The best lead paragraph on a news story ever

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by 23skidoo, Jan 27, 2010.

1. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

I've been in the newspaper business for close to 20 years now. I've written about 15,000 stories. Have read many times more. This story could have my favorite lead paragraph of all time:

http://www.theprovince.com/life/strippers+ruffles+feathers+Whistler/2491024/story.html

Sometimes reporters get hit with lightning, and this was one of those cases. Even better - scroll down to the 5th paragraph and the follow-up reference to the chicken.

I mean, there's a movie plot right there for the taking. Or at least a skit on Robot Chicken.

Note the photo used is slightly not safe for work, but this is a newspaper website so that shouldn't be a problem.

The only other lead paragraph that made me laugh more than this was actually from a short story - Joe Lonsdale's original Bubba Ho-Tep short story, which I won't repeat here as this is a family website.

So, can anyone recall any other newspaper or magazine leads that made you sit up and laugh or go WTF?

Alex

2. Servo

Servo Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I remember a headline I saw (I think on the BBC website, but I could be wrong) during the height of the Bird Flu scare. It was for a story about one or more cases of the disease in Turkey. The headline simply read... Turkey Diagnoses Bird Flu.

Made me chuckle. :lol:

3. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

My favourite, from Malaga's The Town Crier, is still "Man Shot in Los Boliches." :guffaw:

4. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

I remember once working as a proofreader for a newspaper and I managed to stop this little goodie from getting into print: "Consumers get cans burned buying wet firewood".

Well, at 11:30 p.m. a lot of things become funny that might not be so at 2:30 p.m.! ;)

Alex

5. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

Not quite a headline, but yesterday Sky News showed footage of that house collapsing (I forget where it was exactly) with the 'Coming Up' banner in place. I was on the verge of tears.

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Fun with silly euphemisms:

"Under the bylaw, exotic dancing is defined as an act in which the pubic area, genitals, nipples or areola of the person on stage is exposed to the audience."

Considering that everyone in the world has those, in what way exactly does it qualify as "exotic?" :D

And a possible loophole: does the bylaw actually specify "nipples," plural, in its phrasing? Does that mean a dancer could get away with showing just one nipple?

7. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

8. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I once tried to get the headline "Local man rocks out with his cock out" INTO the paper.

9. Ruaidhri

Ruaidhri Commodore Commodore

Ruaidhri...Toronto in body, Philly in spirit!
    Somewhere I have a newspaper clipping with a headline that reads:

"THE SEMEN HAS SPOKEN"

It refers to DNA evidence in a rape trial. If I can find it I'll take a snap of it and post it. Definitely catches the eye.

10. PKTrekGirl

PKTrekGirl Arrogant Niner Thug Admiral

I liked the TV headline after Katrina. Shot of Bush babbling in the background about how wonderfully the administration was handling the thing, and the news banner at the bottom of the screen said:

BUSH: WORST DISASTER IN US HISTORY

Truer words were never spoken. :lol:

That, my friends, is a classic TV moment.

11. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It does mention areola in its singular. You do have to get past the areola to get to the nipple. Loophole closed.

12. Kirks_Flying_Wig

Kirks_Flying_Wig Commander Red Shirt

13. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

[​IMG] < was my avatar for about a month after Katrina. :p

My favorite headline of all time came in 1991: Bush, Congress Butt Heads. I don't remember the paper it came from, but it made it onto Jay Leno's Headlines.