FX/editing wishlist/technical/related discussion for STNG-R

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by RAMA, May 11, 2011.

1. Mr. B

Mr. B Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: What new FX/editing do you want to see in the STNG-R?

This might be a little jarring since it's never really appeared, but when they say "evasive maneuvers," how about we see said ship actually looking like it's trying.

2. Butters

Butters Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

:techman: Yes.

Also. The shot in Q-Who, where the borg slice in to the saucer section, how about we see those twelve people go missing?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  3. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

If we were to see that like in the ENT episode where Captain Archer orders the airlock decompressed with the 2 Borg drones blown out to space and we see it happen from space. ENT #223 Regeneration
    Yes CGI would be able to do that pretty easy in TNG-R.

4. Mitty

Mitty Vice Admiral Admiral

Can we please have seasons 1&2 altered so that everyone is wearing the season 3 - 7 uniforms. Including Wesley and Troi.

5. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Actually, I hope they can leave that original shot. I thought that was one of the most impressive effects shots in all of TNG.

Doug

6. MrPointy

MrPointy Captain Captain

Can we CG out Pulaski altogether and replace her with something less offensive. Like Jar-Jar Binks?

7. BlobVanDam

BlobVanDam Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh boy, I just got hit with the thought of seeing her face in high definition.

Start a petition, and I'll sign it.

8. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Better be ready for the pancake makeup all the ladies wore in the 80's. :techman:

9. Butters

Butters Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It sure was. Just not convinced it would be that awesome in HD. Hope I'm wrong though.

10. evilnate

evilnate Commodore Commodore

It was a great shot, but unfortunatly it also looks like one of those shots that was done almost entirely in the video realm, meaning that there aren't any filmed elements to reuse.

That said, I've been doing a rewatch of TNG (I'm up to season 6 now), and I'm struck by how many of what I consider to be the most ambitious f/x shots are in the first three seasons. They might not be the best exectuted, but they went beyond what became "standard" shots of later TNG and beyond. I'm thinking about things like the destruction of the Yamoto, where you can see the decks of the saucer section burning away; the shots of the infected guy getting blown away in "Conspiracy"; and pretty much all of "Q-Who" (the aforementioned shot, the shot where the Enterprise's phasers blast away a chunk of the Borg ship, and the shot of the Borg ship regenerating.) All those shots wern't as "movie-quality" as some of the stuff that came later, but they were incredibly ambitious for late 80's TV.

11. BlobVanDam

BlobVanDam Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Don't worry, I've been watching TOS-R recently, so I'm already used to seeing the pancake makeup on McCoy. :D

12. Doug Otte

I'm pretty sure it was a special model they built, which was filmed. In compositing, they then added some beams and other lighting effects. Can someone please remind me to check my books tonight when I get home?

Doug

13. evilnate

Check your books!

I suppose that the saucer and deck section could have been filmed, but the whole shot has a strong video look to it. I've been looking for some sort of definative resource showing what was filmed and what was done on video, because I'm pretty sure that not all of the model shots for the series were filmed and then composited on video. I think that at least some existed on video only.

14. Doug Otte

Alright. I checked Nemecek's Companion and the Reeves-Stevenses The Continuing Mission. Neither one definitively states it either way. Describing the Borg ship, Nemecek writes on page 86: "The models for the ship were built..." so we know the Borg ship was a model. On page 93, the Reeves-Stevenses include storyboards of the "carving" scene along with some frames (their term) from the finished show. The caption for the storyboards states "...demand detailed planning before a single frame is shot."

We know that there was no CGI used to create ships throughout TNG. This has been stated numerous times. The frames from the scene that are shown in the book don't appear to be any type of primitive digital animation, and it's also been stated numerous times that the animation was used only for phaser beams, beaming effects, and the like.

I feel confident that it was a model, but I'll let those with more specific knowledge either support or refute me.

Doug

15. evilnate

It's certainty a model. What I'm wondering is if it was shot on film or on video.

16. Doug Otte

Oh, I see what you meant. I misunderstood. Everything was shot on film. Nothing was shot on video.

One other thing: I have a vague memory that the corkscrew piece of the Enterprise model was either sold during one of Paramount's prop/model auctions, or a collector posted that s/he owned it. Am I imagining this memory?

Doug

17. evilnate

That's interesting and encouraging. I've long thought that some of the model work was done on video, since that would have saved money and time in post-production. However, if all of the model shots were done on film, and those elements still exist in the archives, then TNG-R could rescan those elements, re-composite them, and retain the nice model work and lighting. They could just use CGI for the originally animated effects, thus staying closer to the original look of the series than TOS-R did. I hope we hear some real news about this soon!

18. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

Due to the costs involved in locating and telecining any film that is not live action would probably not be telecined and thus all visual effects would be done CGI like TOS-R. Here is why I believe why:
    Though when it comes to any visual effects as I said back on page 3
    The ILM work was good enought to be reused in STVII:Generations for some shots blown up projected on the cinema screen.

19. Vanyel

Vanyel The Imperious Leader Premium Member

As stated before, Yesterday's Enterprise could use some updating. Maybe we can see the 1701-C firing phasers, and the one thing that always bothered me about the episode. When Captain Garrett orders evasive maneuvers, the extirior shot shows the 1701-C standing still. Let's see it move around in the Gama sequence evasive maneuver Castillio said they were doing. Also we can show the 1701-D doing a bit more fancy flying too. True it was trying to stay between the 1701-C and the BoP,s but it could do more than show broadsides to the enemy.

20. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm less interested in seeing new shots and/or fights than in seeing some basic budgetary constraints corrected – giving us some decent Klingon ships instead of the oversized BoPs, using Probert's intended Ambassador design instead of the simplified model we got, and so forth. It might be nice to redesign the End-D in whole or in part to match the more militaristic interiors.