Season ONE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Mutai Sho-Rin, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Well, I finally watched the one TNG episode I have never seen, Skin of Evil. Not bad, but not great. One thing that struck me while watching the episode is the potential friendship that could have developed between Worf and Yar had she stayed. They had a nice scene together on the Bridge.

2. Aatrek

Aatrek Rear Admiral

Ironically, Denise Crosby is quoted saying that if there had been more scenes like that Worf/Yar bit, she might have stayed!

3. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I feel the same way about Enterprise's 4th season. If there had been more of those stories early on (birth of the Federation, augments, mirror universe), the show probably would not have lost the fanbase.

4. Buster

Buster Ensign Newbie

I've only been a Trek fan for a few weeks. So far I've seen the first 10 episodes of TOS and the two Abrams movies. TOS has superior and more thought provoking storylines than the movies, but even on blu-ray it feels extremely dated. I want to continue watching the series, but will now be watching TNG at the same time. S1 is on the way and should arrive tomorrow. Hopefully the set will have fixed audio.

5. GameOn

GameOn Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Yeah I can appreciate TOS but it's always been dated to me especially as I got into Trek with the movies in the 80's. TNG doesn't really get good until season 3 but there's still some enjoyable episodes in the first 2 seasons. The blu-ray remastering of season 1 is excellent though and almost makes it look like a new show again, sadly the effects of season 2 didn't get the same care and attention.

Last edited: May 16, 2013
  6. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

The corrected version has the Starfleet symbol on spine.

If you are ordering new from Amazon, they definitely have the fixed versions at this point.

7. GameOn

GameOn Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Here's a quick comparison shot of the faulty and corrected sets so you can check.
    [​IMG]

8. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Ah, so he is UK? I guess I'll delete that part of the post. :lol:

9. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^ The UK sets do have the starfleet insignia on the spine if they've been fixed though.

10. Savage Dragon

Ooof. Those UK discs are pretty hideous with all the rating information on it. And here I thought having the bilingual version of Season 1 from Canada was bad.

11. Reeborg

Reeborg Commander Red Shirt

I just learned from you that such bilingual version for Canada exists. I thought that basically all worldwide editions were the same (in audio tracks and subtitles). It has only an English and a French audio track, right? Is the French one Quebec or France French? Where could I see/hear a sample?

12. Scotty

Scotty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

When exactly are you gonna stop and admire the discs? They're either in the case or in your player. As long as they're round, I don't care what they look like.

13. Savage Dragon

I admire the nice blue discs every time I take them out. I don't really care that much either, but given the choice I would take the blue ones over the ones from the UK.

14. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

Oh thank god!

I just bought season one here in Australia yesterday. I had heard much about the apparent audio problems and was scared. So far, I haven't seen any issues. Watched several episodes already. I guess JB Hi Fi now have the corrected sets in stock.

15. Jadin

Jadin Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Second.

16. Savage Dragon

What can I say. I prefer the clean looking blue discs I got over here.

17. otomo

otomo Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Just started the series again after a number of years. Picture quality is astounding, I'm so happy to watch the show like this. The first season (to me) hasn't held up well at all though on a content level. A lot of trying to duplicate the original series, and failing in a lot of respects. I feel like it finally came into its own the last 2 episodes of the season, so I hope my memories of the show hold up for later seasons. I do recall it only gets better. The restoration is so pretty though!

18. Kirk the Jerk

Kirk the Jerk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Guys sorry this may have been answered already but I've just ordered a pre owned copy of Season 1 with the faulty audio barcode (only realised after I placed the order) is the audio problem noticeable on a standard HD TV set or is just when using a surround sound system? Again apologies if this has already been answered.

19. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

Yes. There is a very bad distortion/echo on the affected episodes when downmixed to stereo. Definitely use the information at this link:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=9223

20. Kirk the Jerk

Kirk the Jerk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thanks for the quick reply, I guess I'll have to get in touch with those guys. The only thing I'm hoping is that because it's pre-owned is that the discs have already been replaced but was sold under the old bar code (wishful thinking maybe...)