Opinions on Chakotay & Seven

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Mach5, Jun 11, 2009.

?

Chakotay / Seven pairing gets:

1. Thumbs up!

21 vote(s)
    17.8%
  2. Thumbs down!

97 vote(s)
    82.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

I've seen a thread titled "7 and Chakotay did anyone see that coming???," but that one has been dead for over a year, and I'm really curious what you VOY fans think of this (unexpected) pairing.

I remember my reaction being WTF? :wtf:, and I admit, I was less than enthusiastic about it, probably because a part of me rooted for the guy in my present avatar (Harry).

Your thoughts?

2. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

Chakotay & Seven are like Demi Moore & Ashton Kutcher.
    You know they're together but you're not exactly sure why.:confused:

3. JustKate

JustKate Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As presented, it was just ridiculous. With the proper build-up, it might not have been, but...well, proper build-up wasn't usually one of Voyager's strengths, sadly, and it definitely wasn't in this case.

And I have to say, I think she and Harry might have been kind of cute together. I doubt if you and I, Mach5, will find that many who agree with us, but let's see.

4. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

Meh, Demi fell for Ashton because he's young and gorgeous, and Ashton fell for Demi probably because she was his pubertal fantasy.

But why would Seven fall for a guy with a probable secret crush on his captan, who likely had a latent girlcrush on her?

5. Zameaze

Zameaze Commodore Commodore

I'm with you, Mach5, I think Harry would have appreciated Seven. Chakotay would have been touching up his face-art and splashing on rain forest scented cologne in anticipation of impressing her with how 'savage' a Maquis really could be.

6. JustKate

^ Wow, that's three "Harry and Seven" advocates, which is pretty amazing to me. Until Mach started this thread, I thought I might be the only one.

7. exodus

Rank.

As a Borg, Seven was made to respect a chain of authority.
    Chakotay is First Officer, thus the Alpha Male on Voyager.
    His rank to Seven would give him appeal.

Mach 5, Ashton is young and gorgeous? I was thinking more like doofy & talentless. Demi has the money, being an actress/producer. He just riding her coat tails. Can you say: Male J-Lo?

8. kimc

kimc Coffee Mod Admiral

Make that four. :D

Of course this is assuming you believe that Seven is ready for an intimate relationship by the end of the series which I don't. However, I can see she and Harry gradually getting closer after the return to earth. He was always patient with her and saw her as a person before just about anyone else did.

He would probably also make a good sounding board for Seven after she discovers Chakotay got with the captain before Voyager hit spacedock and...

... wait, I keep forgetting that part never got filmed. All that J/C fanfiction! ;)

9. Mareika

Mareika Captain Captain

Seven and Harry? No way. What should Seven do with a guy like Harry? I think he`s boring and he isn`t good looking.
    I think Seven and Chakotay are very good looking and sexy together.
    I`m a J/Cer, but I also I like 7/C.

10. kimc

kimc Coffee Mod Admiral

Gee do you need a list? :devil:

11. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

People Magazine sure doesn't agree with you.

12. JustKate

Harry and Seven are both in most ways such innocents - I think they would be kind of sweet together. Seven is emotionally so young...she really needs more of a boy-girl romance, not a full-fledged adult affair, to help her grow up. And Harry could give that to her. Even in love - heck, especially in love - you need to walk before you can run.

And I think he's cute. He's a cute boy. And yes, Chakotay is drop-dead gorgeous (and Seven is double-drop-dead gorgeous, of course), but that for me wasn't enough to make them "sexy" together. I found them awkward together. It's not the actors' fault - it's the fault of bad writing and an inadequate build-up.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2009
  13. Vulcan Princess

Vulcan Princess Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Four and a half.

I'm mainly a Seven/Doctor 'shipper, but I could see her with Harry as well.

14. exodus

I do think Harry was to passive for a woman like Seven.

15. kimc

kimc Coffee Mod Admiral

On the contrary he was often the only one who had the backbone to stand up to her. One example is when she was giving everyone designations in "Omega Directive". Everyone else went along with it but Harry basically told her she was nuts.

16. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

I see no chemistry at all between Chakotay and Seven and I still don't understand why the writers did come up with that in the last possible hour of a seven year long show. Was it a final attempt to give the finger at the strongest and most ardent fanbase among the Voyager fans, the J/C-ers? :confused:

As in another case in which fans were annoyed and hurt, they did have two options:

1. Pair off Janeway and Chakotay at the end which would have been highly appreciated by a large group of fans.

2. Leaving the whole thing to the imagination of the fans.

As in that other case, they did create and choose option 3 which insulted and annoyed the most loyal group of fans the show had (no I'm not one of the ardent J/C-ers but I do sympathize with their cause).

I can't help wondering if those in charge were so frustrated with everything about Voyager in season 6 that they deliberately took it out on certain groups of fans by creating scenarios which they knew would upset those people.

17. JustKate

^ I am confident you are being completely paranoid, Lynx. "Deliberately took it out on certain groups of fans"? Please. They were careless, not vengeful.

18. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

Just because you're paranoid doesn't automatically mean they're not after you...

BTW, check out Braga's track record:

All Good Things (TNG) - Riker/Troi shippers get ass-kicked by Worf
    Endgame (TNG)(little earlier, actually) - JanewaY/Chakotay shippers get middle-fingered by Seven of Nine (and Harry/Seven shippers, if these even existed, got violated by The Chief himself).
    These Are The Voyages (ENT) - Trip/T'Pol shippers get ass-raped by Trip & T'Pol themselves (and the Grim Reaper, eventually).

Coincidence? (:D)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2009
  19. JustKate

Oh, for goodness' sake.

20. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

Okay, I didn't put any emoticons in my post, but I didn't exactly write it with a straight face either :lol:

But Braga's shippercide tendencies are interesting none the less (He killed Neelix/Kess too, for crying out loud :rommie:).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.