A response to the Nerd Rage. Spoilers

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Chu'lak, May 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chu'lak

Chu'lak Lieutenant

“I am Nomad! What is opinion!?”

[​IMG]

You know what I am beginning to hate? Star Trek fans. I can see not liking this movie for legitimate reasons, too fast to action packed, too much fun. Not enough staff meetings and mapping stars and studying nebulae. But I am reading things online like “McCoy said he delivered baby Gorn! Starfleet didn’t have first contact with the Gorn until 2267!” This constant stream of Comic Book Guy nerd rage makes me embarrassed to be a fan. Uber Nerds are saying it’s worse than The Motion Picture. <SIGH>

This movie is based on a series that the lead character got into a fist fight every week, tore his shirt open and once ran up a wall and tackled an Andorian with a knife stuck in his back. We've seen how bad trek can be.

[​IMG]

The hyperventilating rage about the Kirk death scene:
    In Wrath of Khan, that seen is used to show how the friend of nearly 20years comes to end and shows the love between these two best friends. In STID, the scene shows the cementing of a bond of two men who realize they need the best parts of one another. In Amok Time when he thought Kirk was dead and Kirk surprised him, Spock shouted smiled and embraced his friend. Here Kirk dies, and we get the same loss of control and an epic beat down.

The GandT Podcast raged against it, saying people rightfully walked out of the theatre when Khan revealed his identify. Some on The Ready Room podcast accused it of being not only a terrible Star Trek movie but a terrible movie in general. My Facebook timeline has comments like “I wasted 36 years of my life learning about Star Trek for nothing!” I’ve heard ignorant ranting’s like “Kirk didn’t violate the Prime Directive on Nibiru! There was no Prime Directive on TOS!”

I’m shocked and frankly saddened by the outrage and hatred being spewed by fans of a show that teaches IDIC. They are supposed to be so open minded and accepting, but if you create a new univervse to a 50 year old TV show they act like you have kidnapped their child and forced them into committing murder.

I’ve never seen anything like this. I was only 6 when TNG premiered in 1987, but was there this kind of rage in Starlog magazine and the old school bbs when the rough and tumble, fist fighting, womanizing Kirk was replaced by a docile, cheese eating surrender monkey?

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

This should go well...

A topic like this might have been more appropriate in the Neutral Zone forum. :lol:

3. Cinema Geekly

Cinema Geekly Commander Red Shirt

Don't forget how JJ and company have sullied GENE'S VISION™

4. EnterpriseF

EnterpriseF Commander Red Shirt

Sorry. Using the death scene from TWOK does not make this fil "fresh and exciting" IMO.

5. aeriolewinters

aeriolewinters Lieutenant Red Shirt

Star Trek Into Darkness is actually clever in making its title: The film tackles the cynicism in Starfleet(as Symbolized by Admiral Marcus' actions), and the urge to give in into Darkness. The film really sends a strong message against cynicism, and vendettas,Notice that in this film, the Enterprise never actually fires a single phaser bank, other than to protect itself... Now replay that scene where Scotty laments on Starfleet's darker path. People whining about Abrams not respecting the whole positivism of the franchise need a reality check: They're the ones actually being the cynics. They're the ones riddling everything with negativity. Irony at its best. Yes, I love almost all Trek films, I've started watching them while I was a kid, and I loved them, especially TWoK and TVH. I simply don't understand why people try their hardest to put down JJ's version of Trek:

To quote the undiscovered country:

It's about the future, Madame Chancellor. Some people think the future means the end of history. Well, we haven't run out of history quite yet. Your father called the future the undiscovered country. People can be very frightened of change.

Two differing circumstances. Two different death scenes. That's the actual trick. It may seem like the same scene but how both scenes were used in their respective films are really different.

6. Cinema Geekly

Cinema Geekly Commander Red Shirt

I usually don't find death scenes to be exciting...that being said.

They totally took a moment that was destined to occur no matter what, turned it on it's head and used it for a totally different purpose. How is that not fresh?

Now if they played it exactly like in WoK for the same intended purpose you might have a point.

7. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Welcome to my world. :cool:

8. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Yeah, that's it. I didn't like STID because it was just too much darn fun. You got me. LOL...

What's with all these whiney threads? So you liked the film. Great! I'm not going to try to convince you otherwise. I'll offer my own opinions, you can offer yours, and I won't lump you into a sweeping generalization of people who liked the film as you're doing in your post with people who didn't like the film.

There are Star Trek fans who didn't like ID. Get over it. Why not focus on what you liked about the film rather than obsess over fans who didn't like it. "Hate" Star Trek fans? Pointless and silly. I think that pic of Shatner from SNL is entirely appropriate.

9. aeriolewinters

Well it's actually okay... but when the haters call themselves "the real star trek fans". That's where the gloves come off.

10. EnterpriseF

EnterpriseF Commander Red Shirt

Sorry. The death scene and the fact that a star ship can withstand ocean pressures does nothing for me. Remeber when Trek was about science?

11. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Everyone's entitled to their opinions. Some like the movie, some don't.

Reactions to both Abrams movies is subdued compared to Enterprise back in the day. Broken Bow, the term "Klingon Warbird" is spoken. Fandom is in an outrage, declaring Berman and Braga unfit to run Trek and demanding their replacements be brought in last week. The same term used in Trek XI, Abrams and his Cohorts are gods and saviours of Trek.

There is nothing new in fan reaction to STID. Hell, the overwhelming love and support XI got was in all honesty scary. Trek fans are meant to be hate-mongering cynics who refuse to accept the new product. Indeed, back in the day, you weren't allowed to admit you liked an episode or movie until five years after it aired/was released. Things got weird in 2009.

12. aeriolewinters

Yeah, it produced Nemesis, Enterprise, and...erm Generations.

Also. pseudoscience is only one facet of Trek, and it's hardly important. What's important is the message of positivism, a concept most "real trek fans" seem to have forgotten along with IDIC.

13. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

No, I really don't remember when Star Trek was about real science. At least, not in my lifetime (I was born in 1971).

A construct that can survive getting close to stars and survive the wear and tear of going 0-to-Warp 5 in a few seconds should be able to handle a little water pressure. That's what the 'structural integrity field' is for.

14. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Or just be the bigger man (or woman) and ignore it and simply let people have their opinions. That goes for those who liked the film and those who didn't like it.

So silly...

15. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So because people don't share your opinions, don't like the same things you do, and have the audacity to express them, you hate them? Really classy. And really... ranting against "nerd rage?" Is your own post not an example of the exact opposite side of the same coin?

16. aeriolewinters

I think alot of the hate is a smokescreen to the real issue at hand: WAHHH OUR SOCIAL CLUB ISN'T EXCLUSIVE TO US ANYMORE. GO AWAY DUMB REDNECKS WHO CAN'T UNDERSTAND MUH STAR TREK.

Yeah, they let Hitler have his opinion...look what happened.

17. Chu'lak

Chu'lak Lieutenant

No, i hate irrational ignorant people who scream things like "There was no prime directive in TOS!" :wtf:

18. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

No, and I've been watching it since 1966. I understand it just fine, too, he said preemptively.

Star Trek used bits of science and technology - often in a misleading or misunderstood fashion - but what the posture of the series did represent was an endorsement for addressing experience in a reasoning, evidence-based and open minded fashion, all of which was certainly inspired by the mid-century American popular embrace of science and discovery as good in themselves.

19. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I see a lot more people complaining about people who don't like it, than people who don't like it complaining. To say nothing of the mind boggling arrogance it takes to assume one's own opinion is right because it's yours and anyone else who thinks differently is somehow subject to ridicule because they have the audacity to express it.

20. Chu'lak

Chu'lak Lieutenant

um, Voyager episode "30 days" Tom took the Delta Flyer to Planet Ocean, deep in the core. Janeway said Voyager could do it, but it would take a week to modify Voyager for the journey down...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.