Wearing Starfleet Uniform Out in Public - Help

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by ST-TNG-FAN91, May 3, 2010.

1. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

I've always been a Trek fan, never been into sports at all, but I do think wearing a Trek uniform in public is social suicide. For whatever reason, Trek is not 'cool' in the mainstream, so I wouldn't dare advertise my status as a Trekkie in public.

I think the worst thing that ever happened for fandom was the jury lady in Trekkies. After that, our credibility, if we ever had any, was gone.

2. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Sigh. ST has extremely good public acceptance and recognition in Australia. I've never had a problem (since 1979) wearing ST T-shirts, the odd trip on public transport in uniform to get to a ST function, attending ST premiere nights in costume, and so on.

You have as much chance of being ridiculed for wearing a losing football team's jersey as for a ST uniform.

As for the jury duty woman, how many people in the Australian mainstream even remember this minor new item from a decade ago? Surely the recent Adelaide comic shop guy, foiling a shoplifting in his store while he was dressed as Spider-Man, has replaced her in the public consciousness by now.

3. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

How about "hemline?" And if one leg is wrapped as you say, wouldn't the "skirt" move wrong as you walk.
    Why wear that kind of outfit at all if you can't have some sashay as you move away.

4. Angela 0077

Angela 0077 Captain

Yes l was wondering if this guy was wearing a long top or a skirt.

One time when l was on a bus to Melbourne l seen a guy in a skirt plus he was carrying a handbag.

Poeple were looking at him but they just stared at him.

I think any where in the world you have to be careful even if you are wearing a costume for fun some will bully or hit you if you do not watch out.

But for me if l seen someone wearing a costume and it was there favoute thing to wear l wouldnt say or do anything because you should be able to do things in moderation.but it is other people.

It is a shame we can wear what we want in this world to some exstent..

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2010
  5. DaughterofMogh

DaughterofMogh Cadet Newbie

Reading through this whole thread, this one "signature" of a poster came to mind, as it popped up whenever this person posted.

"In all the history of the world, a riot has NEVER broken out at a Sci-Fi convention."

And once sports entered the discussion, I recall all the anger and violence that actually is involved with both the players and fans of sports teams.

A Star Trek uniform might get you looks, but I highly doubt it would provoke someone enough to physically harm you. Especially as a man... I could see someone trying to come onto a female a little too strong, but that's a different scenario.

You're more likely to get into an altercation wearing a sports jersey. People can get really riled up. I recently moved to the LA area and I feel like a walking target every time I wear my orange Giants sweatshirt. But I still wear it because I'm a fan.

Honestly, I've only dressed up in Star Trek uniforms when going to conventions, the Hilton's Star Trek experience years ago in Vegas, for a movie premiere, Halloween, and a Star Trek museum. I've had fun every time and after a bit, stop caring about stares. I always have fun.

I say if you're comfortable, go for it. It's just clothing. All the negativity here and comments about people's appearance and state of mind are disappointing. Have fun with being a fan and enjoy something that you purchased that made you happy. That was the whole point of the purchase, and the OP was doubt that some outside source put into your head.

6. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

That's because the basement dwellers are not capable of physically harming anyone. :guffaw:

7. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

As far as I understand, the TNG skant is like a pair of black shorts, with the contrasting colour panel making a skirt-like flap across the front. A divided skirt. Culottes.

And Troi did some good sashaying in "Encounter at Farpoint".

8. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

WOOHOO!! Now that is a Star Trek hottie!!:drool:

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2010
  9. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I don't think I've ever heard of anyone in trek gear receiving bodily injury..however, I doubt wearing it is a good idea other than a t-shirt if you want to gain social acceptance. Uniforms are a bit much outside of conventions.

RAMA

10. Anticitizen

Anticitizen Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Except for redshirts, surely? :devil:

11. EnsignRicky

EnsignRicky Commodore Commodore

I used to attend conventions in my twentieth century Earth infiltration away team attire and nobody really seemed to bother me too much. Except ironically enough for that group of jerks at the costume contest.

12. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Since Star Trek premiered last year I have seen more Star Trek t-shirts than all the previous 40+ years of Trek. Perhaps Trek has become more socially acceptable. Although I still think wearing a costume every day is too much.

13. EnsignRicky

Either that, or a lot of people were eating Rice Krispies and Cheez-Its.

14. Hofner

Hofner Commodore Commodore

I've got a great idea. You should wear your Starfleet uniform to job interviews. That way you don't even need a resume. The interviewer will take one look at you in your proud Starfleet uniform and know you are loyal, hard-working and don't lie. They'll hire you on the spot.

Robert

15. EnsignRicky

I remember a few years back some woman was in the news for insisting on wearing a TNG Starfleet duty uniform to jury duty.
    I kept thinking that if she was really serious, she would have worn a dress uniform.

16. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Even better, go in full Klingon makeup and uniform.

(Fun fact: When JG Hertzler auditioned to play Martok, his audition consisted of throwing a chair against a wall. :guffaw: )

17. Anticitizen

Anticitizen Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I tried, desperately, to find the clip from the excellent 'The Big Bang Theory' episode in which Sheldon, unable to cope with the gross historical inaccuracies he encounters at the local Renaissance fair, attends dressed as Spock, under the pretense that he's an explorer visiting a medieval-like planet, allowing for the 'canon violation'. :-D

Funny stuff.

18. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

I think look for a fan group or a place where people who wear uniforms have gatherings together.