A New Modern Trek Animated Series

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Opus, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

This was an idea I posted on the TNG board. I say they should make a TNG animated series. Riker is now in command of the E-E with Troi as his wife/couselor. Picard has been promoted to ambassador.

The series can revolve around Riker, with the supporting cast being a mix of DS9, VOY and TNG characters. With animation, the episodes can be set in the Modern Trek universe. They can concentrate on episode mini-arcs or longer season story arcs as well.

The animated series can deal with the open-ended story arc of Bajor entering the Federation, visit the post Dominion War world of Cardassia Prime, and the return of Sisko from the Prophets. Or the return of Odo from the Founders.

They could meet Spock and deal with the possible destruction of Romulus. They could bring back Lore, or the Duras family, or Q.

E-E can rendevous with Voyager and deal with a new Borg threat, or Species 8472. Or revisit with Kes or Neelix.

They could evoke time-travel and meet with Archer, witness the foundation of the Federation, or actually save Trip from dying. They could meet Kirk and crew from the Original Series as well.

Heck, they could discover a Constitution Class starship from an alternate timeline, a la ST09.

The possibilities are endless. The stories are right there to continue. The budget of an animated series would be minimal. Many of the actors from the different series already do voice-over work. Others can be done by voice-over actors. The series could have the look and feel of a Justice League and could play on Cartoon Network or even SyFy Channel. Cost could be offset by DVD sales. And Modern Trek could continue while the movie franchise with Abrams moves forward as well.

But please, NO Berman or Braga! Manny Coto did a fine job with Season 4 of ENT. Kurtzman and Orci have enough knowledge of Trek lore. Judy and Gar Reeves-Stevens would also be good choices.

Thoughts?

2. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

A new animated series is a possibility, considering the success of The Clone Wars. But it certainly would key off the movies. One huge advantage that animation has is that "Chris Pine" and "Zachary Quinto" could appear without needing to be involved, if their schedules/pay grade don't allow it. Just hire some talented voice doubles.

I don't see much demand for a TNG cartoon. TNG is done with.

Why would they be involved with Star Trek ever again?

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

This pretty much sums it up.

4. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Star Trek: The Next Generation is still the second most popular television series to have the Trek name, and its actors should mostly come cheap these days, but I suspect that the new movie will be the source of any future spin-offs before anything else.

5. Balrog

Balrog Commodore Commodore

Yeah. Clone Wars is based on the new trilogy after all. Trek's got to move forward, not back. Abramsverse is the new flavor.

6. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As Harvey said I doubt the voice talent would be outside a TV show's budget. Hell, Family Guy did an episode a year or so back that reunited the entire Next Generation cast, including Wil Wheaton and Denise Crosby.

And I really wouldn't mind seeing a Next Generation cartoon in the manner of Clone Wars (and, by extension, the earlier Star Trek cartoon).

But I think the consensus is dead on is that if there's gonna be a Star Trek cartoon - and was it Orci or Kurtzmann who vaguely aired the idea? - tying it in to the new film seems likely.

Not that I think a cartoon is likely anyway.

Hell, forget TNG - at this point, Berman and Braga are as topical as Fred Freiberger. They've been out of this game for little over six years now. Braga's probably better known to the general public as a 24 writer now, to the extent they'd know him.

7. prento

prento Ensign Newbie

I must admit that these animated series usually mess everything up...after you watch the animated thing, you don't even take real star trek seriously...

8. dsfjr1190

dsfjr1190 Ensign Newbie

The worst thing that would come from this idea is them giving Seven of Nine a more appropriate outfit.

9. Temis the Vorta

Never fear about that. VOY is deader than TNG.

10. Balrog

Who would watch this. TNG was popular twenty years ago. Those fans are now on average in their forties. Are they watching cartoons late at night in large numbers? The market is way too small to take a chance on a new series based on an old show.

11. Temis the Vorta

The Clone Wars does well enough from a mix of kids and growup Star Wars fans. The audience is not large, but the costs are held down because it's animated, so it works out financially.

The way to get Star Trek back on TV is to realize that the audience isn't going to be large, no matter what the topic is, the characters, live action vs animated or any other factor. Don't count on more than a few million. It's gotta work financially within those constraints.

12. MANT!

MANT! Vice Admiral Admiral

And bound to be ruined by Siffy if they even get a wiff that this could be profitable..

13. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Why would SyFy even get to touch this? It's a CBS property. They'll either air it on one of their own networks or sell it to a network that wants to air it. If it's a cartoon, it wouldn't shock me to see it on Cartoon Network with Clones Wars, Young Justice, and Green Lantern.

14. Temis the Vorta

Yeah, Cartoon Network seems to be the right place for it.

15. Uhura's Panties

Uhura's Panties Ensign Red Shirt

I’d be down with an animated series that continued the “Prime Universe”. But, me thinks that when Star Trek returns to TV (animated or live action) the next series will be tied into the Star Trek 09 Universe somehow.

16. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

I'd love to see a continuation of the TNG universe, set after the destruction of Romulus. An animated series has the advantage of being able to combine TNG with DS9 and Voyager ... get it on, now!

17. Uhura's Panties

That would be cool.

18. NuFan

NuFan Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

That would be awful.

19. Uhura's Panties

Depends on how it was done.

20. Balrog

How so?