sf/f TV development news - 2013

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Temis the Vorta, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Caliburn24

Caliburn24 Commodore Commodore

Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

I don't really who they cast in Defiance.

But...

The other day I was wondering what happened to Rockne O'Bannon after he got done with Farscape. And here is he with a potentially cool new show. Sweet.

2. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Lemmee guess..."San Francisco cocksucker"?

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Defiance is one of the shows mentioned in this thread that I am really interested. Given O'Bannon's involvement, and the cast they've gotten together I'm really looking forward to it. I might try the game, but I'm not sure yet.

5. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

"Son of a b!tch". Christopher basically got it right. :hugegrin:

6. Christopher

I was translating it more literally.

7. Temis the Vorta

Remember that Booster Gold series for SyFy? Still alive.

Ben Browder's the guy for that part...

8. Caliburn24

^I wonder what would happen to Temis if Ben Browder and Joe Flanigan somehow managed to get cast in the same show.:devil:

9. Temis the Vorta

They already did! They were in Stargate: Atlantis together on one memorable occasion. :bolian:

I tried to Google "cameron mitchell john sheppard" to get a screenshot or something but instead...my oh my, do I have a lot of reading to catch up on. :rommie: And what images I found are NSFW.

10. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

To be pedantic, they were actually together on Stargate SG-1, not Stargate: Atlantis. The Episode is called "The Pegasus Project," the third episode from season 10.

11. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

"deathly allergic to citrus"

I love it when they create an aspect to a character and it shows up later on.

"Every mission we go out on, I carry an orange in my pocket for just in case we need to take him down."

Which sounds like how Batman in the 90s Justice League Toon spent years carrying a slither of kryptonite around in a lead lined pocket in his utility belt, for "just in case".

12. Temis the Vorta

SyFy endearing itself to fanboys/girls by treating them like wildebeest on Wild Kingdom.

We already have that "docuseries," it's called the internet. :rommie: From the producer of Jersey Shore no less! Okay geeks, show us your abs!

Just for laffs (and to distract Guy from giving us any more random lectures about citrus), here are the other unscripted series SyFy is threatening to inflict on us:

13. Temis the Vorta

Lots of news from SyFy today (their upfronts are tonight) so I'll make this a separate post. More cheap reality shows picked up, still nothing worth bothering with. Are they going to pick up any scripted series at all???

14. Caliburn24

I shouldn't get upset at SyFy, I know it is a lost cause. But why oh why can't they name it something else, and give us a new channel that actually has science fiction programming.

Truth in labeling. Oh well, at least Science Channel has some interesting science fiction type stuff.

15. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Fox 25th anniversary had a section about their science fiction and they were saying "look how awesome we are!' Without mentioning haw they cancelled all these shows prematurely.

Zombie raping.

16. Temis the Vorta

Are they scripted dramas? I haven't heard about anything from Science but documentaries about science and maybe a few about sci fi.

17. Christopher

Because there aren't enough viewers interested in SF or other niche programming to enable a commercial-supported niche network to be profitable. Many formerly niche cable networks, like Arts & Entertainment or Court TV or The Nashville Network, have lost too many viewers to stay profitable and have had to embrace more generic, inexpensive programming (and often new names and identities) in order to survive. This is industry-wide, because television viewing is declining due to all the competition from the Internet, DVDs, etc. So the only way Syfy can afford to keep making any original SF/fantasy programming at all is to pay the bills by filling the bulk of their schedule with the wrestling and reality shows and cheap movies that bring in a wider audience. Ultimately it's the tastes of the audience (particularly the demographics that the advertisers favor) that determine networks' lineups, not the whims of the executives. And sadly, there's a much bigger audience for wrestling and reality shows than there is for original scripted science fiction, and Syfy has no choice but to shape its schedule accordingly if it wants to stay in business, just like so many other former niche networks before it.

If anything, it's admirable that Syfy still produces any genre programming at all, after so many other niche networks have given up their identities completely.

18. Temis the Vorta

Maybe "real" sci fi is profitable. But cheap reality crap posing as sci fi is even more profitable - same ratings, lower cost.

But I'm not impressed that Syfy is still fitfully attempting to make sci fi, when both AMC and TNT have had big hits with sci fi series (The Walking Dead and Falling Skies respectively). That shows that sci fi doesn't need to be a charity case.

Syfy has just hit on a cheaper, easier way to make a buck. But it could blow up in their face. They're degrading their brand, becoming a joke channel, while AMC continues to foster a quality brand image and TNT isn't doing too bad either. Doing things the cheap way isn't always the smartest strategy, especially when you take the long-term view.

At this point, I'm actually more sanguine about some worthwhile sci fi (of the Earth-based variety) appearing on network TV vs Syfy. NBC is desperate to redefine itself and try to survive. Desperation might make them do interesting things. ABC seems pretty locked into fantasy vs sci fi but I can see a time when FOX will have to return to the sci fi fold, after having been badly burned this season.

19. Temis the Vorta

Syfy picks up rights to supernatural mystery series by True Blood author Charlane Harris.
    A supernatural Justified? :D I wish. Probably will turn out more like Haven.

20. Temis the Vorta

Apparently Syfy read my bitter recriminations about their lack of scripted development and has moved expeditiously to rectify the situation.

And best yet - look! Actual space-based series, will wonders never cease! :rommie: Bryan Fuller is Executive Producer:

And Robert Hewitt Wolfe's series survived! I was getting pretty worried without any news. :(

This is big enough news that I think I'll give it its own thread.