Hey, um, anybody see Tuvok? *spoilers for Trek XI*

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by USS Kongo, Jun 5, 2009.

1. shatastrophic

shatastrophic Commander Red Shirt

There is no Tuvok now.

2. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Did the Vulcans do anything that major in TNG+ aside from Spock and Sarek? Maybe it's just a massive case of that one bum in "City on the edge of forever" where the death was inconsequential to major history.

3. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

"There is no Tuvok...only Zuul."

Don't forget Capt. T'Baseball! Without the DS9 crew taking time out to settle Sisko's years old rivalry, the Dominion War might not have been won!! ;)

4. USS Kongo

USS Kongo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Don't forget Dr. Selar, a Vulcan medical doctor who worked aboard the Enterprise-D. Wonder if she'll still be around, as well. :shifty:

Sean

5. kythe

kythe Commander Red Shirt

That's a pretty powerful statement, when you think about it. 6 billion people on a planet die and the idea is proposed that this is inconsequential to history.

Who is to say what really matters in the history of the universe? In various Star Trek episodes, we see evidence of ancient ruins of civilizations long since past. None of this appears on the surface to affect the current civilizations of the galaxy, yet who are we to determine whether their existence was significant to anyone else?

6. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Heh, I sound like Q in that last post eh? I still stand by it though.

7. NIUPonyBoy

NIUPonyBoy Captain Captain

But where was his daddy?

8. Gotham Central

Gotham Central Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually our sun does not have a name. Its simply called Sun. Sol means sun. Our moon has no name. Luna literally means moon. Technically this planet does not have a name either, since Earth or Terra means ground. Thus you can have an Earthquake on any planet. It just means shaking ground. We've come to accept the word for ground as the name of the planet. However, Europeans never bothered to give the sun or the moon a proper name.

9. 14thDoctor

14thDoctor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In Trek, the "galactic" names for Earth things tend to be french. The Solar system is the Sol system, the moon is Luna, humans are called Terrans, and so on.

10. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Isn't it based on Latin, actually?

11. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Yeah, those are all originally derived from Latin.

"Terran" is way cooler than "human." We should all start using that instead.

12. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

He's dead. All your Voyager DVDs disappeared. Go look.

13. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

We saw the TOS bridge n TNG so the Vulcan we saw is the real one.

14. All Seeing Eye

All Seeing Eye Admiral

:wtf: other star systems are also called Solar Systems irregardless of the fact our Sun is called Sol.
    I don't even believe Sol is an official name for our Sun anyway. The French word for Sun is Sol but other than that I don't believe the Sun has an official name.

and I find THAT really annoying. Clearly in reality the timelines have changed so much there's absolutely no chance the same sperm and egg are going to meet this time around.
    I can agree that perhaps their parent still meet and have a child and name that child the same name, so there COULD be a Jean Luc Picard for example but it would not be the same one we came to know.

The writers have no reason to even say they are still born, it's not like they're going to be making a movie set in the future, they could have just either not answered or said no this time they are not born due to the changes. Knowing they are somehow able to still be born makes me feel that Trek hasn't changed that much at all. They've introduced a new timeline and then gone and said the same people still get born, it's completely ridiculous.