice Admiral Admiral

Ok, for those of us in the Northern Hemisphere, winter is finally over (though for us Chicagoans and folks in North Central north America, we have to maintain vigilance until probably June :scream: ).

That said, summer is finally on the horizon, so lets be hopeful...what are you looking forward to :cool:

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I LOVE SUMMER.

And it's almost over.. well it really IS over but we have had some great warm beachy days this autumn.

I LOVE SUMMER.

My favorite weather is HOT and raining. Like really hot. We don't get that much, it's usually hot and dry and when we do get hot and raining I'm reveling in it. Still, I love everything about summer..

More readily available tropical fruit, I can still buy it in the winter but it costs more. I like to eat a mango every day.

THE BEACH. Everything about any beach everywhere. Just being on it, the heat, the sand, the salt, the delicious tasting hot dog from the trapped in time beach hut. Getting off the tram and THERE'S THE BEACH!! Right there, omg, so happy!!!!

The days go on late! 8pm and it's still light, walk home in the dark and it's still warm WONDERFUL.

Feeling the heat through my shoes from the asphalt.

Very cold beer in frosted glasses.

Extreme heat (110f+) weirdly transcendent. Everything else feels totally okay after that, for the rest of the season. 100 degrees? That's nothing, I adjusted to 112. This amuses me.

XMAS!!! Yeah we have summer Xmas beers and many many salads and BBQ's and it's all outside. Fantastic.

Everything is better in the summer, absolutely everything. I feel like it's easy to enjoy each and every day, each and every moment, because I'm basically high on summer. I like it better every year. I totally get why old people move to Florida or Queensland or Spain, why bother with those other useless seasons when you can have the BEST season forever and ever?

3. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Just made some plans to go to up to Milwaukee over 4th of July weekend. I never really do anything during the summertime because I work too much (and I tend to cover shifts for people who DO do things in the summer). This year I am determined to have more fun.

4. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have a lot of baseball trips set for this summer (eight ballparks left to go before I'm complete!) and so I'm very excited about those.

5. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Summer shows up here in Arizona in May, when we'll start hitting 100+F every day. It lasts well into October. I'm looking forward to staying indoors as much as possible since I have to walk everywhere, and hoping the apartment complex's cooling system doesn't fail again this year. Two years ago, it was out for 2 weeks while we were in a 110F+ heatwave and it nearly killed me. There are no individually controlled a/c units in the apartments themselves.

6. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, summer! I am looking forward to it. Though it feels like we never even had winter this year, I think it rained a total of three days and there was never a downpour, so I do worry about wildfires. And of course the terrible drought.

But to stay positive, I am really looking forward to having my windows open at all hours, being able to take a walk in the morning or evening without freezing my ass off, and generally feeling comfortable in my own skin. During the cold seasons I just feel uncomfortable and tense, I can never get warm enough. So summer is the time that I can walk out of my house and feel happiness instead of dread. I don't think I could survive in places where it snows.

I'm also looking forward to going camping!

7. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Speak for yourself!

8. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was in Phoenix last summer for an AZ Diamondbacks game, and it was 99. I was so lucky. If it had been 110-120, I would have probably passed out from the heat (even though all I ever did in Phoenix was go to the game, which was indoors anyway).

I had a Fatburger at that game, BTW. Best burger I've ever had at a game. :drool:

9. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr0tTbTbmVA[/yt]

10. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

It's been a rough Winter, even for us here. However, I will miss the cooler weather. I don't know what I'm going to do this Summer. Usually, I come up to NY.

11. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

Ugh, summer. I'm already sick and stuck in bed. I miss the snow.

12. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

Love that song and the full version of "Summer Madness" Kool and the Gang.

13. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

14. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Summer, what's that? :p

The long range forecast for the UK is for a heatwave, I'll believe that when I see it. In the meantime I'll expect rain and that way I won't be dissapointed. ;)

15. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

I hear that.

I'm still waiting for the lake to clear out of ice so I can get the boat in the water. It's almost all gone, now, but it's those little nuisance chunks of ice that just sit below the waterline that wrecks havoc on props.

16. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIOIr8oXUfs[/yt]

17. AliciaD496

AliciaD496 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Meh...never really liked summer. Considering I'm a pasty faced Irish-English descendent it means I become a lobster, get some freckles and go back to pale. Luckily in Seattle over exposure to the sun isn't too much of a problem. I don't particularly like extremely warm temperatures here though, mostly because no one has air-conditioning so it's uncomfortable if it hits 80s and unbearable once it gets in the 90s. Hopefully there's only a few days of that.

Honestly Seattle and the PNW never got a 'real' winter either. We had the wettest March on record but never saw more than overnight snow that melted by the next morning. Never got overly cold. Luckily the snow did come to the mountains with all that rain the last couple of months so I don't think wildfires will be a problem this year as long as it doesn't melt too early.

As for my summer plans....walking graduation in June with my BS in Biology from UW Bothell and finishing with Organic Chemistry III by August when I'll be 'officially' graduating. Retaking the MCAT in July and filing Med school applications as soon as I'm done with that class. Here's hoping this round goes better than last year's 3/3 rejections.

No real vacations on tap, had my 'vacation' or the year back in March when my family went to Kona, Hawaii. Might visit my parents a few times in Wenatchee just to break the monotony of Seattle.

18. Velocity

Velocity Vice Admiral Admiral

Still not warm enough to hit the beach, but it won't be long!

19. Taylirious

Taylirious Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

20. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

I'm planning on getting a lounge chair for the balcony, and relay all day during the summer break (all three weeks) while the missus is at work.

I need it.