(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's an amazingly double-edged sword though isn't it?

LoG came in, wiped out some of the debt, got us promoted, wiped out even more of the debt, then a farcical league campaign in the PL, a change of ownership, a change of manager, mediocre players signed long-term on extortionate wages, and then relegation.

Great to have the massive debt reduction and a Wembley win - not so great to get 11 points, and a $h1t squad of players! :lol:

I genuinely think that we're still feeling the effects of the disastrous PL campaign. I think any and all remnants of that era need removing from the squad, and then perhaps we can all finally move on.

2. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Well I think Bywater and Leacock will be gone as soon as anyone is daft enough to take them (which is a trifle unfair on Leacock) and maybe Pearson too. Is there anyone else left?

3. Angel4576

Varney - get rid.

£12k per week and we'll never play him again.

4. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Oh yeah, forgot about him!! Yeah, hopefully someone will take him off our hands--guess we could do with offloading Croft as well (though he is most assuredly a Cloughie failure!)

5. Angel4576

Croft and Dave Martin, if we're still intent on NOT playing with wingers.

Croft did alright in the reserves after he'd come back from loan. Lost a bit of weight and got his confidence back.

6. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Always worrying when you send a player on loan to the division below and even they don't play him though! Shame was when we signed him it seemed a really good deal!

It'd be nice to have the option of a winger on the bench if plan a isn't working!

7. Angel4576

^^ See that Liam Dickinson's been released by Barnsley - fooking waste of £1m! :rolleyes:

8. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yeah and how man Rams fans bemoaned him not getting a chance? He didn't get a chance cos he was shit!

9. Angel4576

One of many pointless signings around that time.

10. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

So, Shearer possibly the new Cardiff manager? Wonder what HappyDayRiot makes of that!

11. Angel4576

BBC

Apparently not.

12. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yeah so I see, weird cos I didn't think he had that much interesting in managing after the whole Newcastle thang. Cardiff would be better off with Hughton, in fact everyone on their hit list would be a good choice.

13. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

Bullet dodged and no mistake. I would probably have gone straight down the ticket office and cancelled my ST for next season if he'd been allowed in. I mean, Shearer!?

14. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I mean he's showed almost zero interest in management before now aside from the Newcastle debacle! If he was that interested he should have been off getting coaching badges etc at least. Narrow escape, whoever you end up with (hopefully not Billy!)

15. Angel4576

Apparently Cardiff have approached Watford for permission to speak to Malky.

16. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

And been turned down last I heard?

17. Angel4576

All depends on whether Malky wants to talk to them I think. If he does, then I can't see Watford hanging on to him, contract or not.

18. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

True, does make it harder though. Realistically Cardiff is potentially a better job than Watford, especially given the restrictions Watford are having to operate under.

19. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

Watford are probably holding out for a good compensation payment if anything.

20. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

ENG U21's did everything but score and now must beat Czech Republic to get to the last 4. Pearce is not doing his CV anygood though, 88th minute to bring a 3rd sub on and he brings on a holding player when ENG were all over Ukraine :rolleyes:

Machinene needs to be dropped as does Henderson, Lansbury looks so lively when he plays and any of other wingers are better than Danny Rose. The entire defence looks very very good though and Bertrand is a way better player than Gibbs plus far less injury prone. Walker is already better than Johnson though behind Micah Richards and Jones/Smalling look like seasoned pros.

Pity Frankie Fielding plays for Derby :lol: