Writing my first little book

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Astroboy, Apr 21, 2013.

1. Astroboy

Astroboy Ensign Newbie

Hey so I am writing my first book and I am wondering if you think my concept is cool. So its about a experimental starship that is made to carry many starships inside of it. The idea is that this one ship is capable of transwarp speeds and can carry vessels that are not able to go transwarp to places far away. It is also to be the most heavly armed ship ever built by the federation.

So what do you think?

2. CeJay

CeJay Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I like the idea of a starship transporter. But it would have to make sense within the logic of your story. For example, why could you fit the transporter ship with transwarp but not the smaller ships?

I would stay away from the super-ship concept though. The idea of the best armed starship in the fleet is an old cliche and probably limits your story-telling opportunities. Cargo ships aren't usually heavily armed and it would be much more interesting to follow the story of a ship which may get outgunned instead of one that can easily best any enemy it encounters.

3. Astroboy

Astroboy Ensign Newbie

well thats part of the idea. I can spin off and follow any one of the ships it brings with it for up to 6 or 7 chapters, including a cargo ship. The other part (Your going to hate me) is I am going cross universe and Astroboy will make an appearance in the story at some point

4. Sandoval

Sandoval Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Astroboy?

So what's the deal here? You're twelve years old or something?

I'm asking as a courtesy because I don't like berating children (much).

5. Angry Fanboy

Angry Fanboy Captain Captain

Angry Fanboy

I think I was about sixteen when I started.

Sixteen and sat in my bedroom writing Star Trek fan fiction... :rolleyes:

6. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

I loved it when I thought of it five years ago...

7. Sandoval

I call bullshit on that.

Transplanting the aircraft-carrier concept into Star Trek? Like that hasn't been thought of a thousand times by a thousand different people.

As if 'a big fast ship carrying smaller ships' is some unique, ground-breaking concept and anyone with a similar idea could only have conceived it by plagiarising something you posted five years ago.

Get real.

8. Sandoval

And while we're on the subject your concept is nothing but one massive fanboy cliché from beginning to end, what with all the mammoth ships crewed by thousands of 'sentients' fast enough to 'hop' between galaxies in search of the centre of the cosmos, so I wouldn't be quite so eager to lay claim to it if I were you.

9. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Did I piss on your fish or something in a past life there, Sandy? First you jump down Astroboy's throat for nothing more than his choice of user name, then you jump down my throat in his defense.

One might suspect your were some kind of troll.

You wouldn't be one of those, wouldja?

10. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

Please don't accuse other posters of trolling, Admiral2. If you find a post objectionable hit the notify Mod button on it instead.
    Sandoval, please try to be a bit less provocative in your wording when you offer critique to writers here. People usually invest plenty of time and passion into their writing without anything material in return and while a lot of fan fiction (overall, generally speaking) isn't very good it would be wise to keep that in mind when giving feedback.

Let's get back on topic.

Last edited: May 7, 2013
  11. Angry Fanboy

Angry Fanboy Captain Captain

Angry Fanboy

It does seem a little deluded to imagine that a person posting a 'starship carrier' concept could only have stolen it from a story outline posted in another forum five years ago. :lol:

I've seen it multiple times in different Star Trek fan fictions, it's hardly unique.

12. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

Then again, Admiral2 didn't accuse anyone of having stolen it. He just posted a link to a similar idea he had a while ago. He'd have to clarify what he meant by it.

13. Sandoval

He didn't say "here's my link to a SIMILAR idea", he said "when I thought of it."

The intent was as clear as day to anyone with eyes, however much you may wish to deny it.

I simply called him on it, and subsequently called him on his staggeringly fanboyish concept.