What continuity errors are there on Voyager?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Luther Sloan, Apr 27, 2010.

1. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Gee, that's a little harsh isn't it? And it wasn't a suggestion, it was a guess (if you go back and read my post, I did call it a guess).

The Doctor would be counted by the Captain and others as part of the ship's compliment, but of course would not appear on sensors as a lifeform.

When the Enterprise Dee first encountered the Borg, there were no lifesigns, went Riker and others beamed aboard all the Borg were in their alcoves. When Seven is regenerating in her alcove, she likely doesn't appear as a lifeform.

(but that a guess)

:)

2. You_Will_Fail

You_Will_Fail Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

None of this would explain the changes that I mentioned. When Voyager is carrying people we know and in most instances when the number of crew is mentioned - it is by one of the crew except in "Dark Frontier" and "Distant Origin" and somehow I doubt Voth and Borg sensors are inaccurate!

3. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

Honestly, 5 out of the 7 eps. you mentioned are really good, so I never paid enough attention to small details like that. I didn't see how knowing the crew compliment directly affected the show or story.

4. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

^well it might not effect the story(episode), but for the show as a whole it might be considered by some not caring about the small details.

Yes sometimes for the sake of dramatic purposes, things are overlooked. But if we want to discuss crew for a moment. Each and every loss has an impact on characters. A particular skill set might be lost, a friend/lover is gone etc... You have to work extra to cover shifts that they did etc.. Thefre is a whole range of things that could have been explored with diminishing crew numbers

5. You_Will_Fail

It wouldn't affect the quality of the particular episodes, but it affects my opinion of the show as a whole. Voyager was less than the sum of its parts for things like this.

6. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

They should have kept the crew number vague so that they wouldn't have problems like that.

7. exodus

That's my point, if it is a small detail why should it matter?
    If the over all story is good, what difference does it make how many are on the ship? How far do we have to go before a nitpick becomes anal?

I'd agree if most of the crew deaths didn't happen in reset episodes. The crew that did die, like Hogan, Durst, Suder, Carey, etc all had "moments" of emotional reflection or reaction to their deaths. Voyager's losses in crew were minimal if you don't count resets and alternate time lines where most of the deaths happened.

8. You_Will_Fail

Well that would have been one way...one incredibly lazy way.

9. exodus

So not mentioning any crew compliment is lazy and having one that fluctuates is also lazy.:wtf:

Sounds like a no win situation.

10. You_Will_Fail

[​IMG]

In what universe are they the only two options? Can you honestly not see the very obvious third option?

11. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Yeah, not kill anyone at all because early on they made a big deal about how they needed everyone meaning if they DID kill anyone the show would be over.

12. You_Will_Fail

13. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

NuBSG only got away with their "Survivor Counter" because 99% of the people in the fleet were nameless faceless extras whose deaths wouldn't affect the plot. They could kill them willy-nilly to keep up the Cylon threat because they were unimportant.

In VOY they made a big deal over how they needed everyone in the crew (to justify not just dropping the Maquis off on some world), meaning if they DID keep a "Crew Counter" and started killing people the show would be screwed up because they were violating their "We need everyone" plot point and there would be no way to get any replacements from anywhere since no aliens encountered would want to leave their homes for VOY's perilous solitary journey.

14. You_Will_Fail

Do you read what you write before you post?
    Crewmen already died on Voyager, the show didn't try and hide that from us. So how would keeping track of how many crew were board have made a difference in the way you're talking about from what we already saw?

Basically they needed to start out with a clear number of crew and keep track of how many people remained and who died. A tiny corner on a whiteboard in the writers room would have been enough but somehow I get the impression that sessions in the Voyager writer's room wasn't exactly an orgy of flowing creativity and co-operation..

15. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

They started with a good number. then a mysterious number died, then they got an equally mysterious number of Maquis prison labour conscripts to bolster their numbers, most of who shouldn't have been able to do much more than swab the decks if they were all really just displaced farmers.

But we all know this, it was probably mentioned 2 pages ago.

16. exodus

No, I don't because I find this a nickpick rather than a real issue.
    I really don't feel the adverage person is sitting down week after week keeping track of this. I honestly don't know anybody personal who did. Nothing you've said has has covinced me as a fan that this issue is an idea to support. I need something more solid than: "If I have an issue with it, you should too."

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  17. You_Will_Fail

This thread is about continuity errors - ALL continuity errors. Whether you find it a "nitpick" or not is irrelevant. This is the place to post continuity errors found in Voyager and what we would like to have been done to rectify them.
    There's no reason to be so antagonistic or play dumb with ridiculous comments like "So not mentioning any crew compliment is lazy and having one that fluctuates is also lazy. Sounds like a no win situation." You don't need to be a genius to see how stupid that comment was.

18. exodus

Is there actually something of value you'd like to add because nothing in this thread has anything to do with your personal opinions of other posters.

19. You_Will_Fail

You're exhausting. If someone said the sky was blue, you'd argue otherwise until the end of time. Please just ignore me in future and don't quote or respond to me.

20. zar

zar Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Federation/Klingon/Romulan area of space is at the border of the Alpha and Beta quadrants, and there has never been any indication that Klingons are "everywhere" beyond this area. On what basis did you assume that Bajor is as far from Kronos as Voyager's trek?