STID: The ‘Other' Starship / [Spoiler]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by calamity_si, Apr 16, 2013.

1. calamity_si

calamity_si Commander Red Shirt

2. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Warp Factors aren't a linear progression, so I wouldn't think it'd be warp 24.

3. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

I didn't think so. Then, if it isn't that, what does it mean for a ship to be three times faster than another ship?

4. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

5. calamity_si

Not impressed Dukhat?

6. Xaios

Xaios Commander Red Shirt

That's a big freaking ship!

The shape of it actually reminds me more of the Ambassador class than anything.

7. calamity_si

I know, it does doesn't it? Looking at the trailer it looks like she has some kind of retractable weapons arms? I'll have to see her in action before I make a call on that. ...

8. Spike730

Spike730 Captain Captain

Great, third movie in a row with a fugly über-ship.

9. calamity_si

10. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

You have to ignore an awful lot for that to work...
    [​IMG]
    Add to that the branching corridors around and behind the bridge.

A nice easy explanation for the ship sizes being so different is that there's a different guy running Starfleet in the alternate reality. Prime Trek had Admiral Nogura, NuTrek has Admiral Marcus. Nogura, for whatever reason, wanted frontline ships compacted from the huge Enterprise-D-scaled vessels of the Kelvin era to Voyager-like sizes (hence the 300m 1701-prime), wheras Marcus kept with the enourmous Enterprise-D-ish (and now bigger) scaled ships.

11. Lord Lunacy

Lord Lunacy Commander Red Shirt

12. aeriolewinters

aeriolewinters Lieutenant Red Shirt

It isn't without inspiration though...

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Dreadnought!

here's some technical info:

13. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

Pictures and ship comparisons help.
    [​IMG]

Abrams ENT is larger than the ENT-E by about 40 meters since the number on the picture is 735 and not the official 725. The height of the ENT-E is 75 meters with memory alpha records Abrams ENT as 190.5 meters height.

While the Dreadnought does look badass. Has anyone else noticed the trend of the last three movies? The Enterprise fights up hill battles against black enemy ships which happen to be several times bigger than it?

Scimitar From NEM. Recorded to have 890 meters length 1350 width
    [​IMG]

The Narada From 09. With it's absurd length of 5 miles/9,368.7 meters.
    [​IMG]

And now John Harrison's ship. Which looks to be roughly the size of the Scimitar
    [​IMG]

Speaking of similarities. Has anyone else noticed that Shinzon, Nero and John Harrison all have a fashion taste in trench coats? While Shinzon's kind of a stylist thing for the Reman military. Does JJ seriously believe black trench coats are the fashion choice of villains in the 23rd century? Haha I jest, I jest.

14. calamity_si

Actually, compared to those other brutes, this dreadnought doesn't look too scary....plus we know it gets it's @ss kicked anyway! :rolleyes:

15. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    I just noticed from the trailer...

It seems that Scotty is the first to get aboard the 'Black Ship of Death'...

I'd bet He's probably the one that sends it to it's bay plunge...

"...the more they over think the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain..."

;)

16. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

17. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The actual brewery (Budweiser in Northridge, CA) is not even 200m long. Wide-angle camera lenses typically make small things look big. Besides, it was my impression that JJ's original idea was to make the "lower decks" of the ship look 'rough'. It makes a bit more sense if you imagine ALL of the secondary hull is engineering and the shuttle bay.

Also, the bridge is clearly not under the dome structure in the new ship. It's several decks below, which allows for the corridor access.

In any event, we will agree to disagree. I think it's clear someone (who likely didn't understand how big a "meter" was) screwed up in production with the shuttle bay scene, and everything else has been to justify this fact. Until they state the size of the ship *in the movie*, I'll consider anything else to be non-canon.

18. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    Any guesses as to what kind of 'Super Weapon' the Dreadnought has?

Perhaps some kind of Repulser Beam ??

In effect a way to send something like Nero's mass of missiles back at the aggressor...

:confused:

19. japol

japol Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I wonder how much tech Starfleet got from salvaging the Narada's drill from San Francisco Bay. :)

20. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Way too complicated for a general audience. It is most likely what it appears to be: a big-ass phaser cannon that can take out chunks of the Enterprise.