Blurb for What Judgments Come

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by DarkHorizon, Jul 2, 2011.

1. DarkHorizon

DarkHorizon Captain Captain

As the title says, a blurb has appeared for the next Vanguard installment at the Simon & Schuster website:

We're actually coming up on the end? Will Storming Heaven bring it to a close? :wah:

2. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wow that is actually amazing. Treklit has never had a series come to a difinative and planned close. While I think Vangaurd still has more life in it, I would much rather it end before I'd like it to than for it to drag on and on past it's prime and then someday end with unresolved plot lines going.

Hopefully New Frontier will come to a definative close soon as well.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
  3. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was wondering a few days ago, will Vanguard even come to an end, properly? I guess it will.....

4. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

That depends on how well Blind Man's Bluff sells; Peter David has said he's not contracted for any more New Frontier novels after the just-released BMB and that future books will depend on this book's sales.

5. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

David Mack, if you're around - can you tell us how many more books the series is going to last? Has it been decided?

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Huh, I was under expecting at least several more years worth of Vanguard stories. But if this is the end, I'm sure it'll be a good one. The authors haven't let us down yet, and I don't see any reason to expect them to in the future.

Although it does say the end of the epic saga begins, it doesn't say anything about how long the end will be. For all we know this "end" could take another 5 or 6 books.

7. Thrawn

I'm just saying, I love Wardilmore and all, but Mack had best be writing the final book. For real.

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

^If I got my wish (which I know I won't) the final book will be a huge 1000 page epic written by Mawardimore, or maybe even Pamawardimore.

9. Thrawn

^ I'm still taking a 1,000 page epic by Mack all by himself.

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

:bolian:I could definitely live with that, too.

11. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

Storming Heaven will be the finale, yes. It was a decision made by us, the authors, to end the saga properly, rather than risk it running out of steam or end up left unfinished for whatever reason.

Although What Judgements Come has Dayton & Kevin's name on the cover, and Storming Heaven has my name on the cover, the title pages for the two books will credit all three of us with the story for each book, because we developed the two-part conclusion as a team. This is a change from our previous operating mode of one-upmanship from one book to the next; we wanted to plan this all out and do it right.

Hang on to your hats, folks. It's about to get intense. :)

12. Thrawn

Well, that's both extremely depressing and...kind of thrilling. I would much rather stories end well than trail off into oblivion, but I figured Vanguard could last a really long time, so much great stuff available.

But given how absurdly quickly books 2 and 3 moved, I do think a lot of those possibilities could get used in two books, especially written to be as epic as possible.

Either way, can't wait :)

13. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

THE END OF THE EPIC SAGA BEGINS

And, unless they destroy the station, other adventures could still take place there.

14. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

This sounds really rather brilliant, like many other people not having read Reap the Whirlwind yet and only reading Harbinger and Summon the Thunder and loving them both, I'll have to hunt this illusive title down and then read the subsequent titles.

From what David said in this very thread and how the creative team of Mack, Ward, Dilmore and Palmieri have crafted this story from the very beginning and have always said it would come to an end, it will end. Starbase 47 will be no more and the (selected) events of Operation Vanguard will go down in the annals of history according to Paths of Disharmony. Some of the characters may show up, some of the events will be alluded to, but Vanguard will end as a series.

15. Therin of Andor

Exactly.

16. Brefugee

And to continue what I said earlier: but Vanguard will end as a series.

Where as after what you said earlier, you come across that you believe that Vanguard will continue as a series post Storming Heaven which from what David has said here and from what has always been said about Vanguard is it will end and the story will be concluded which I personally believe is the best and most logical thing to happen.

17. Therin of Andor

Must be my secret hidden agenda to deliberately confuse people. :rommie:

18. Brefugee

Here's what you wrote:
    Now that clearly says you believe that stories will continue post Storming Heaven on Starbase 47 and the Taurus Reach which from what has been said is clearly not the case.

Anyway, we all know you have no more say in what occurs with in the books than anyone else who post here (except the writers of course, but then only in what they write and nothing outside that remit) although you give the impression other wise.

:rolleyes:

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

This sums up my feelings pretty well too. I'm disappointed the series is ending, but at the same time I can't wait to see how you guys end things. Thinking about it a little more, I'm glad to hear that you guys will be ending the series before it gets dragged on to long. Will this be the first ongoing series to actually get a real, planned conclusion?

20. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm a bit sad. I was hoping that Star Trek: Vanguard could be an ongoing series as long as David, Dayton, Kevin -- and, I was hoping, Marco -- were drawing breath. :(