Should I bother with Voyager and Enterprise?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by sensi277, Dec 31, 2014.

1. TheSubCommander

TheSubCommander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, really just netflix a couple episodes of both shows and decide for yourself if you like it enough to continue.

Personally, I like ALL the series, and they all have their highs and lows. Form your own opinion on them.

2. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have exactly the opposite reaction to those characters.

3. The Overlord

The Overlord Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I would only watch the last two seasons of Enterprise. I think the problem with Voyager is, it has moments of brilliance that are in a sea of mediocrity, I would look online to find what the best episodes are and only watch those, you are not missing much if you skip Threshold, I don't see the point of watching the whole series, start to finish, it has no ongoing story and a lot of episodes are painfully dull.

4. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

My main caution to the OP would be that the most common complaint about VGR and ENT is that they were trying too hard to be "TNG lite". Thus, if you were finding TNG boring, you might not appreciate seeing the same stories retold for the second and third times.

OTOH, if DS9 is more your cup of tea, and you haven't already watched the Ron Moore-produced remake of Battlestar Galactica, I highly recommend it.

5. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wouldn't recommend it. Watching a bad show just because it has Star Trek in the title is a waste of time when there's so many other better shows to watch. Instead of Voyager or Enterprise go watch Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica, or Farscape.

Voyager is little more than rejected TNG scripts with a new (cheaper) cast in a new quadrant of space. That's not to say that Voyager doesn't have some great episodes here and there, but it's not worth sitting through the crap to get to them.

Enterprise might be worth checking out. This show, unlike Voyager, does attempt to do something different. For that it gets props, but unfortunately the execution is a complete disaster. But still, it's different so maybe check out a few episodes. You might like it.

6. Gotham Central

Gotham Central Vice Admiral Admiral

Honestly, you can save yourself a lot of time by limiting your viewing of Voyager to 6 hours. You only need to watch Caretaker, Scorpion and Endgame. You literally can skip everything else. Those 6 hours sum of Voyager in total. The abandons its premise by the end of the pilot and was fully TNG by the next episode. Voyager is the sort of series where nothing really matters and episodes can be watched in any order since there is no continuity. The only reason I included Scorpion in the mix is to explain the obvious cast change mid run. Everything else remains exactly the same.

While I will never be a fan Enterprise, I can say that between it and Voyager, it was probably the more worthwhile TV experience. As another posted stated, the execution was a mess and the first two seasons were truly lazy (with season 2 being abysmal). That said, because the show's rating fell off a cliff, the producers actually allowed the show to start taking chances with the storytelling. I actually don't think that season 3 was really very good and was full of massive logic flaws, but i was different to anything that Trek had tried up to that point. Season 4 is justifiably a fan favorite because it is the first time that they get serious about the show being a prequel to TOS and start building to something.

All that to say, you can skip most of Voyager but I suggest giving Enterprise a chance.

7. JeffinOakland

JeffinOakland Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They're both a big step down from DS9 but are enjoyable in their own rights. Try rewatching TNG from the beginning. You'll slog through some bad episodes but I think you'll enjoy the characters more if you meet them at the beginning.

8. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Gotta disagree. Those six episodes may encapsulate the Big Picture, but they're hardly the most entertaining eps. I have my issues with Voyager, but the show had its fair share of fun, memorable episodes, such as "Bride of Chaotica," "Future's End," "Relativity," "Someone to Watch Over Me," "One Small Step," etc.

9. nonbelligerency

nonbelligerency Lieutenant Red Shirt

I can understand the nostalgia aspect. Mind started with TNG (and TOS) so TNG is what I prefer. I also liked DS9.

Voyager? IMO 5/10. Enterprise? I've seen like two episodes, so I wouldn't bother.

Just bask in the amazingness of TOS, TNG and DS9. The last two weren't that great.

-Tom

10. nonbelligerency

nonbelligerency Lieutenant Red Shirt

7 was physically attractive (obviously) - but her character was boring, and the doctor was annoying. (IMHO)

11. Greg Cox

To each their own, I suppose. I thought they were the two most lively characters on the show. They had a lot more personality and attitude than, say, Chakotay or Harry Kim. Beyond her looks, Seven had a very dry sense of humor and a bit of an edge to her, while the EMH stole practically every scene he was in. (I remember literally sighing in relief a few times when he'd suddenly show up to bring an otherwise sluggish scene to life.)

12. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

I love Voyager, and I agree that Seven and the Doctor are two of the best characters. I'd recommend any Trek fan to watch Voyager and judge for yourself.

13. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Her looks were only a small part of what I enjoyed about Seven. Her wit, sense of humor, and abrasiveness, as Greg said, were important elements of her character, as was her quest to be human.

And Picardo made the EMH.

14. Greg Cox

"Abrasiveness" is the perfect word. Wish I'd thought of it! :)

And, yeah, it added a welcome degree of spice to the proceedings.

15. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

Yes watch both of them. It's a long Trek but worth it.

16. Trek Survivor

Trek Survivor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yes to Enterprise, no to Voyager :-)

17. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Honestly, while I acknowledge that Jerri Ryan is pretty, her looks are not to my taste - kind of cartoony, IMHO. She IS a fine actrress, yes, but unfortunately all Voyager let her do was be a boring emotionless robot. And I really don't get the "ice queen" thing that Trek producers seem to get off on. They tried to do the same thing with T'Pol - emotionless beauty in a purile skin-tight catsuit - but JoAnne Baylock turned out to be a better actress than the part she was trapped in, and brought some life to it.

18. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

+1

19. Lowdarzz

Lowdarzz Captain Captain

I'd watch them. In fact I still watch them to this day thanks to the DVD selection at the local library. Both show shave their ups and downs, just like any series but the highs are often better than the lows. Then again, I've always thought a bad hour of Trek is better than most television.

20. Velocity

Velocity Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought the Vulcan episodes were the most interesting episodes of Enterprise. You have to watch the beginning to understand who each of the crew is, but it really gets going when they focus on Vulcan, IMHO. Oh, and who doesn't like the Andorians? Enterprise caught a lot of flak, but there were some very good elements.