The Star Trek Lit-verse Reading Guide

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by ryan123450, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, I guess this is a good time to get in on the ground floor for such a project.

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

You can probably add Kevin Hearne's upcoming Heir to the Jedi to that list, it's described as being set between Episodes IV and V, although we don't know when, exactly. But it'll probably be after "One Thousand Levels Down."

Although I imagine you're waiting to add things until they're actually released...

3. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Is Ezra's Gamble not considered part of the new "canon"?

4. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I will be adding Heir to the Jedi and the other upcoming books as they get closer to release. And I do need to find out about the placement of Ezra's Gamble and put it on the list. I had forgotten that one originally.

5. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The final chapter in Ezra's Gamble is a prose adaptation of Rebels: Property of Ezra Bridger, if that information helps at all.

6. ryan123450

Ok thanks!

7. Enterpriserules

Enterpriserules Commodore Commodore

Oh nice! I like The Wars too! I even review A New Dawn myself.

8. ryan123450

I just posted this month's update. Next month I'll try to get into the habit of doing it a lot sooner.

9. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

So, The Old Republic MMO isn't part of the canon?

10. Enterpriserules

No, Star Wars: A New Dawn is the first official book in the new canon. The only other print canon right now is Son of Dathomir the Clone Wars comic about Darth Maul that was actually a series that was going to be seen if the cartoon had not been cancelled.

11. ryan123450

Also the young adult novel about Ezra from Rebels and the three latest short stories in Star Wars Insider. The Old Republic is the only ongoing Legends material, and it is not canon(but it will probably not be contradicted going forward either, as far as I could imagine).

12. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

I have this feeling that the vast majority of pre-Episode I stuff, and probably a lot of pre-Episode IV stuff, will end up slowly being reincorporated. I suspect the movie was written without any desire to match the post-RotJ continuity, and so all of that will be completely gone, but going the other direction... Too much good stuff there to totally ignore.

13. Christopher

I'm sure that, as they've always done, they'll pick out bits and pieces from the EU that they like while ignoring other parts.

14. Enterpriserules

This is very much how Lucas used what was there in the EU and also the approach that the Clone Wars team did as well. They incorporated what they liked or worked for the stories they wanted to tell and over wrote what didn't work.

15. Christopher

It's pretty much the approach that incarnations of every franchise have taken when drawing from other incarnations. I keep talking about this in various threads because it's a recent interest, but the Superman comics of the early 1940s drew elements from both the radio series (Jimmy Olsen, Perry White, kryptonite) and the newspaper comic strip (the Daily Planet) while disregarding other aspects of them (e.g. having Superman be a public figure rather than the clandestine type he was in the pre-WWII radio series, or having Jimmy be red-haired instead of blond). And the '90s Batman comics drew Harley Quinn and Renee Montoya from Batman: The Animated Series, as well as rebuilding Gotham City to echo Anton Furst's designs from the Tim Burton movies, while still being distinct from those continuities.

16. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

Well we've had Jacen, Jaina, and Anakin for over 20 years now. I find it difficult to believe that Disney would completely and absolutely discard them.

17. ryan123450

Well I'm afraid you'll be surprised next winter then. There's no way the creator's of the new films even gave those characters a first, let alone second, thought.

18. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Yep.

19. Christopher

It could go either way. It depends on what story they want to tell. If the existing characters can serve that story, they'll use them. If it serves their story to go a different direction instead, they won't use them.

Fans get fixated on "Will there be continuity or won't there," but continuity is not the end, just the means. The end is telling the story, so that's the direction you need to approach it from. They'll use whatever serves the story, whether it's original or borrowed.

20. dansigal

dansigal Captain Captain

I really like the Star Wars addition to the site. I always found the EU a bit too established to get into late in the game, but I may give it a try with this new continuity. If I had one piece of criticism, it's that listing each Clone Wars episode individually feels cumbersome to me.