Spider-Man movie (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

^ You, sir, are a sick fuck! :lol:

2. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

3. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

4. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Saw the trailer for this before The Avengers the other day, and the general tone of the theater seemed to be, "Ugh, not another Spiderman movie."

5. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I didn't see much of a reaction in my theater at all. It seemed to be more of a "Huh, there's a new Spider-Man movie coming out. Ok".

6. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

One superhero film has to disappoint per summer. It was Green Lantern last year.
    Seems odd that a really high profile character like Spidey will but hey Superman Returns did so no hero is immune.

7. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Spiderman may be high-profile, but that doesn't mean that people don't want a break from him. I think one of the reasons that Superman Returns didn't do very well is that the mainstream audience is just tired of the character. It's not "Ooh, another Superman movie!" It's "Ugh, another Superman movie?"

8. Captain Craig

^^^
    Man of Steel will for sure test that idea. Especially since it'll only be 7 yrs between films now. Returns had many flaws, the biggest of which(imo), was not updating the character as he had been seen in 2 TV series and 2 cartoons. This goes triple for Luthor.
    They were banking on nostalgia to the universe set up 25yrs ago by Donnor but not realizing that universe was hokey and full of cheese now--especially land grab Luthor.

I'm hoping MoS is that updating, Returns was not and it's one of many reasons I think people rushed in, then WOM killed it.

9. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Keep in mind Superman Returns more-or-less did "okay" at the box-office on its own merit and got mostly positive reviews from professional critics. But in another light it "failed financially" because it wasn't saddled with its own budget but a couple decades worth of abortions in attempt to make another Superman movie. The Tim Burton, black-cape Superman starting Nicolas Cage? Hired and contracted people who had to be payed even thought they weren't used, SR had to pay for that and it didn't.

I think on a critical angle the movie was okay but probably wasn't enough of the Donner movie style that was sort of a campy silver-age way of doing things. The movie was too heavy and wasn't enough fun and too morose. There's a lot of pretty gloomy sequences of Superman looking sad or just blah and not the fun, light-hearted Man of Steel he is. Hell even when he IS saving the day and doing awesome things he looks like he'd rather be at home listening to The Cure.

10. davejames

Ha ha, yeah, I think people could sense that even from the trailers. It's not that people didn't want to see a new Superman movie; it's just that SR's gloomy style and tone just never got people excited from the outset.

Which is something I don't think Snyder will have a problem with at all. No matter what the final product, it's almost certain he's going to come up with a badass trailer that will get people excited.

Unfortunately I think Spider-Man might be facing the same issue as SR, with it's similarly gloomy tone.

11. Admiral James Kirk

Spider-Man's cracking funny in the trailer. He doesn't come off as a particularly dour fellow.

12. Trekker4747

Well a "gloomier" or darker tone might work more with Spider-Man just given that Marvel characters do tend to be a bit more complex.

But Superman is the friggin' prime example of optimism, hope, and inspiration. He's supposed to be a beacon of these things in spite of everything he's done, sees and being an alien in an adopted world. It's pretty un-Superman to see him flying around looking like he's about to cry and then staring creepily at his ex-lover's house listening to her conversation.

13. Captain Craig

I keep seeing this said/typed.
    Where?

In trailer 2 he makes a crack from the backseat to the car thief.
    In trailer 3 he makes the "knives" crack.

I don't recall a trailer one wise crack.

My point is where is all this funny wisecracking Spidey? At the same time the film is held up as "being darker". Can it be wisecracking funny and darker at the same time? Seem like blind wishful thinking to me. Two cracks in the same scene do not make it a more wisecracking Spidey film. The Maguire films had plenty of cracks then according to this measurement stick.

14. davejames

Maybe not as Spidey, but certainly in the man Peter Parker scenes we see.

15. Admiral James Kirk

Just like the comic books. Spidey was always the wiseacre and Peter Parker was always life's bitch! :)

16. Trekker4747

In the trailer when he's talking to Emma Watson who says every policeman in the city is looking for him he sort of responds with a humorous(ish) and humble, "All for me?"

17. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I thought Tony Stark was more funny in Iron Man than Spider-man was in the entire Raimi trilogy. I really hope they improve the humor in this new movie. :(

18. Admiral James Kirk

As do I. All of Maguire's (rare) wise cracks fell flat in the Raimi flicks. Oddly enough he was hilarious in the Spider-Man 2 video game. I guess the game had better writers than the movie! :lol:

19. I like Spidey's wisecracks, but otherwise I'm not all that impressed by what I saw in the 4 min preview. The rescue of the kid didn't work at all for me, and something is off about the look of the effects.

The cast looks good so I'm definitely going to give the movie a shot - good charming actors can carry a movie, but I can't say that I'm particularly excited by it.

20. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

Can't wait :D

I was thinking perhaps they're going to tie Spidey's origin in with The Lizard's, which makes sense.